Bumper Protectors - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bumper Protectors

Old 10-13-2018, 01:19 PM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Default Bumper Protectors

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but I was thinking of getting bumper protectors. I don't know which ones to get and am unsure of the quality of them and if they're worth it. For those who do, pls let me know

Cheers!
Just some that I saw.



s7edgeuser is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 02:55 PM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Calgary
Posts: 904
Default

I bought the 3M clear bra for that lip on my BMW 3-series. Easy to install, stops the scratches on the top of the bumper area. It was a couple years ago, so I cannot remember which online retailer I got it from.
Wires is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 03:15 PM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: rhodeisland
Posts: 90
Default

I have a dealer installed 3M clear piece which extends from the gasket to the split just above the b/up lights/rear reflector - width is about an inch or two wider than the stainless strip and kind of bisects a line about 1/2 way through the b/up lights. It is only to protect the paint on the lip -- have the world's only Golden Retriever who doesn't like to ride in a car. I often have to put his front paws on the lip and hoist the rest of him in.
Dealer charged me about $100............gouge, gouge
ronsal is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 06:54 PM
  #4  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Default

Oh alright. Was thinking of doing 3M film too. But for a diy install the one I found would be easier right?. But then again the 3M protects more area. Thanks for your inputs!
s7edgeuser is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 08:08 PM
  #5  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Calgary
Posts: 904
Default

I wish I could remember what I bought. The kit (around $30) came with the film, squeegee and tiny squirt bottle. It was a pretty easy install.

Nice thing about the film is if you have scratches already on the bumper, it bonds to them and they are no longer visible.
Wires is online now  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:07 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Posts: 97
Default

Originally Posted by ronsal View Post
I have a dealer installed 3M clear piece which extends from the gasket to the split just above the b/up lights/rear reflector - width is about an inch or two wider than the stainless strip and kind of bisects a line about 1/2 way through the b/up lights. It is only to protect the paint on the lip -- have the world's only Golden Retriever who doesn't like to ride in a car. I often have to put his front paws on the lip and hoist the rest of him in.
Dealer charged me about $100............gouge, gouge
Funny I was trying to think of a way to protect that lip on the rear bumper from scratches for when we get a dog (coming soon)
One of the reasons why we are getting another SUV is so that we have that rear space for a dog.
The 3M clear piece sounds like a good idea but I'm wondering how it looks and just how well it prevents the dogs nails from scratching the paintwork?
I know it's clear but is it noticeable especially after it's been on for awhile?
JonnyRotten is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:34 AM
  #7  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Default

Can anyone post pics of the finished product of 3M film installed? Cheers!
s7edgeuser is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:59 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: rhodeisland
Posts: 90
Default

Originally Posted by JonnyRotten View Post
Funny I was trying to think of a way to protect that lip on the rear bumper from scratches for when we get a dog (coming soon)
One of the reasons why we are getting another SUV is so that we have that rear space for a dog.
The 3M clear piece sounds like a good idea but I'm wondering how it looks and just how well it prevents the dogs nails from scratching the paintwork?
I know it's clear but is it noticeable especially after it's been on for awhile?
Had my Q5 from 7/17 to last month, and never even knew it was on. That car was monsoon grey. Dogs nails never scratched it. Current SQ is Daytona Grey. It is so unobtrusive, that when I wanted to respond to op, I had to go look and feel its edges. This car is only 2 weeks old. Talk to me in a couple of years and I'll tell you if it is still holding up : -).
By the way, the dealer told me that if it does start to yellow in a few years or so, can just be peeled off and replaced. My other car was not garaged, so it had been exposed to the elements for 14 months.
ronsal is online now  
Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Posts: 97
Default

Originally Posted by s7edgeuser View Post
Can anyone post pics of the finished product of 3M film installed? Cheers!
Ya that would be very much appreciated!
JonnyRotten is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: rhodeisland
Posts: 90
Default

Originally Posted by s7edgeuser View Post
Can anyone post pics of the finished product of 3M film installed? Cheers!
You can't see it!!! lol Good stuff........
ronsal is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bumper Protectors


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: