Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bumper Protectors

Old 10-13-2018, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bumper Protectors

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but I was thinking of getting bumper protectors. I don't know which ones to get and am unsure of the quality of them and if they're worth it. For those who do, pls let me know

Cheers!
Just some that I saw.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought the 3M clear bra for that lip on my BMW 3-series. Easy to install, stops the scratches on the top of the bumper area. It was a couple years ago, so I cannot remember which online retailer I got it from.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a dealer installed 3M clear piece which extends from the gasket to the split just above the b/up lights/rear reflector - width is about an inch or two wider than the stainless strip and kind of bisects a line about 1/2 way through the b/up lights. It is only to protect the paint on the lip -- have the world's only Golden Retriever who doesn't like to ride in a car. I often have to put his front paws on the lip and hoist the rest of him in.
Dealer charged me about $100............gouge, gouge
Old 10-13-2018, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh alright. Was thinking of doing 3M film too. But for a diy install the one I found would be easier right?. But then again the 3M protects more area. Thanks for your inputs!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wish I could remember what I bought. The kit (around $30) came with the film, squeegee and tiny squirt bottle. It was a pretty easy install.

Nice thing about the film is if you have scratches already on the bumper, it bonds to them and they are no longer visible.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ronsal View Post
I have a dealer installed 3M clear piece which extends from the gasket to the split just above the b/up lights/rear reflector - width is about an inch or two wider than the stainless strip and kind of bisects a line about 1/2 way through the b/up lights. It is only to protect the paint on the lip -- have the world's only Golden Retriever who doesn't like to ride in a car. I often have to put his front paws on the lip and hoist the rest of him in.
Dealer charged me about $100............gouge, gouge
Funny I was trying to think of a way to protect that lip on the rear bumper from scratches for when we get a dog (coming soon)
One of the reasons why we are getting another SUV is so that we have that rear space for a dog.
The 3M clear piece sounds like a good idea but I'm wondering how it looks and just how well it prevents the dogs nails from scratching the paintwork?
I know it's clear but is it noticeable especially after it's been on for awhile?
Old 10-14-2018, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can anyone post pics of the finished product of 3M film installed? Cheers!
Old 10-14-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JonnyRotten View Post
Funny I was trying to think of a way to protect that lip on the rear bumper from scratches for when we get a dog (coming soon)
One of the reasons why we are getting another SUV is so that we have that rear space for a dog.
The 3M clear piece sounds like a good idea but I'm wondering how it looks and just how well it prevents the dogs nails from scratching the paintwork?
I know it's clear but is it noticeable especially after it's been on for awhile?
Had my Q5 from 7/17 to last month, and never even knew it was on. That car was monsoon grey. Dogs nails never scratched it. Current SQ is Daytona Grey. It is so unobtrusive, that when I wanted to respond to op, I had to go look and feel its edges. This car is only 2 weeks old. Talk to me in a couple of years and I'll tell you if it is still holding up : -).
By the way, the dealer told me that if it does start to yellow in a few years or so, can just be peeled off and replaced. My other car was not garaged, so it had been exposed to the elements for 14 months.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s7edgeuser View Post
Ya that would be very much appreciated!
Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s7edgeuser View Post
You can't see it!!! lol Good stuff........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bumper Protectors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: