AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   Can I get a Q5 P+ Or Prestige without a sunroof? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/can-i-get-q5-p-prestige-without-sunroof-3065375/)

Hendoo 12-30-2023 10:28 AM

Can I get a Q5 P+ Or Prestige without a sunroof?

Greetings everyone.

I'm shopping for cars and the Q5 is very attractive.

I know many really enjoy the Panoramic Sunroof, but I would strongly prefer not to have one.

Does anybody know if it as possible to order a Q5 in the Premium+ or Prestige trims but WITHOUT the sunroof?

The online configuration does not allow it, so I suspect I'm out of luck. I asked at the local dealership but got a very vague response.

Thanks in advance!

toomanymc 12-30-2023 10:38 AM

If you are in the USA no it is not possible but if you are in Europe I believe you can get higher trims without the sunroof

Hendoo 12-30-2023 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by toomanymc (Post 25872564)
If you are in the USA no it is not possible but if you are in Europe I believe you can get higher trims without the sunroof

Ah — thank you.

I am in the USA so I'm out of luck.

ribeye 12-30-2023 01:45 PM

Back when I purchased my Q5, there was a sunroof delete option, but that was in 2018.

rhranac 12-31-2023 05:44 AM

When I ordered my 2020 Q5 P+ I opted for the sunroof delete, which was still available as a no-cost option at the time. I, too, am not a fan of sunroofs. That said, it’s unfortunate that the delete option is no longer available in the U.S.

383vett 12-31-2023 07:52 AM

When I ordered my 21SQ5 premium+ there was a sunroof delete option. Did you check the configurator?

irenesbob 12-31-2023 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hendoo (Post 25872601)
Ah — thank you.

I am in the USA so I'm out of luck.

One positive in getting the sunroof is the significant added resale value that comes with it. I didn't want a sunroof, but the cars on the lot all had them. The dealer told me that after 3 years, a P+ without sunroof usually sits on the lot for months and eventually is bought for $4K or $5K less than one with the sunroof. Something to think about.

rdA4WtQ5 12-31-2023 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by irenesbob (Post 25872794)
The dealer told me that after 3 years, a P+ without sunroof usually sits on the lot for months and eventually is bought for $4K or $5K less than one with the sunroof. Something to think about.

I thought about it, your dealer is BSing you and you repeated the BS here.

Pano sunroofs are now a known potential problematic entity and not just Audi’s either.
On an older Q5 out of warranty not having a pano roof is advantageous to owners, sellers and buyers.
Reading this or any Audi (and other manufacturers) forums there is plenty of very real catastrophic pain caused by pano roofs.
If you have never had a problem that is great but you too could have a serious problem at anytime.
Never mind the additional 220 lbs overhead that makes the car handle like you have a large adult male attached to your roof.

At the end of the B8.5 Q5 run the delete pano roof option went away also.
Believe it has a lot to do with being done making cars with that run and not being caught with many extra pano roofs laying around that will not work with the new model.

ribeye 12-31-2023 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5 (Post 25872812)

Pano sunroofs are now a known potential problematic entity and not just Audi’s either.
On an older Q5 out of warranty not having a pano roof is advantageous to owners, sellers and buyers.
Reading this or any Audi (and other manufacturers) forums there is plenty of very real catastrophic pain caused by pano roofs.
If you have never had a problem that is great but you too could have a serious problem at anytime.
Never mind the additional 220 lbs overhead that makes the car handle like you have a large adult male attached to your roof.

Believe it has a lot to do with being done making cars with that run and not being caught with many extra pano roofs laying around that will not work with the new model.

Well, that's another way to look at it!

irenesbob 12-31-2023 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5 (Post 25872812)

I believe it has to do with the economies of having a lot of stuff standard, rather than customizable by buyers. It is my sense that in the US probably 95% or more of buyers want the glass roof (pano or otherwise). So much of the stuff I don't want and never use that is on most brands these days is based on the same idea. Also, I did repeat the dealer's exaggerated claims, but I never said I believed them. I do know that there are premiums on used cars (color is a big one) and suspect that nearly all buyers of used Q5' want a sunroof (pano or otherwise). I have only opened mine 3 or 4 times to show others, but most folks love them.
What's your source of the claim the pano roof adds 220 lbs. overhead - I'd like to check it out.

bat0nas 12-31-2023 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by toomanymc (Post 25872564)

In EU you can have any combination of options as you wish.
And sunroof is an option (costing ~1.7k€) available for all trims. Not included in any trim as standard or mandatory.

BTW.. we didn't chose to have it either. It's a nice thing to have (driver doesn't see it, but for passengers in the back it creates an experience of a bigger car).

rdA4WtQ5 01-01-2024 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by irenesbob (Post 25872865)
I believe it has to do with the economies of having a lot of stuff standard, rather than customizable by buyers. It is my sense that in the US probably 95% or more of buyers want the glass roof (pano or otherwise). So much of the stuff I don't want and never use that is on most brands these days is based on the same idea. Also, I did repeat the dealer's exaggerated claims, but I never said I believed them. I do know that there are premiums on used cars (color is a big one) and suspect that nearly all buyers of used Q5' want a sunroof (pano or otherwise). I have only opened mine 3 or 4 times to show others, but most folks love them.
What's your source of the claim the pano roof adds 220 lbs. overhead - I'd like to check it out.

Many references but here is the first one google found:

https://www.topgearbox.com/cars/your...anoramic-roof/

With first hand experience selling my previous 2011 Q5 without a pano roof the reaction to not having it was quite positive.
The car sold for above book value in a few days with much activity. At that time book value was about $100 less due to no pano roof.

Because of a few key factory extended warranties on issues that car was prone to have helped the sale for sure.
BTW that car is still driving around with the original timing chain etc and burns about .25 quarts at the 5K oil change. Now at about 120K.

irenesbob 01-01-2024 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5 (Post 25872938)
Many references but here is the first one google found:

https://www.topgearbox.com/cars/your...anoramic-roof/

With first hand experience selling my previous 2011 Q5 without a pano roof the reaction to not having it was quite positive.
The car sold for above book value in a few days with much activity. At that time book value was about $100 less due to no pano roof.

Because of a few key factory extended warranties on issues that car was prone to have helped the sale for sure.
BTW that car is still driving around with the original timing chain etc and burns about .25 quarts at the 5K oil change. Now at about 120K.

Thanks, it's an interesting read. I don't disagree with any of it. As I said, I didn't want a pano roof to begin with, but I was leasing, wanted a car already on the lot so I could check it out before signing anything, etc. In 2018 I was looking at Q5's and (unless my memory is failing me) the roofs all had some sort of mesh interior covering that still let a lot of sunlight in to highlight my balding head, so I got an A4. However, when the lease on the A4 was up in 2021 the Q5's (my current one included) had a more traditional sliding, rigid interior cover. I like that much more.
I never believed the dealer that selling a Q5 without a sunroof would be a huge loss of money, but I think most buyers do like the things.
Again, thanks.

JayDee4711 01-03-2024 04:00 AM

Many European, particularly German cars make it to the US only in the highest, or highest few, engine options. And in the highest few feature option packages. I incidentally just tonight, out of interest, configured a car equivalent to my new-to-me Q5 PHEV Prestige, as closely as possible, on audi.de. The US list price of mine, as a virtually identical 2024 model, would be just over USD 76k. In Germany, the Base model (yes, they don't have Premium as the most "pedestrian" model!) starts at EUR 62,100. That does include 19% sales tax, unlike the prices the US configurator gives you.

However, the base model has less power and torque (probably chip-tuned) and virtually none of the creature comforts that come standard with even the most basic US configuration. Would you believe, they even charge extra for the cupholders! Both front, and then separately for the back. And don't you even think you get that power seat standard! And then again, an extra charge if you want to treat your front passenger to the same comfort! Long story short, my Prestige, with all the features I was able to map, would run well north of EUR 92k. Before tax, that is around EUR 77.5K, at today's exchange rate roughly USD 85k.

But yes, you have the "freedom" of ordering an otherwise highly optioned vehicle without a sunroof. Since it is rather common in Germany to order your car, rather than buying one off the lot, you don't even give away as many of your bargaining chips as you would in the US. But you still get a better price if you take a vehicle they have sitting there. In the US, special-ordering your sunroof-less, otherwise top-option level car seems like combining two ways of putting yourself in the money-losing position.

Says the guy who, after being badly burned by a 5-Series BMW wagon with a huge sunroof and all the usual, predictable water intrusion issues, still bought a Q5 with a scarily similar roof setup. I'll make sure to keep those drains free of debris. And It definitely helps that the Q5e doesn't have a spare wheel well with $3,500 worth of electronics modules at the lowest point. That said, I still need to investigate to what extent the hybrid battery would be affected by a sunroof drain leak...