Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Cakasky’s Audi Q5 2018

Old 11-20-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cakasky’s Audi Q5 2018

Hi Everyone,

Here is my write-up on my latest Audi Q5 with all my observations.

VAG COM (VCDS) Customization's...

The standard caveats exist where you should do a full scan and clear any error codes. I had two issues where the initial factory tests still had several fault codes as the car was produced. Again, remember to save often!

Security Codes
  • 09 Central Electronics: 20113
  • 13 Auto Distance Regulation: 20103
  • 6D Trunk Electric: 12345
  • 57 TV Tuner: 20103
  • CA Sunroof: 20103
  • 5F Information Electronics: 20103

Disable Seatbelt Warning
17 Instruments --> Long Coding --> Byte 0 : Bit 2-4 (00 Seat belt warning OFF)

Needle Sweep when Starting the Car
17 Instruments --> Long Coding --> Byte 1 : Bit 0 (Staging:YES = ON)

Turn OFF Orange Side Marker
09 Cent Elect --> Long Coding --> Byte 6 : Bit 5 (sidemarker_also_as_indicator,active = OFF)

Enable MMI Lock When Driving Option
46 Central Conv --> Long Coding --> Byte 35 : Bit 0 (automatic_lock_not_at_mmi = OFF)

Open Sunroof Fully versus 4/5 by Default
CA Sunroof --> Security Access --> Adaptation -->
IDE09451-MAS08937 Travel path-Sliding position intermed pos. --> not active

Display Gear in Virtual Cockpit
02 Auto Trans --> Security Access --> Adaptation -->
IDE04111-Single gear display --> D on/S on

Convenience Turn Signal Flashing (3 to 4)
46 Central Conv --> Security Access --> Adaptation -->
IDE04923-MAS08465-Turn signal control-Freeway flashing: flashing cycles --> 4

Disable Winking DRL
09 Cent Elect --> Long Coding --> Byte 2 : Bit 3 (sl_at_drl,active = ON)
Note: DRL is still slightly dimmed, but does not completely turn off

Activate Low Beam when Flashing High Beam
09 Cent Elect --> Long Coding --> Byte 0 : Bit 7 (lowbeam_at_flash,active = ON)

Allow Navigation Panning while Driving
5F Information Elect --> Security Access --> Adaptation -->
IDE11502-ENG127564-Locked menu contents-FB_NAV_3 --> non_blocked
Note: Reboot MMI Navigation afterwards or just wait awhile
To reboot the MMI Navigation, Hold Nav/Map + Radio + Push Down on Center **** at the same time
~Page 253 of the Owners Manual

Disable Traffic Sign Not Available Warning (TBD) – Any help here would be appreciated
Disable Auto Highbeam Reset (TBD) – Any help here would be appreciated
Enable Video On Demand (TBD) – Any help here would be appreciated

What...
2018 Q5 2.0T Quattro S-Tronic (FYB5NY)
Prestige Model (WPT)
Color: Manhattan Gray Metallic (H1H1)
Leather: Nougat Brown (Includes Black Headliner) (ZK)
Inlays: Gray Oak High-Gloss (5MT)
Wheels: 20” 5 Segment Spoke 255/45 All Season Tires

Packages:
Cold Weather Package (PAW)
Warm Weather Package (PS8)
Driver Assistance Package (PCU)
Adaptive Damping Suspension (1BL)
Rear side airbags (4X4)

MMI:
Software version: 1118
Gracenote db: Region=NORTH_AMERICA – Version=12
Navigation db: V03959801GH 0060 NAR 2017/2018
Media Driver: CLU8_MMX2QC_AU_NAR_G22_017PROD-1
Telephone Driver: 10.593.998

Notes:

Prestige is really the only way to go to get these double pane windows. They do make a difference and is the first thing everyone notices in regard to how quiet the cabin is. Simply put, this is a must have. The rest is just candy, such as the B&O system, accent lighting, etc.

The exterior color is your typical dark gray, nothing unique. Atypically you will have either a dark colored car or a light-colored color. This one fits into the dark colored car category and is an area of personal choice, but some colors I would not recommend are Black, Midnight Blue, and Silver. They look nice, but the dark colored ones are simply hard to maintain unless you have that much time to constantly be washing your car. Also, if you don’t mind all those swirl marks then it doesn’t matter. I lumped in Silver having had it for 8 years, in my humble opinion it’s just a boring color. I do love the interior colors A LOT. The black headliner along with the Nougat brown is spot on the best combination that I have ever owned. The only annoying nit I have are these stupid big ugly warning stickers on the sun visors! US laws, pffff. Anybody have euro part numbers for me to replace these rather than attempt to rip the stickers off? I am having a hard time located ones without the warning labels.

Even though I do like the Gray Oak High-Gloss inlay, it looks very black. It goes really well with the rest of the interior. The big butt on the inlay is around the center console being prone to scratch. For this reason, I would recommend the Fine Grain Ash inlay for the extra cost. The one positive is how easy it is to clean the inlay.

The 20” wheels are really a perfect size for this car. Anything more or less just wouldn’t be the same. One caveat is that this goes well with the Adaptive Damping Suspension. The brake dust is not as much as it used to be, but is there and read later on about how I took care of this pesky issue. The rims are not my favorite and not having any choices for the US market leaves us nowhere. I did get the Tire and Wheel package for 5 years to cover repair costs due to how much tire and rims at this size can cost (recommended). It’s essentially insurance where I seem to be prone to scuffing my rims more than I care for.
I have to say the heated steering wheel is the best thing since sliced bread. First time owner of this and my whole family is jealous of this single feature. For all you SQ5 flat-bottom steering wheel owners, you look cool but my hands are nice and toasty within a couple minutes of driving. A feature where functionality I think trumps that coolness factor.

The warm weather package brings us the sport seats with the ventilation. I tried out the ventilation on those hot days after a decent workout, and I noticed a little difference but not as much as my expectations were at. So, meh, a feature I could do without. The seats though after a really long time can get uncomfortable where I am adjusting myself. To give some perspective, the standard seats are the least comfortable, the sport seats are more comfortable, and my old 2010 Q5 SLine standard seats were the most comfortable. Cost savings or something, I just have no idea what Audi was thinking here. Even my A5 was more comfortable with bucket seats. It’s not so horrible that I can’t stand it, but this is an area that can use some improvement.

Driver’s Assistance Package is essentially a must have now a day for the mere safety. The safety comes in the form of the active lane assist when you go above 40 mph. This is super easy and the vehicle adjusts you to stay in your lane if you drift to one edge or another. I have had a couple occasions where it was confused because of a turn lane and it wanted to send me to the other lane next to me. Just pay attention and you can override the system by overpowering that adjustment with the steering wheel. Also, to disengage it temporarily, use your turn signal before changing lanes which is how we all should be driving anyways. The adaptive cruise control and traffic jam assist do work, but you have to learn and teach yourself to trust the vehicle. I’m still a noob in training here. Trusting electronics for me is a challenge. The high beam assistance is AWESOME! I want to have this ON by default or have the setting remember my last setting. I’ll keep this post updated if I find the VCDS coding for this one. Traffic sign recognition works most of the time, in school zones it has a lot of room for improvement. Also having the adaptive cruise control honor the speed limit based on the traffic sign recognition is FUBAR. It does what it is programmed to do which is slow you down or speed you up based on the speed limit, but if you set things to be 5 mph over then when the speed limit goes back to 65 mph why isn’t your cruise setting back to 70 mph? Also, the number of false negatives here due to the traffic sign recognition is through the roof. I’m sorry but, it’s not going to be 20 mph through a school zone at 9 pm at night.

The Adaptive Damping Suspension is really great and I notice it. This is especially effective when you have to stop suddenly due to some idiot that cuts you off just because your car is nicer than theirs! There really isn’t any setting to turn this on or off. In the drive select for Suspension Control simply set this to ‘Dynamic’ to have it activated. The average person would not notice the suspension here, but once you get that comment “It’s a nice ride.” you can thank the Adaptive Damping Suspension in part for that. This goes well with the 20” wheels like I mentioned previously.

The rear side airbags option is simply a safety feature. Honestly this should be standard.

When...

Comm # NN4320
Ordered on 5-23-2017
Picked up on 10-19-2017
Original ETA for pickup End of August 2017

Notes:

All I have to say is Audi is fully to blame for the delays in production, the logistics handling, and most importantly the lack of communication to their customers and dealerships. Pointing a finger at the suppliers and everybody else is simply un-excusable. Then for a customer to lose out on various on-going incentives and trade-in value without taking accountability is downright unprofessional and crooked. Corporate points a finger at the dealership and the dealership points a finger back at corporate leaving us consumer nowhere to go. I currently have no recourse even though I have contacted both Audi and the dealership.

How Much / Add-On’s...

MSRP: $57450
Purchase: MSRP – 4%
Incentives: Customer Loyalty ($600)
Traded In: Audi Q5 SLine 2010

Audi Care - Yes
Tire & Wheel - Yes Extended Warranty - No

Notes:

PM me if interested to know how much I paid for something.

Accessories...

• Wheel locks (transferred from 2010 Audi Q5)
• Audi Trunk Liner
• Audi Q5 All Weather Matts (front and back)
• Audi Beam Rings
• Audi L-Shaped USB – lighting cable (x1)
• Your typical USB – lightning cable (x1)
• Audi Valve Stems
• Audi Carbon License Plate Holder
• Audi Privacy Trunk Cover
• Audi Front License Plate Fillers
• 3M Crystalline Ceramic Tint (40%)
• SunTek Clear Bra
• G-Techniq Ceramic Clear Coat
• Ross-Tech VAG-COM Hex-V2 Cable
• Key Fob Cover (x2)
• Meori Foldable Box (x2)
Sun Visors (Labeless)

For two toddlers:
• Prince Lionheart Back Seat Kick Mat - Black (x2)
• Graco Backless Booster Car Seat (x2)
• Eddie Bauer Seat Protector (x2)

Notes:

I recommend shopping online and don’t get any of this stuff through your dealer. What I did was shop various Audi Part Departments that gave me the lowest cost, went to the dealership’s parts department and simply asked to order what I wanted for the price I found. They honored it and it worked really well. I had everything before my car arrived (way ahead of time due to the delays). It typically takes about a week for everything. A few things you can get via Amazon which I did like the lightning cable so search Amazon to start. The VAG-Com cable I recommend getting to do some cool stuff with your car. Read on to see my customizations. The Meori Foldable boxes are really great and I got mine from the container store. I use it all the time when running to get take out or groceries or just to put my kids backpacks in them. The toddler stuff I got mainly from Buy Buy Baby and are your typical car seat stuff.

Similar to window tinting state laws some states require a front license plate holder. No matter what I recommend getting the front license plate holder! Then if your state does not require it or even if it does you will be better off to get for free that license plate holder to have. You can buy those license plate filler strips for the ridiculous upcharge cheaper and remove that license plate holder very easily. Then put in those filler strips (be careful, you will break them if you do it wrong and then try to remove them). I simply made my SA work and had him do it for me along with installing the beam rings. Most states don’t care about your front license plate nor the window tint level so long as it is within reason. The exception I have seen is in smaller towns when the police have nothing better to do.

I got my driver and passenger windows tinted at 40% with the 3M Crystalline Ceramic Tint for just over $200 and they did a really great job. I got the tinting mainly for looks and to cut the heat a bit due the light absorption with the black interior. I literally had this done the day after I picked up my vehicle and it took just about half a day. This was a Friday. On Monday, I drove a couple hundred miles to drop off the vehicle for a clear bra and ceramic clear coat application. I picked it up Wednesday morning. Total cost was around $3600. I had the entire front hood, front fenders, front bumper, headlights, front grille, mirrors, A-pillars, headliner above the front windshield, rear bumper lip, and behind the door handles all done with the 10 year SunTek Clear Bra. The detailer also coated the entire vehicle with a 7-year G-Techniq Ceramic Clear Coat including the outside rims, inside rims, and on the inlay for the center console. So this is the secret in how to eliminate the brake dust. I paid extra to have my tires unmounted and ceramic clear coat applied to the inside well of the rims. This included waxing as well. To avoid scratches on the high gloss inlay, I also had the clear coat applied to the inlay on the center console.

Features...

Ok...where do I even begin?! I would say the German engineering was very thoughtful here and you don’t realize it until you start using it. Let’s start with some non-obvious ones.

When there are two of you and you have your doors open, your passenger is already opening the back seat or you have the trunk open to get something or another. This is a typical scenario for most of us. Well, you don’t have to wait for the doors to be closed to lock your doors. Just touch the handle and lock them anytime you want and no longer must you wait! Very nice!

A feature I have yet to get used to still, but instead of putting the car in park you can just hit the Stop button and leave. I still have to remember this one, but its super nice to shut off your vehicle and just exit. I think the reason why this one can be hard to remember is because for me I have to remember to close my garage door prior to shutting off the vehicle.

The electromagnet parking brake will automatically enable itself when your vehicle is parked and on a hill. For me my driveway has a bit of an incline, when I park on the driveway the electromagnetic parking brake is automatically engaged but when I park in my garage it is not. It’s a small detail, but really nice in my opinion.

The automatic engine shut-off feature I think has folks left with mixed opinions. For myself, I am loving this feature personally. You simply control it with the pressure you apply to the brake. So, learn a new trick essentially. When you are in the middle of an intersection to turn, then apply the brake just enough to stop but do not fully depress it. It is really that simple. In this scenario, your engine will not shut off. When you are at a really long wait or somewhere that you won’t be moving anytime soon, then depress the brake all the way to have the engine shutoff and save the environment and yourself a bit of $$$$. Otherwise I left this feature alone and didn’t even bother messing with any of the VCDS settings around this.

The new command shifter is really innovative. Recently I noticed the car in front of me go into park. So, the driver moved through his gears from drive, to reverse, to park when we were in a traffic jam. I honestly believe this is the reason some engineer designed the command shifter to avoid exactly that scenario. If you wish to park, just hit a button and you are done. Anyways, it did not take me long to get used to the new shifter.

The 2.0-liter Turbo engine is deceptively very fast. I am literally blown away here with the engine and really hope the performance will not degrade in time.

The rear hatch height is adjustable. So, if you worry about the hatch when open hitting your garage door when you get home then have your SA adjust it upon pick-up. Simply open the hatch, adjust the height where you want, then press and hold the close button until you see the parking lights blink. That’s it!

The rear seats fold down like most, but perhaps you may not realize this. The center section will also fold down individually! There is a lever directly on the center section that allows it to be detached from the right-side seat back. Another hidden feature is the sunglass holder under where the headlight instrument cluster is located. It’s a decent size compared to my previous model.

The MMI and Virtual cockpit are essentially independent, but navigating each are similar. You will typically have a screen you are on to scroll up or down. Depending on the item you have selected you can either a. navigates to the right (if there is a + sign to the right) or b. navigates to the left (this will have a ‘hamburger’ menu to the left). Nearly everything has the left hamburger menu that allows you to get to other options. The menu to the right is essentially for more options. To go back to your previous menu simply press the back option. For the virtual cockpit, you will find these controls on the steering wheel on the left-hand side. For the MMI the controls are located where the pick touch pad is at. The numbers above this touch pad react to tactile touch and your presets that work for any band including Sirius XM. I recommend exploring but not while driving!

Audi Drive Select: Individual
  • Engine/trans. = Auto
  • Susp. control = Dynamic
  • Steering = Comfort
  • ACC = Auto

Exterior Lighting:
  • Automatic headlights Activation time = Late
  • Headlight assistant = ON
  • Entry/Exit lighting = ON
  • Daytime running lights = ON

Interior Lighting:
Individual: More Options menu (to the right)
  • Brightness: Max
  • Surface lighting color: Whatever mood you are in.
  • Line lighting color: Whatever mood you are in.

Central Locking:
  • Door unlocking = All
  • Long press to open windows = ON
  • Lock when driving (VCDS) = ON
  • Disable rear lid handle = OFF
  • Fold mirrors = ON
  • Tone when locking = ON
  • Open with convenience key = ON

Speed warning:
  • Traffic sign based = +10 mph
  • Manual warning = 90 mph

Parking aid:
  • Activate automatically = ON
  • Auto front/rear camera change = ON
  • Volume = Medium

Head-up display:
  • Display contents: Navi messages = Always
  • Traffic signs = ON
  • Driver assistance = ON

Adaptive Cruise Control:
  • Driving program = Standard Predictive control
  • Set speed limit = OFF
  • Adaptation to route ahead = ON

Distance Warning: 1.0s
Traffic Jam Assist: ON
Efficiency Assist: ON
Audi Pre Sense: Prewarning = Medium
Audi Side Assist: Max Brightness
Rain sensor: ON

Active Lane Assist:
  • Steering correction = Late
  • Vibration warning = OFF

Stuff I am a bit unclear on:

Perhaps it’s me, but I have not fully figured out the seat memory. I have mine set, but when I unlock and enter the car I would expect my driver seat to go to the programmed memory and it simply does not?

I have seen another thread on this, but the top down view seems to always revert to ‘Graphic’ mode versus remembering my last setting of ‘Camera’. This has been hit or miss, where sometimes it remembers the setting while other times it doesn’t.

I pretty much disabled Apple Car Play in preference to the built-in MMI. (Personal preference)

To get added features from your phone, not only does it need to be connected to a USB port, but you also need the MMI Connect app active and running. I sort of understand why, there is a ton of communication going on here and having a hard wire is more stable than depending on Bluetooth. Also, having the app run allows to bypass various security provisions that may require a constant acknowledgement or permission.

Why does the Key FOB have to be so bulky? It’s a ton bulkier than I would have expected. Technology has allowed us to shrink things or make thing much smaller than these huge key FOBs.

The rear hatch will only shut and lock (the padlock button) if you have the keys with you. I can sort of see why this would be the case for security reasons. However, if you are near the vehicle with the keys then should it matter?

The tires seem to have a dirty look to them and using tire dressing is not my favorite option. Anybody, have any suggestions?

I had tons of trouble programming my rolling code garage door remote control. For this my SA helped out immensely. Essentially there is a specific sequence and location by the rear view mirror where to direct the remote control signal. Once setup its setup though and works fairly well. You do have to hold down the button longer than I was used to.

---------

Well I hope my observations and what not have been thorough enough and if anybody has feedback/comments they are always welcomed. I know I didn't cover some things but please ask and I wil answer what I can. Overall the car is superb other than a few nits here and there.

Pictures Below:

-img_0032.jpg-img_0036.jpg-img_0037.jpg-img_0039.jpg-img_0040.jpg-img_0041.jpg-img_0042.jpg-img_0043.jpg-img_0044.jpg-img_0045.jpg-img_0046.jpg-img_0047.jpg-img_0048.jpg-img_0049.jpg-img_0050.jpg-img_0051.jpg-img_0052.jpg-img_0053.jpg-img_0054.jpg-img_0055.jpg-img_0056.jpg-img_0057.jpg-img_0058.jpg-img_0059.jpg

Last edited by cakasky; 11-30-2017 at 03:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cakasky:
g_boianov (02-07-2020), Kyrylenko Anton (02-18-2021)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was super excited to see your post cakasky! And like you, I'm absolutely in love with my '18 Q5 Prestige.

Here's to many years enjoying our vehicles!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the write-up and congrats on your car! Makes me REALLY look forward to delivery of my Prestige. I have a similar build as yours, but with the Rock Gray interior. Do you or anyone else have thoughts on that color? I've never actually seen it so taking a bit of a risk... I just had all the other colors before so thought I'd try somethign different.

A few things i'm curious about-
Are the double pane windows only in the front? Surprised to hear they make a big difference!
Did you tint the pano roof as well?
If we tint the front windshield with a UV film, do you know if that would that affect the HUD?
Interesting to hear that the brake pedal pressure will affect the behavior of Auto-Start-Stop... the predictability might make it more tolerable for me. I used to have a Macan S before this, and that car had a BRAKE hold feature (which was really cool) in addition to ***. I don't suppose this has it too?
Any thoughts about this B&O compared to your B8 Q5 or A5?
Does the audio quality or volume level change when connecting via USB or BT?

Thanks...
Old 11-20-2017, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Garrett Gyssler
Was super excited to see your post cakasky! And like you, I'm absolutely in love with my '18 Q5 Prestige.

Here's to many years enjoying our vehicles!
Here here! I had trouble with my post and the formatting so I had to piece meal it in.

Originally Posted by AudisticS5
Thanks for the write-up and congrats on your car! Makes me REALLY look forward to delivery of my Prestige. I have a similar build as yours, but with the Rock Gray interior. Do you or anyone else have thoughts on that color? I've never actually seen it so taking a bit of a risk... I just had all the other colors before so thought I'd try somethign different.

A few things i'm curious about-
Are the double pane windows only in the front? Surprised to hear they make a big difference!
Did you tint the pano roof as well?
If we tint the front windshield with a UV film, do you know if that would that affect the HUD?
Interesting to hear that the brake pedal pressure will affect the behavior of Auto-Start-Stop... the predictability might make it more tolerable for me. I used to have a Macan S before this, and that car had a BRAKE hold feature (which was really cool) in addition to ***. I don't suppose this has it too?
Any thoughts about this B&O compared to your B8 Q5 or A5?
Does the audio quality or volume level change when connecting via USB or BT?

Thanks...
Thank you! I have seen Rock Gray interior and do like it a lot. You won't be disappointed at all. I really really am loving the Nougat Brown. I am very surprised how awesome it is.

The double pane windows I believe are on all windows. The front windshield and rear I am unsure of though. Regardless the typical traffic noise literally just disappears.

No I did not tint the Pano. It's already tinted a bit. Also that would be a very tough one to tint and get right the first time. In regards to the front windshield, I doubt it would affect the HUD because its a projection onto the windshield. I purposely did not because of the HUD though (just in case). What you can do is ask your tint shop for a scrap piece, hold it up where the HUD is projected and see how it is. I think the projection will just be dimmer. Similar to using polarized glasses. Now a cool feature is where you increase the brightness of the HUD you can also rotate it left or right due to polarized sunglasses.

I am not familiar with the BRAKE hold feature, but the electromagnetic brake is easy and right there next to you like a button to toggle on/off. It automatically disengages itself after you drive off. When I am out I can test it a bit because there is a road with a steep hill near by. I can drive over there and see if it automatically gets engaged when just stopped. The brake pedal pressure affecting the behavior of the Auto Start/Stop has been working very consistently.

Ahhh, the B&O. Yeah my older one had a lot more fine grained options through the MMI. This one is simpler and much easier to configure and has just the right amount of options. I did make a few adjustments like the focus of the dynamic sound to be in the front and have a bit more base. Overall, the speakers are simply outstanding! Hands down the best audio system I have ever owned.

So I used the BT and USB a couple times and they both equally sounded really well where the B&O system filtered and properly cached the audio well enough to maintain the bitrate. I noticed a bit more lag in the controls by using BT, but that happens with nearly every system that uses BT Audio.

Great questions!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a comprehensive and glowing review! The Q5 I ordered is very similar to yours. Thank you!
Which Vag-Com device do you have/recommend?

Last edited by TYJ; 11-20-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TYJ
What a comprehensive and glowing review! The Q5 I ordered is very similar to yours. Thank you!
Which Vag-Com device do you have/recommend?
The Hex-COM V2 enthusiast version. The newer cable is required for these new MLBEvo computer systems.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cakasky
The Hex-COM V2 enthusiast version. The newer cable is required for these new MLBEvo computer systems.
Im pretty unfamiliar with VAG-com, etc on any car. Do you have a site or place where there is basic info? What is possible? How much does it cost? What does this do to warrenty? Any other issues? I am interesed but hesitant. If there are simple improvements and options to look at for my SQ5, I a certainly interested.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congratulations on your car! I have been waiting for your post and it was worth the wait, a great post with lots of details. I love my car too. The only negatives I have so far is the top view camera view randomly going away, and slight shudder when stopping and then going at times. Coming from a Lexus "Couch on wheels" as my son says, I feel the seats are comfortable enough for me. I did not do any film or coatings, will see how the paint holds up. I was told not to get the rear side airbags by the dealer if I were going to have children in the back (in my case would be my grandson), and I see you have car seats in the back. Do the airbags turn off automatically? Which cover did you get for your key fobs, I haven't found one I like. Thanks again for the great post and enjoy your car!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kanack49
Im pretty unfamiliar with VAG-com, etc on any car. Do you have a site or place where there is basic info? What is possible? How much does it cost? What does this do to warrenty? Any other issues? I am interesed but hesitant. If there are simple improvements and options to look at for my SQ5, I a certainly interested.
Very similar to OBDEleven your car is a computer on wheels. There is an interface to it on the drivers side down by the foot well on your left. Just feel for it and you will find it pretty easily. So what you are buying here is a very expensive cable that connects your car to a computer. Here is the one to get:

Ross-Tech: HEX-V2 Interface

The software and drivers are free with the cable and I have used VCDS since 2008 and have never had a warranty issue at all. There are a lot of things you can customize from the default behavior of what is programmed and set based on your region. For example, a US spec Audi will have different defaults compared to a European one or a Canadian one. This simply allows you to change your defaults and turn on things that might normally be off. So lets take a couple examples.

1. Open your sunroof with one push and you will find that it only opens 4/5ths of the way. To fully open the sunroof you then have to hold the switch to move your sunroof all the way open. Using the VAG-COM you can change that so it fully opens when you initially hit the switch. That is how I have mine now.

2. When you flick your turn signal, count the number of times your flasher blinks. You will find it to be 3. Using the VAG-COM you can change this to 4 or 5. Personally I think 4 is the right number so I changed mine to 4.

These are all just tiny details and the mere fact you can go in and make these changes just gives you as an Audi owner another +1 above other luxury vehicles. IMO

Originally Posted by ifeldman
Congratulations on your car! I have been waiting for your post and it was worth the wait, a great post with lots of details. I love my car too. The only negatives I have so far is the top view camera view randomly going away, and slight shudder when stopping and then going at times. Coming from a Lexus "Couch on wheels" as my son says, I feel the seats are comfortable enough for me. I did not do any film or coatings, will see how the paint holds up. I was told not to get the rear side airbags by the dealer if I were going to have children in the back (in my case would be my grandson), and I see you have car seats in the back. Do the airbags turn off automatically? Which cover did you get for your key fobs, I haven't found one I like. Thanks again for the great post and enjoy your car!
Yeah the rear air bags are not of any concern. They are there for safety purposes and with smaller kids the rear airbags seems to be automatically disabled (but I'm not 100% certain). I do see the light in the headliner telling me when the airbags are off or not, but I believe that is mainly for the passenger seat. The key fob cover choices are a bit limiting. No matter what you get it makes an already big fat bulky key just a bit bulkier. I do wish these were more compact. Here is the set I got:

Amazon Amazon

So I did film protection since my A5 back in '08. This has been a huge saver when it comes to dings and rock chips. This is the first time for a ceramic clear coat though and I am hopeful the shine factor will last longer and be much easier to clean. Time will tell on this one.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had he same key fob cover, the silicone picks up too much lint for my taste. I'm keeping my key uncovered because the current crop of options are ugly. I've tried a few, none of which I'd recommend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cakasky’s Audi Q5 2018