Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

CarPlay disables virtual cockpit map

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
wonderful LOL....
this is why I use the MMI nav.. but it sounds like your problem is in fact different...
please keep us posted.
I'd take your scenario for sure! Is it possible to downgrade the MMI software? Could a dealer do that in theory? Maybe it would cause a host of other issues anyway.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scottn
I'd take your scenario for sure! Is it possible to downgrade the MMI software? Could a dealer do that in theory? Maybe it would cause a host of other issues anyway.
my software is current and it works fine. Why do you think is the old one that works vs the new one?
Old 10-01-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Partly because another poster suggested it above. So can you use your virtual cockpit map while you are using CarPlay at the same time?
Old 10-02-2018, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can not view my MMI VC in my 18 Q5 while apple play is on...it's one or the other...I get a compass in the VC when using apple car play
Old 10-02-2018, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Partly because another poster suggested it above. So can you use your virtual cockpit map while you are using CarPlay at the same time?
yes
Old 10-02-2018, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually I could as well until Apple did their update to include waze in car play...now with the update I cannot use MMI map in VC with car play
Old 10-02-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That’s interesting. Do you mean the iOS 12 update?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

That’s interesting. Do you mean the iOS 12 update?
yes
Old 10-02-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tested mine and it behaves very differently. VC remains unchanged no matter what unless I begin navigation on apple maps, google maps, or waze. In those cases, once navigation actually begins, then I get the compass. Otherwise, whether phone, music, text or any other function of Car play, VC continues as it normally does.
The only test I did not try, was having navigation in MMI active with an address, then trying to have car play navigate, so I don't know if compass will appear then, I'll try that next time I'm in the car.
I'll try to take a picture to show you with the wife's phone later but I'm 100% sure this is how it behaves... perhaps something is wrong with yours or perhaps different model or MY? Mine is a 2018 Sq5 premium plus.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
I just tested mine and it behaves very differently. VC remains unchanged no matter what unless I begin navigation on apple maps, google maps, or waze. In those cases, once navigation actually begins, then I get the compass. Otherwise, whether phone, music, text or any other function of Car play, VC continues as it normally does.
The only test I did not try, was having navigation in MMI active with an address, then trying to have car play navigate, so I don't know if compass will appear then, I'll try that next time I'm in the car.
I'll try to take a picture to show you with the wife's phone later but I'm 100% sure this is how it behaves... perhaps something is wrong with yours or perhaps different model or MY? Mine is a 2018 Sq5 premium plus.
I think this is normal behavior. Carplay (and Android Auto) can't display maps in the VC itself. I've noticed that if I open up active navigation in Google Maps or Waze, the VC goes to a compass. I recall that there was a workaround to get MMI nav to work in the VC, while ALSO using active Google Maps nav on the infotainment display (in Android Auto -- not sure if this applies to Carplay). It had something to do with the order in which you start up the MMI nav and Google Maps. I'd have to play with it if you want details -- I only run Google Maps/Waze on my phone, which is sitting in a phone mount, so I haven't had the VC compass issue in a while.

Quick Reply: CarPlay disables virtual cockpit map