Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Broke off my shark fin and need help with estimate

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Would be pretty pricey to seal it up and not be noticeable, too. This falls into the **** happens category and either go through insurance and suck it up on increased premiums or just bit the bullet and cut a check. Leaving it open is going to cause water damage so not something to play around with long. Keep in mind there's other electronics on the wire harness than just the antenna. You corrode that and it's not unreasonable to find the car gets totalled. You're looking at hundreds of hours in labor to replace the electronics if the harness corrode and shorts out. If you think that sounds extreme, my favorite story from when circuit city was on the downturn was they did a complete hack job on a stereo install. Somehow managed to short out every electronic on that portion of the harness. Repair estimate was more than the price of the car!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

I backed the top of the hatch into my garage door with my previous van. I always wait now until it is completely open. Fortunately, it wasn't the kind of car where a perfect looking body mattered for resale or even aesthetics. But I'd bite the bullet if it happened to my SQ5.

These cars are so crazy expensive to repair. It's one thing to be able to afford buying. The upkeep on repairs is something else.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Too many don't realize this. My first nice car was allotted 3-5k a year for breaking parts and maint.
BMW 740i
Old 03-30-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Weebl
Too many don't realize this. My first nice car was allotted 3-5k a year for breaking parts and maint.
BMW 740i
Only 3k for a 740!? That won't cover the first time a tire needs air! Haha jk
Old 03-30-2019, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Unless you have owned an E38... little do you know.
Unlike most mine was an exceptional car and had few of the problems.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Weebl
Unless you have owned an E38... little do you know.
Unlike most mine was an exceptional car and had few of the problems.
Those cars had a terrible reputation. I think a lot of it was from people thinking they were luxury Hondas that never do regular maintenance until things were broken
Old 06-19-2019, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi My2018Q5, I had the exact same incident earlier today and I am looking for some help. Can you please tell me what you did to fix it.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Looking for any tips on replacing my shark fin antenna on the 2018 SQ5. Dealer said the warranty will not cover it and they cannot give me a rough estimate. Any tips please thank you
Old 02-08-2021, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ripped mine off (2014 SQ5) when backing out to work and my garage door malfunctioned and opened only part way. Bought a replacement cover and painted it myself, the had an indie access the antenna by lowering the headliner from the rear. He massaged the somewhat dimpled roof, fixed the connection, and assembled the antenna and reattached. It's not perfect but now one can notice - cost about $150. If the roof is much more dented, you'll need to have a more extensive repair.
The following users liked this post:
Razvan Grigoras (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Shark fin antenna broken

The weird part about it is there is no roof damage or anything. Just the antenna came off after taking the cover off the vehicle. So I don’t think there is any wire damage just the green Bluetooth antenna and the actual screw holder cap. I’m thinking I just need a new Bluetooth antenna which still works fine .... as does the navigation... I’m wondering if there is anyway to just glue the shark fin antenna back on top of the broke screw

Quick Reply: Broke off my shark fin and need help with estimate