Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Brake Recall Out Today on Some 2018 Q5s

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by A4w
Their answer, directly from the email I just got:

Thank you for your email and allowing me to clarify the information. 47N6 is the repair for the recall which is to purge the rear brake lines, 47O1 was the preliminary information and a preemptive stop sale until Audi approved the actual repair.

We have identified the concern as a compound on the caliper that breaks down very early after production, and may cause air bubbles in the rear brake lines. With that, the solution is thankfully simple and we will have you back in your vehicle quickly; replacement of the caliper is not necessary. We purged the rear brake lines of the air bubbles which completely remedied the situation in vehicles that are older than 40 days since production, which yours has been.

Since your vehicle is completely repaired, you may not receive a recall notice as the repair will close the recall on your vehicle; if you receive a recall notice in the mail. It will not be necessary to have this repair performed again.

Again, we thank you for your patience, and your commitment to the Audi Brand. We value you as part of our family.
Very interesting response you received from what I hope is someone high in AudiUSA - someone who was not making a career decision by passing off as a legitimate fix, a brake bleed remedy. No doubt steps you took to get more information about release of the vehicle after only a bleeding of the rear brakes was predicated on the serious safety consequences of an improper brake fix.

Your emailed response from Audi may end up sending ripples through the Audi world. There are dozens of GMs awaiting delivery of hundreds of sold vehicles with a port hold. And many also have my situation: a sold vehicle "on the ground" that is burning through the dealers flooring expense (unlike port recall holds, where the dealer has yet to pay the invoice).

My sales rep informed me that after receipt of this info, the Gen Serv Manager is now on the phone to the GM, who happens to be in Germany right now. If I was a GM, I would be more than a little hot under the collar - knowing that Audi may well be playing games with his bottom line.

Many thanks to A4w for sharing this new piece of the puzzle.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great news - for me anyways. After an email to my dealer with A4w’s email excerpt from AudiUSA (posted above), I received a call from my rep that I have been green lighted to pick up my Q5 tomorrow. Its is an April 2018 build, which evidently is the production month that is the subject of the Brake caliper piston recall.

Still no explanation of what is going on with this weird recall issue...just that my sales rep and GM went to bat for me on this so I could get the car (and they could get paid).

Its still a bummer for hundreds of buyers whose ordered cars are stuck at port. Adding to their woes is not receiving any ETA from Audi...which is what is so disappointing. I know there can be a lot of moving parts and steps in a recall scenario...but its been three weeks since the recall was first posted...and Audi has yet to post what is to be the recall remedy. Strange ....if gas bubbles are forming in the brake line, it can only be a defective piston (so stated in the recall notice) or a brake line leak (doubtful).. So why wouldn’t replacement of the calipers (or the caliper pistons,which is less likely to be the fix) posted as the recall remedy? Why aren’t parts being ordered and ETAs for the distribution and install by the dealers (or to the ports) being provided by Audi?

And then, why is my car (and A4w’s car) allowed to be released from the recall hold? Better sign off for now ... need to place a call to my agent to make sure my life insurance premiums are up to date.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:00 PM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That’s great news - what I was told (on the phone - not in writing) was there was some small chance of some trace smear that got into the production run.. and the piston was correctly coated, but the smear (of something) generated air bubbles in one qa case.

Hopefully this is going to clear thru, and the cars get released very soon.

used the traffic assist for about 45 minutes on the 170 and 5 freeways (don’t you just love Los Angeles traffic :-)) - really performed well...

Originally Posted by jaims
Great news - for me anyways. After an email to my dealer with A4w’s email excerpt from AudiUSA (posted above), I received a call from my rep that I have been green lighted to pick up my Q5 tomorrow. Its is an April 2018 build, which evidently is the production month that is the subject of the Brake caliper piston recall.

Still no explanation of what is going on with this weird recall issue...just that my sales rep and GM went to bat for me on this so I could get the car (and they could get paid).

Its still a bummer for hundreds of buyers whose ordered cars are stuck at port. Adding to their woes is not receiving any ETA from Audi...which is what is so disappointing. I know there can be a lot of moving parts and steps in a recall scenario...but its been three weeks since the recall was first posted...and Audi has yet to post what is to be the recall remedy. Strange ....if gas bubbles are forming in the brake line, it can only be a defective piston (so stated in the recall notice) or a brake line leak (doubtful).. So why wouldn’t replacement of the calipers (or the caliper pistons,which is less likely to be the fix) posted as the recall remedy? Why aren’t parts being ordered and ETAs for the distribution and install by the dealers (or to the ports) being provided by Audi?

And then, why is my car (and A4w’s car) allowed to be released from the recall hold? Better sign off for now ... need to place a call to my agent to make sure my life insurance premiums are up to date.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

FYI: Today one of the two recalls posted on the Audi and NHTSA recall pages has been dropped. There were two recall notices, both related to the brake piston and gas bubbles forming in the brake line. The most recent one (June 19th) is the one that has fallen off. The June 1st is still on the recall site, and remains without an assigned NHTSA recall number and also, a remedy (fix) that is listed as "Yet to be determined."

/Don't quite know what to make of this, unless it is Audi being super cautious about the brake issue - if it is going to actually remain an issue. Who knows, it could be that Audi is still going through a testing/evaluaiton process where they are trying to nail down whether this is a real issue or one that happened in only a few vehicles. My guess is that it is the latter, and that the recall will soon be lifted. This would be good news for hundred of Q5s and SQ5s (and VWs) being stuck at port on this hold.

Can hardly blame Audi for being overly cautious. I mean, that emissions scandal probably led to more rigorous protocols regarding how VW addresses anything to do with their vehicles, vis a vis the gov't oversight agencies and their procedures.

Still, Audi should not have an information black out over this. Just bad PR and customer service.

Last edited by jaims; 06-23-2018 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-28-2018, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Transport Canada Updated the Recall Details. They will replace the calipers:

Recall Details
Old 06-28-2018, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Edirol
Transport Canada Updated the Recall Details. They will replace the calipers:

Recall Details
Although my car was flagged as recalled under the original notices posted on both the Audi and the NHTSA sites, I am relieved tonight to see my VIN now shows zero recalls under both sites. My guess is that Audi was able to narrow down those vehicles that had substandard piston coatings on the brake calipers. Evidently, Audi initially cast a wide recall net over all April 2018 builds in an abundance of caution.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is strange. I refreshed the Transport Canada recall notice and now it reads: "Correction: Dealers will bleed the front or rear brakes as necessary." It said replace calipers prior.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i just pick up a pre-won 2018 sq5 with 23k miles and compering to new Sq5 i tested the braking seams lacking. I have checked with NHTSA but VIN have not found recalls. Could it still be affected ? would a Audi dealer still look and check this for free?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2018, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
i just pick up a pre-won 2018 sq5 with 23k miles and compering to new Sq5 i tested the braking seams lacking. I have checked with NHTSA but VIN have not found recalls. Could it still be affected ? would a Audi dealer still look and check this for free?

Thanks
Yes, as it is still under warranty.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you sir,

Quick Reply: Brake Recall Out Today on Some 2018 Q5s