Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

CarPlay disables virtual cockpit map

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
I just tested mine and it behaves very differently. VC remains unchanged no matter what unless I begin navigation on apple maps, google maps, or waze. In those cases, once navigation actually begins, then I get the compass. Otherwise, whether phone, music, text or any other function of Car play, VC continues as it normally does.
The only test I did not try, was having navigation in MMI active with an address, then trying to have car play navigate, so I don't know if compass will appear then, I'll try that next time I'm in the car.
I'll try to take a picture to show you with the wife's phone later but I'm 100% sure this is how it behaves... perhaps something is wrong with yours or perhaps different model or MY? Mine is a 2018 Sq5 premium plus.
Yes, this is how my 2018 SQ5 behaves. Anecdotally, this seems to be how most 2018 Q5/SQ5 behave. The compass in the VC only appears if you are actively running navigation on CarPlay. Otherwise, the VC maps will continue to display, even if you have Waze running in the background (but not actively navigating) on the MMI screen.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
Yes, this is how my 2018 SQ5 behaves. Anecdotally, this seems to be how most 2018 Q5/SQ5 behave. The compass in the VC only appears if you are actively running navigation on CarPlay. Otherwise, the VC maps will continue to display, even if you have Waze running in the background (but not actively navigating) on the MMI screen.
Thats how mine works AFTER the ios12 update not before
Old 10-02-2018, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gqllc007
Thats how mine works AFTER the ios12 update not before
This is helpful — it never occurred to me that something changed with iOS 12. I didn't get the newer car until after the update so I don't have a comparison. I wish CarPlay had more settings/options on the phone side for these sorts of things. It seems to be working again today if I quit the third party nav apps on my phone before connecting the phone to the car.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay a little update after reading everyones input here and some further research in the Q7 forum etc. For my car, this seems to be an intermittent issue and it is definitely related to the new third party map apps allowed in CarPlay in iOS 12. The built-in Maps app does not cause the compass, only Waze or Google Maps. And occasionally just randomly even without either of those apps open (even not running in the background). Its overall somewhat random it seems.

I did discover today though, on a suggestion from the Q7 forum, that if I am seeing the giant compass in the VC that I can activate MMI navigation and it will restore the MMI map in the VC. I can then just cancel the navigation and the map remains restoring things to the way I wanted them to be. This is a pretty good work around for me and allows the MMI map in the VC no matter what is going on with CarPlay, third party nav active or not.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting... I just tested again this time using car play phone and music, both while having MMI nav on and navigating an address both screens and nothing changed on either, while phone call and music carried on.
I did NOT try running a CP nav app while MMI is navigating although I don't see why that would ever be needed... but I'm curious what it would do then....
I will say it's fairly cool using the MMI nav, with google aerial, on both screens, it lends a lot of information on dual screens lol..... I hate that compass that renders VC useless while using waze, apple, or goolge maps through car play lol...
The biggest problem remains entering an address on MMI is 1000 times more of a PITA than using the apps...
Old 10-04-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

..... I hate that compass that renders VC useless while using waze, apple, or goolge maps through car play lol...
The biggest problem remains entering an address on MMI is 1000 times more of a PITA than using the apps...
I agree and it makes no sense. (One can understand why both systems can't have actual navigation active, but there can't be a reason for disabling the VC Map display when Navigating with one of the Carplay or Android Auto nav apps.
I've started using voice commands to enter the destination address. It works very well (99.9 hit rate), IF you use Google Search to search for the Destination (as opposed to the MMI search. In case you don't know how to do that: Press Voice Command button on steering wheel and say "Online Destination" ("Google Search" or "Online Search might also work, not sure.) MMI will respond with something like "OK, please wait/Processing your request". Next she'll ask "which destination do you want" (or something to that effect). As we all know, Google understands search commands like "the KFC in Ford Street".
Try it if you have not done so - it works surprisingly well. At least 10 times better than entering the letters one by one in the MMI.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BFN949
I agree and it makes no sense. (One can understand why both systems can't have actual navigation active, but there can't be a reason for disabling the VC Map display when Navigating with one of the Carplay or Android Auto nav apps.
I've started using voice commands to enter the destination address. It works very well (99.9 hit rate), IF you use Google Search to search for the Destination (as opposed to the MMI search. In case you don't know how to do that: Press Voice Command button on steering wheel and say "Online Destination" ("Google Search" or "Online Search might also work, not sure.) MMI will respond with something like "OK, please wait/Processing your request". Next she'll ask "which destination do you want" (or something to that effect). As we all know, Google understands search commands like "the KFC in Ford Street".
Try it if you have not done so - it works surprisingly well. At least 10 times better than entering the letters one by one in the MMI.
Agreed, I used it twice today, once flawless, the 2nd time it just didn't work right... But I still agree entering one number at a time on that dial is useless....
this is also why that center screen should just be touch screen. My 40k dodge uconnect entered info very easily on touch screen and worked perfectly, just saying $60k car should also have touch... Yes I know, it's coming like in the a6 etc. but that doesn't help us LOL
Old 10-04-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, I used it twice today, once flawless, the 2nd time it just didn't work right... But I still agree entering one number at a time on that dial is useless....
this is also why that center screen should just be touch screen. My 40k dodge uconnect entered info very easily on touch screen and worked perfectly, just saying $60k car should also have touch... Yes I know, it's coming like in the a6 etc. but that doesn't help us LOL
Entering on the touchpad is a bit painful, I agree, but I actually do prefer the scroll wheel to a touch screen. Had a touch screen in my old car, and I thought it was a little unsafe, as I really did need to look at the screen in order to enter something. They should offer both -- touchscreen to use when parked/stationary, and wheel to do any other tactile changes if moving. And most importantly, voice commands should work as flawlessly as possible!

As for why you'd want to run both MMI nav and a phone nav at the same time.... I use the built in MMI nav for the turn directions, and I like to check the route on Google to make sure I'm selecting the fastest/best route. Lots in traffic in my area And, then, once I've chosen the route, I usually leave Waze running (on my phone only) because Waze is better with road conditions. Pothole warnings, police/speed traps, roadside issues, etc. The Waze audio alerts are sometimes helpful.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bailyc
Entering on the touchpad is a bit painful, I agree, but I actually do prefer the scroll wheel to a touch screen. Had a touch screen in my old car, and I thought it was a little unsafe, as I really did need to look at the screen in order to enter something. They should offer both -- touchscreen to use when parked/stationary, and wheel to do any other tactile changes if moving. And most importantly, voice commands should work as flawlessly as possible!

As for why you'd want to run both MMI nav and a phone nav at the same time.... I use the built in MMI nav for the turn directions, and I like to check the route on Google to make sure I'm selecting the fastest/best route. Lots in traffic in my area And, then, once I've chosen the route, I usually leave Waze running (on my phone only) because Waze is better with road conditions. Pothole warnings, police/speed traps, roadside issues, etc. The Waze audio alerts are sometimes helpful.
I agree with most of your comments.... although I still think touchscreen is less dangerous than scrolling on that wheel one letter at a time, in any case, neither should be done while moving lol....
I haven't tried to run google or waze in carplay while MMI is navigating, does it work? do both actually show up navigating at the same time, if so, which voice takes priority ?
I will try this tomorrow for sure and I agree the MMI in VC turn by turn instructions and illustrations are 10 times better than a worthless compass lol....
Old 10-04-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with most of your comments.... although I still think touchscreen is less dangerous than scrolling on that wheel one letter at a time, in any case, neither should be done while moving lol....
I haven't tried to run google or waze in carplay while MMI is navigating, does it work? do both actually show up navigating at the same time, if so, which voice takes priority ?
I will try this tomorrow for sure and I agree the MMI in VC turn by turn instructions and illustrations are 10 times better than a worthless compass lol....
Oh yeah, using the wheel one letter at a time... forget it! That's the absolute worst. I'd rather blind scrawl some letters on the touchpad.
Sorry, I meant, I run Waze in Android Auto, and specifically, I leave it running directly on the phone. (Damn it, I know I'm in a Carplay thread -- oops! Not relevant to you guys, I'm sorry about that.) As for which takes priority, usually they don't overlap in terms of timing. If they do, they kind of speak over one another. To avoid that, I usually run Waze in Alert mode only, and I prioritize the stuff like the road hazard alerts and not active navigation directions. So that way, overlap rarely happens.

But since this is a Carplay thread, I'll play with hooking up my iPhone this weekend and see. I suspect you can't do both Waze/Google and the MMI nav the same time without running into the compass. Android Auto finally allows you to "swipe up" the screen to access/view certain things, so I set Waze up before I start driving and leave it running. Phone screen is usually off because I only need the sound alerts. Because of how Carplay works, you can't run a separate app on the phone itself while Carplay is connected. Carplay essentially mirrors what's happening on your phone. So, I think with an iPhone, the scenario of Waze on the phone, Carplay doing something else, and MMI nav also running in the background doesn't seem possible.

Quick Reply: CarPlay disables virtual cockpit map