Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Brake Recall Out Today on Some 2018 Q5s

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:36 AM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

first off - We are dealing with Audi USA head office, not my local dealer, I think they are too terrified of my wife.. (they do have reason to be)

second - I have been informed my car is being done today - and I can pick it up tomorrow morning.

i will ask the service guys what exactly they did. Audi USA clearly has told us they would prefer to take care with everything with the dealer - white glove service, so I haven’t had the chance to talk to the service dept about it. They even delivered the loaner to us and picked up our car..

Originally Posted by jaims

Odd. The recall of June 1st refers to gas bubbles in the brake system (as a whole) due to insufficient chrome plating of the piston in the caliper assembly. But that earier recall notice has yet to be assigned a NHTSB recall numbe; moreover, under the Remedy line, it states “Yet to be determined.”

Yet, the more recent June 19 recall notice refers to the same gas bubble/lack of adequare piston chrome coating but it has a recall number and it has a stated remedy (“Bleed the rear brake system”).

Strange that the earlier notice leaves the remedy as not determined, while the more recent recall notice provides the remedy.

Does this indicate that the more recent recall is supplemetal to the earlier recall? If so, what does one make of the “yet to be determined” status of that first notice, knowing both refer to this chrome plating deficiency with the piston.

If A4w’s service guy is giving him the straight scoop, and his vehicle is released this week, posting this news would be a welcomed sign (that this is not a scenario where the bubble issue is believed to be a piston coating issue, but Audi is not ready to sign off a piston replacement as resolving that bubble issue).

Like A4w and the rest of us in limbo, we’d like to get off this slow boat to China.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by userbbc
Not seeing a recall notice when entering my vin on nhtsa. purchased mine from stock inventory last november.

kbug, jam2 - do you have the updated builds with a mesh tailpipe valence and usb port under the climate control?
affirmative to both.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by A4w
Update:

first off - We are dealing with Audi USA head office, not my local dealer, I think they are too terrified of my wife.. (they do have reason to be)

second - I have been informed my car is being done today - and I can pick it up tomorrow morning.

i will ask the service guys what exactly they did. Audi USA clearly has told us they would prefer to take care with everything with the dealer - white glove service, so I haven’t had the chance to talk to the service dept about it. They even delivered the loaner to us and picked up our car..
Great that you got on top of this..and evidently because you went straight to Audi USA. Let me be the first to offer to send your Wife a retainer fee to take up my case against Audi.

My take on this is that dealers are pissed off as well..they have profits and commissions to lose..not to mention loss of goodwill to buyers like you who had their car jerked out from under them.

Audi hasn’t even posted a remedy yet on the recall website. That’s what I don’t get. If the caliper pistons for these 5500 vehicles were defective and is stated as causing gas bubbles, why is the recall remedy still a “yet to be determined” status. Why isn’t Audi USA moving on to the next phase - ie, getting parts to dealers and resolving the recalled vehicles? Its been 3 weeks for crying out load. Why keep everyone in the dark?

I’m close to dragging out my tin foil hat from the closet and officially declaring that Audi USA is hiding something...even from their own dealers. My SM and the regional manager are telling my salesperson that they can’t even get a straight answer from Audi USA. There’s probably an internal corporate dispute going on over the recall and how it is to be addressed. The most likely explanation...Audi is aware that is has a huge backlog/backorder of replacement brake calipers, that it is a long way from filling these backordered parts, and that it doesn’t want this info to sour pending sales or further **** off dealers who are holding defective stock.

Will look to your updated report ...really hope you are in your vehicle tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 AM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

We didn’t go straight to Audi USA - they reached out to my wife directly to resolve it ASAP. She is a bit of a ‘name’ in her industry and I don’t think they wanted the bad press to be honest.

Maybe we are getting unusual treatment (or are we ? Anyone else with Audi USA taking the lead ?), but, hopefully if they can resolve it on our car, the rest is only a matter of time - hopefully short.

Update while typing this: they just reached out and offered to drop off the car to us today, I said it’s fine to pick up tomorrow from our dealer. I did this because I want to find out what the issue really was...

i will let you all know what I find out...

Great that you got on top of this..and evidently because you went straight to Audi USA. Let me be the first to offer to send your Wife a retainer fee to take up my case against Audi.

My take on this is that dealers are pissed off as well..they have profits and commissions to lose..not to mention loss of goodwill to buyers like you who had their car jerked out from under them.

Audi hasn’t even posted a remedy yet on the recall website. That’s what I don’t get. If the caliper pistons for these 5500 vehicles were defective and is stated as causing gas bubbles, why is the recall remedy still a “yet to be determined” status. Why isn’t Audi USA moving on to the next phase - ie, getting parts to dealers and resolving the recalled vehicles? Its been 3 weeks for crying out load. Why keep everyone in the dark?

I’m close to dragging out my tin foil hat from the closet and officially declaring that Audi USA is hiding something...even from their own dealers. My SM and the regional manager are telling my salesperson that they can’t even get a straight answer from Audi USA. There’s probably an internal corporate dispute going on over the recall and how it is to be addressed. The most likely explanation...Audi is aware that is has a huge backlog/backorder of replacement brake calipers, that it is a long way from filling these backordered parts, and that it doesn’t want this info to sour pending sales or further **** off dealers who are holding defective stock.

Will look to your updated report ...really hope you are in your vehicle tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 AM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

Picked up the car this morning - the service manager was running late so didn’t get to speak to him (yet)..

This was all I got:51WarrantyDone47N6 A-RECALL - GAS BUBBLES IN REAR BRAKE SYSTEM47N6 A-RECALL - GAS BUBBLES IN REAR BRAKE SYSTEM - PERFORMED61WarrantyDone

Originally Posted by A4w

We didn’t go straight to Audi USA - they reached out to my wife directly to resolve it ASAP. She is a bit of a ‘name’ in her industry and I don’t think they wanted the bad press to be honest.

Maybe we are getting unusual treatment (or are we ? Anyone else with Audi USA taking the lead ?), but, hopefully if they can resolve it on our car, the rest is only a matter of time - hopefully short.

Update while typing this: they just reached out and offered to drop off the car to us today, I said it’s fine to pick up tomorrow from our dealer. I did this because I want to find out what the issue really was...

i will let you all know what I find out...

Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow...you should have received something far less vague and non descript as this. Dealer is obligated to provide the car owner with a description and breakdown of all work performed together with a dewcription of all parts used in any service call...warranty or otherwise. Its a real head scratcher why there is no mention of caliper replacement or repair. In fact, about all you have is a paper saying something about bleeding of the brakes. Its as though dealer/SM wants to avoid any documentation of recall work that, per the NHTSB recall notice, describes the remedy for the recall as “yet to be determined.”

Given the foregoing, and the far reaching implications of a brake issue potentially not being properly addressed, I’d request a more descriptive service report if I were in your shoes (of course, along with an appreciative comment for the dealer having stepped to the plate to get you brake parts installed...whatever those installed parts happen to be).
Old 06-21-2018, 09:53 AM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

Thats because all all they did was bleed the brakes ! Just got off a conference call, about to contact Audi head office and find out what is going on..

Wow...you should have received something far less vague and non descript as this. Dealer is obligated to provide the car owner with a description and breakdown of all work performed together with a dewcription of all parts used in any service call...warranty or otherwise. Its a real head scratcher why there is no mention of caliper replacement or repair. In fact, about all you have is a paper saying something about bleeding of the brakes. Its as though dealer/SM wants to avoid any documentation of recall work that, per the NHTSB recall notice, describes the remedy for the recall as “yet to be determined.”

Given the foregoing, and the far reaching implications of a brake issue potentially not being properly addressed, I’d request a more descriptive service report if I were in your shoes (of course, along with an appreciative comment for the dealer having stepped to the plate to get you brake parts installed...whatever those installed parts happen to be).
Old 06-21-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4w
Thats because all all they did was bleed the brakes ! Just got off a conference call, about to contact Audi head office and find out what is going on..

I would be a little concerned with this development, which is why - I'm sure - you would want to look into this further. As you are probably well aware, the brake pistons improper coating is what is supposedly the cause of the bubbles in the brake lines. Consequently, bleeding out that air only addresses a symptom of a defective caliper assembly, leaving the prospect of gas bubbles continuing to form.

I can't help but raise the possibility that Audi may not have definitively nailed down the cause of the air bubbles in the brake lines. This might explain why the first of two recall notices has a "yet to be determined" status in the "Remedy" line of the recall notice. But adding to the confusion, the second (latest) of the brake recalls has a stated remedy, namely "Bleed the REAR brakes. Why would the second (June 19th) recall notice provide a remedy but not the initial June 1st recall? And why does this 2nd recall notice refer to bleeding of only the rear brakes??? Moreover, one would think three weeks is enough time to figure out this gas bubble / improper piston coating issue - this because the brake system involving the forming of gas bubbles is a simple closed system involving the brake line, the brake fluid and the piston assembly (the rest of the brake system not being connected to air issues (ABS, the calipers that engage the rotor, etc)?

All very weird. And it doesn't help with the optics for Audi, referring to VW still reeling from the worst scandal in auto history (fudging emissions and mpg numbers). Is this going to be one of those recalls that start out as 5500, but turn into 550,000??? Where's my tin foil hat...I just put it down for a second and now its gone. Hmmmmm
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 AM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

Their answer, directly from the email I just got:

Thank you for your email and allowing me to clarify the information. 47N6 is the repair for the recall which is to purge the rear brake lines, 47O1 was the preliminary information and a preemptive stop sale until Audi approved the actual repair.

We have identified the concern as a compound on the caliper that breaks down very early after production, and may cause air bubbles in the rear brake lines. With that, the solution is thankfully simple and we will have you back in your vehicle quickly; replacement of the caliper is not necessary. We purged the rear brake lines of the air bubbles which completely remedied the situation in vehicles that are older than 40 days since production, which yours has been.

Since your vehicle is completely repaired, you may not receive a recall notice as the repair will close the recall on your vehicle; if you receive a recall notice in the mail. It will not be necessary to have this repair performed again.

Again, we thank you for your patience, and your commitment to the Audi Brand. We value you as part of our family.

I would be a little concerned with this development, which is why - I'm sure - you would want to look into this further. As you are probably well aware, the brake pistons improper coating is what is supposedly the cause of the bubbles in the brake lines. Consequently, bleeding out that air only addresses a symptom of a defective caliper assembly, leaving the prospect of gas bubbles continuing to form.

I can't help but raise the possibility that Audi may not have definitively nailed down the cause of the air bubbles in the brake lines. This might explain why the first of two recall notices has a "yet to be determined" status in the "Remedy" line of the recall notice. But adding to the confusion, the second (latest) of the brake recalls has a stated remedy, namely "Bleed the REAR brakes. Why would the second (June 19th) recall notice provide a remedy but not the initial June 1st recall? And why does this 2nd recall notice refer to bleeding of only the rear brakes??? Moreover, one would think three weeks is enough time to figure out this gas bubble / improper piston coating issue - this because the brake system involving the forming of gas bubbles is a simple closed system involving the brake line, the brake fluid and the piston assembly (the rest of the brake system not being connected to air issues (ABS, the calipers that engage the rotor, etc)?

All very weird. And it doesn't help with the optics for Audi, referring to VW still reeling from the worst scandal in auto history (fudging emissions and mpg numbers). Is this going to be one of those recalls that start out as 5500, but turn into 550,000??? Where's my tin foil hat...I just put it down for a second and now its gone. Hmmmmm
Old 06-21-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
Red sport calipers vs standard make a difference?
Yes, SQ5 brake calipers and discs are larger than the regular Q5 so the pistons will most likely be different as well. I think also the SQ5 have six piston monoblock calipers and regular SQ5 have 4 piston calipers. So its hard to imagine the recall affecting both but then again, the pistons could have come from the same supplier, which maybe Brembo. The SQ5 calipers look like Brembos to me.

Quick Reply: Brake Recall Out Today on Some 2018 Q5s