Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

C&D Comparison Test - 2018 Audi SQ5 vs. 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43, 2017 Porsche Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I'm not looking to argue or name call - and maybe you are correct, but I find it hard to believe that the Cayenne would be faster than all of those other cars.
Have you not heard of the Cayenne Turbo S? You put a big enough twin turbo V8 in a SUV and it will go fast!
Old 01-18-2018, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dawiz4u
Have you not heard of the Cayenne Turbo S? You put a big enough twin turbo V8 in a SUV and it will go fast!
I did own a Macan last year, never looked at Cayenne's - way to big a car for my needs, so I am not aware of the various models and performance levels of the Cayenne's, but could imagine that Porsche would offer a high performance version. But faster than a 911? Wow!
Old 01-18-2018, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Thats what makes it a ballgame! For me, the best total package was the sq, looks, comfort, technology, reasonable performance. I have the Prestige with the air suspension and couldn’t disagree more regarding the suspension, it’s certainly not bouncy and is very well composed, I’d say it’s the high point of the cars performance. The bmw ride is similar to the Mercedes glc43, precise but also kind of firm, you feel every bump and rut in the road. That gives you the go cart like handling, but on real world roads beats the crap out of your body, fun for a while but that feeling can quickly turn into dread imo. Careful what you wish for unless you expect to be driving often on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Regards. Ned.

I agree. Everyone's needs and preferences are different. I have had 2 Q5's - last one being a 2014 2.0. The first one was the 2009 Q5 3.2 - the first MY Q5. I bought that after testing out the X3 and Infiniti FX 45. After 10 minutes of my first time test driving the Q5 - I liked the smoother, more composed ride in the Q5, yet it hugged the road very well and felt as solid as a tank - and no it did not drive like one! Fast forward a few years and I bought the 2014 Q5. I was skeptical at first at the notion of a 2.0 engine being powerful to haul a 4k lb car, but though not a challenger to the Q5 3.0 V6, it suited me well. But a year or so later and I took another look at the X3's again (don't remember which particular model, probably the smaller engine one) and just felt too many bumps in these NJ roads. When the MB GLC came out, I took a drive in that - and my immediate impression was similar to yours - I was feeling every bump in the road and couldn't wait to get back into my Q5.
But, then again, I wasn't testing any of these cars to see which was the fastest. I was looking for that package of what you mention - "looks, comfort, technology, reasonable performance" but I would add another factor - price, to my decision. And with the X3, GLS and later with the Macan S (which I briefly owned last year) the ala cart menu to get the car I would like was out of my budget.
All the cars mentioned are excellent and there isn't any wrong or right here - its simply user preferences.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I'm not looking to argue or name call - and maybe you are correct, but I find it hard to believe that the Cayenne would be faster than all of those other cars.
Times are posted and public. Stop being in denial.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S costs $161,000 base so I don't really think that is a reasonable comparison to a $41,000 Ford Focus RS. But anyway, I have a SQ5 : 354 hp @ 5400 rpm and : 369 lb-ft @ 1370 rpm; 0-60 5.0 sec. seems pretty fast to me, gets me to the grocery store and back. YMMV
Old 04-11-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dawiz4u
I have to agree with a lot of your points. The ride of the SQ5 is very balanced between comfort and Dynamic modes. It just was not quite as smooth as the Macan with air suspension and 20” wheels, but perfectly acceptable. I actually find the SQ5 quicker off the line than the Macan, because of the lower gearing of the 8 speed auto. Of course the Macan will pass the Audi once the turbo boost kicks in fully on the Macan.This makes the Audi more drivable in my opinion, especially in slow traffic. I whole heartedly agree that the SQ5 is a better value than the Macan. The standard Macan interior and sound system is pretty basic for a luxury suv. The SQ5 comes pretty loaded before you add the Napa seats and carbon inlays. The sport exhaust and sport design-like exterior (extra on the Macan S, standard on the GTS) come standard on the SQ5. I love the sport pedals too. The B&O sound is a reasonably priced option at $950 and is far superior to the Macan Bose sound system option. Overall, I’m very happy with my SQ5!
I would like to know your updated opinion of the SQ5 with your new 20" wheels and all-season tires compared to the above Porsche Macan. Thanks

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 04-11-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Times are posted and public. Stop being in denial.
I just saw this response today. I'm not in denial about anything let alone an SUV's speed. Lose the attitude. I'm simply surprised at the results.