Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Brake Recall Out Today on Some 2018 Q5s

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
Red sport calipers vs standard make a difference?
Not sure but got standard on mine.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kbug
Not sure but got standard on mine.

I just looked up my VIN and my SQ5 is affected by the recall, which has the red sport brakes.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by A4w
In in my case it was the June 19 recall - replace the pistons.. my dealership has been waiting on the parts for serval weeks now.

Odd. The recall of June 1st refers to gas bubbles in the brake system (as a whole) due to insufficient chrome plating of the piston in the caliper assembly. But that earier recall notice has yet to be assigned a NHTSB recall numbe; moreover, under the Remedy line, it states “Yet to be determined.”

Yet, the more recent June 19 recall notice refers to the same gas bubble/lack of adequare piston chrome coating but it has a recall number and it has a stated remedy (“Bleed the rear brake system”).

Strange that the earlier notice leaves the remedy as not determined, while the more recent recall notice provides the remedy.

Does this indicate that the more recent recall is supplemetal to the earlier recall? If so, what does one make of the “yet to be determined” status of that first notice, knowing both refer to this chrome plating deficiency with the piston.

If A4w’s service guy is giving him the straight scoop, and his vehicle is released this week, posting this news would be a welcomed sign (that this is not a scenario where the bubble issue is believed to be a piston coating issue, but Audi is not ready to sign off a piston replacement as resolving that bubble issue).

Like A4w and the rest of us in limbo, we’d like to get off this slow boat to China.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:24 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A4w
In in my case it was the June 19 recall - replace the pistons.. my dealership has been waiting on the parts for serval weeks now.
Pistons are rarely replaced in the caliper. Are you sure they aren’t simply replacing the calipers altogether?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not seeing a recall notice when entering my vin on nhtsa. purchased mine from stock inventory last november.

kbug, jam2 - do you have the updated builds with a mesh tailpipe valence and usb port under the climate control?
Old 06-19-2018, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TYJ
Pistons are rarely replaced in the caliper. Are you sure they aren’t simply replacing the calipers altogether?

I was just assuming the pistons would be replaced instead of the whole caliper assembly..but then I really have no idea what would be SOP in a case where a component of the caliper assembly is defective. Seems logical to replace the brake calipers if its cost beneficial to do that (vice messing aound with taking apart the assemby to R & R the piston).
Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW, here are the recall search links, one to the Gov’t web site, the other to Audi’s web site. Just type in your VIN #.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle

Audi Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number

Old 06-19-2018, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JAM2

I just looked up my VIN and my SQ5 is affected by the recall, which has the red sport brakes.

Odd that the SQ5 is affected. Per VWCanada, 5,585 vehicles are impacted:

Make Model Model Year(s) Affected
AUDI Q52018
VOLKSWAGEN ATLAS 2018
VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE2018
VOLKSWAGEN GOLF2018
VOLKSWAGENGOLF WAGON 2018
VOLKSWAGEN GTI2018
VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT2018

Per one guy posting on a Canadian VW forum, the dealer who just sold him a VW Atlas called to him to stop driving it and that it woukd be towed back to the dealership... where is now sits.

Talk about a mind F**k. “Hey honey, the sales rep just called...according to him we need to immediately stop driving the car we just purchased.....he said our new car is such a death trap that he’s coming by later today to tow it back to his lot.”.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've just checked on the website (nhtsa and audi recall service) and My SQ5 built in February 2018 does not have the recall.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:27 AM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

Your probably right... I am not mechanically minded.. -)

Originally Posted by TYJ

Quick Reply: Brake Recall Out Today on Some 2018 Q5s