Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Broken Sun Visor Mount (not the clip)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Sun Visor Mount (not the clip)

Anyone here have their sun visor pivot mount break? The portion that is inside the headliner (that hold the whole visor and where it swivels on) on the opposite side of the retaining clip was broken in two on my drivers side.

I had to do a quick repair on it last night since it was loose.

I also noticed the cheapness of how our sun visors are mounted while doing the repair. The passenger side on mine is still in one piece but it does wiggle around in place when I have it swiveled out.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by parad1mg
Anyone here have their sun visor pivot mount break? The portion that is inside the headliner (that hold the whole visor and where it swivels on) on the opposite side of the retaining clip was broken in two on my drivers side.

I had to do a quick repair on it last night since it was loose.

I also noticed the cheapness of how our sun visors are mounted while doing the repair. The passenger side on mine is still in one piece but it does wiggle around in place when I have it swiveled out.
Do you mind sharing how your broke it? It might be a good lesson for all in what to look out for.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Do you mind sharing how your broke it? It might be a good lesson for all in what to look out for.
I didn't break it. I noticed that the sun visor was "loose" in its place. That's when I started looking into it and found that the mount was broken.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Same here, my wife noticed it, I was not driving it so have no idea how it broke. The dealer had to order the part, and it is a 200 mile round trip to the dealer, so a royal pain to have it fixed. Now we are super careful clipping/unclipping the visor. Again, this is not the clip, but the part that inserts into the headliner.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mattsedona
Same here, my wife noticed it, I was not driving it so have no idea how it broke. The dealer had to order the part, and it is a 200 mile round trip to the dealer, so a royal pain to have it fixed. Now we are super careful clipping/unclipping the visor. Again, this is not the clip, but the part that inserts into the headliner.
My dealership is 40 miles away which takes about an hour in commiefornia traffic.

I noticed it on a weekend afternoon and just repaired it myself. Had to build a steel frame then fill up the void with jb kwikweld. It's stronger that the original part now but I still had to use some closed cell pads to lessen the wiggle between the mount and the headliner.

It's senseless that audi would use or utilize such a cheap design for something that is going to see a lot of repetitive motion.