Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

C&D Comparison Test - 2018 Audi SQ5 vs. 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43, 2017 Porsche Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
How about a "Driver's SUV"?
lol sounds paradoxical
Old 10-24-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daberlin
One day a lady walked up to my wife and I at the supermarket as we were getting into our Porsche. She said, 'I love your car! What kind of gas mileage do you get in it'. I said to her thank you very much, but honestly I have NO idea. I hope as little as possible! :-) The look of confusion on her face was priceless. A Porsche is never about getting from A to B. Which is why I didn't buy one to replace my wife's SUV. She has completely different priorities than I do in a vehicle. She loves the SQ5, and I love making her happy. Win Win. The MB GLC 43/63, and Macan S/Turbo are amazing vehicles. But that doesn't mean the Q5/SQ5 is an also ran third. In our book, the SQ5 came in first and we are still thrilled with the decision.

PDK vs. Manual. Ah, a fiery topic on a different forum. My current and prior Porsche is/was PDK. I live in LA and couldn't deal with a Manual as a daily driver for even 5 minutes. That said, the bog standard ZF transmission in the SQ5 is no slouch and who cares if it doesn't shift in 100ms. Frankly, only time will tell how durable the PDK is after 10/15 years. $15K replacement btw if it packs it in. Porsche does NOT repair PDKs!
Good reply... And from someone who's actually owned a Porsche and understands where I'm coming from (even if we're not in lockstep)

My comparison is nit-icky because I currently drive both of the cars mentioned on a daily basis. Very different the two, but that's a good thing.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the likelihood we will see minor tweaks and improvements for the 2019 SQ5 such as a slight HP bump or engine/trans tuning? Fairly new to Audi so I'm not sure how many changes, if any, are expected between model years when it's not a full up refresh.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foxonwheels
What is the likelihood we will see minor tweaks and improvements for the 2019 SQ5 such as a slight HP bump or engine/trans tuning? Fairly new to Audi so I'm not sure how many changes, if any, are expected between model years when it's not a full up refresh.
Unlikely to see a HP jump, maybe a BO will be an option. Engine and trans won't change until a refresh
Old 10-25-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Unlikely to see a HP jump, maybe a BO will be an option. Engine and trans won't change until a refresh
Agreed. I also think Audi will periodically release engine and transmission software updates.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
One day a lady walked up to my wife and I at the supermarket as we were getting into our Porsche. She said, 'I love your car! What kind of gas mileage do you get in it'. I said to her thank you very much, but honestly I have NO idea. I hope as little as possible! :-) The look of confusion on her face was priceless. !
Sounds like the conversation I had with my Sister in Law last weekend. She just purchased a Lexus RX 350 or whatever it's called and she pulled up next to my AMG( BTW, I ended up with the GLE 63S not the GLC 43) She asked me what gas mileage I was getting and I stated "I don't know, maybe 7 or 8 MPG". She stated "that's horrible you should take it back to the dealer and see what's wrong with it". I said "I think it's a horsepower issue".

Later that day as we were leaving the function we were at she said, "We should race them one of these days" I just laughed but she thinks because they are both white SUVs, they would probably be neck and neck.

Non-car people get on my nerves....
Old 10-25-2017, 11:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stiff suspension on GLC43, fingerprint magnet console, blind spot blinker in the mirror, waivy exterior that looks like an old hag in Hello Kitty attire... The Mercedes Benz needs to fire their marketing staff along with their CEO, let their ENGINEERs go back to the f-ing drawing board, and rebuild the car and company from scratch before they even get into the discussion. Steve Jobs already told you how to be a success. MBA morons ruined the great auto-company with their IRR and RONA short-sightenness.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

The PDK in the current Macan is Audi's DL501 transmission, as used in various MLB platform models (but not used in MLB Evo). The new Macan will move to a ZF made PDK, when it finally transitions to the MLB Evo platform next year. Porsche don't make transmissions, which would explain why they can't repair it.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ConnorM97
Stiff suspension on GLC43, fingerprint magnet console, blind spot blinker in the mirror, waivy exterior that looks like an old hag in Hello Kitty attire... The Mercedes Benz needs to fire their marketing staff along with their CEO, let their ENGINEERs go back to the f-ing drawing board, and rebuild the car and company from scratch before they even get into the discussion. Steve Jobs already told you how to be a success. MBA morons ruined the great auto-company with their IRR and RONA short-sightenness.
Mercedes happens to be killing it in sales, the luxury leader. I’ve been a long time Mercedes customer who moved to Audi this year. The glc43 is a very nice vehicle, just not as nice as the sq5 imo. I don’t like the fact that they’ve gone to run flats and their suspension is much less forgiving on rough roads, love the sq air suspension. But the glc43 is quicker and more responsive, I just preferred the overall Audi package, others go for outright performance and prefer the glc. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas
Good reply... And from someone who's actually owned a Porsche and understands where I'm coming from (even if we're not in lockstep)

My comparison is nit-icky because I currently drive both of the cars mentioned on a daily basis. Very different the two, but that's a good thing.
I actually agree with most of your comments I've read. Frankly, if I could get a similarly spec'd Macan (I was on the Porsche configurator for days before we decided on another Audi) for the same price as I paid for the SQ5, there would be no question we'd have two Porsche's (technically three, the '71 Bug is in the garage as well) today. :-)

Quick Reply: C&D Comparison Test - 2018 Audi SQ5 vs. 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43, 2017 Porsche Macan S