Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Some thoughts: SQ5 versus Mercedes glc43?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Some thoughts: SQ5 versus Mercedes glc43?

Hello all. Looking to buy one of the above, considered the Macon but it just can't compete on the technology side. Test drove the sq5 prestige today and thought it was very nice, great interior, fast, comfortable. Thought the steering was on the light side even in dynamic mode. Also concerned about it being first year and being produced in a new factory in Mexico. I was surprised how comfortable the ride was even with the 21 inch rims, that was a pleasant surprise. Hope to drive glc43 next week. Looking for any thoughts on those who have compared the two vehicles and any comments, likes, dislikes, problems from sq5 owners. Thanks. Regards. Ned.

Last edited by Ngerstman; 10-07-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Hello all. Looking to buy one of the above, considered the Macon but it just can't compete on the technology side. Test drove the sq5 prestige today and thought it was very nice, great interior, fast, comfortable. Thought the steering was on the light side even in dynamic mode. Also concerned about it being first year and being produced in a new factory in Mexico. I was surprised how comfortable the ride was even with the 21 inch rims, that was a pleasant surprise. Hope to drive glc43 next week. Looking for any thoughts on those who have compared the two vehicles and any comments, likes, dislikes, problems from sq5 owners. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
A new Porsche Macan S or Macan Turbo has all the bling that the new SQ5 has....for $20-$30K more money. Thus, it becomes a cost vs. performance issue. If I was ready to spend $90K, I would have bought the Macan Turbo hands down over the SQ5.

I've owned South African and German manufactured BMWs and Mexican and German manufactured VWs. I have little concern over quality manufacturing in Mexico. The fit and finish of our brand new SQ5 is great. One or two very minor complaints that I won't address until the one year service call.

Lastly, we drove the GLC43 and simply did not like any aspect of it EXCEPT for the AMG tuned motor. As always with most MB cars, there is a compromise when you are in the sub-$100K range. I found the interior trim cheap looking, plastic and not attractive. The complete opposite of the Audi.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
A new Porsche Macan S or Macan Turbo has all the bling that the new SQ5 has....for $20-$30K more money. Thus, it becomes a cost vs. performance issue. If I was ready to spend $90K, I would have bought the Macan Turbo hands down over the SQ5.

I've owned South African and German manufactured BMWs and Mexican and German manufactured VWs. I have little concern over quality manufacturing in Mexico. The fit and finish of our brand new SQ5 is great. One or two very minor complaints that I won't address until the one year service call.

Lastly, we drove the GLC43 and simply did not like any aspect of it EXCEPT for the AMG tuned motor. As always with most MB cars, there is a compromise when you are in the sub-$100K range. I found the interior trim cheap looking, plastic and not attractive. The complete opposite of the Audi.
I second those thoughts on th GLC45 AMG. It's not a true AMG, plus the interior isn't what I would consider worth of it's pricetag. I think it's better to compare a BMW X3 M40i to the SQ5.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Macon doesn't offer pre-brake technology and I don't think the interior is quite as clean, it has the sea of button like the older Panamara, smaller nav scream as well, older nav technology. Blind side warning is an option not found on many Macons on the lot, that's insane to me, it should be a standard safety feature on all cars. How do you find the steering feel? Thanks. Ned.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Macon doesn't offer pre-brake technology and I don't think the interior is quite as clean, it has the sea of button like the older Panamara, smaller nav scream as well, older nav technology. Blind side warning is an option not found on many Macons on the lot, that's insane to me, it should be a standard safety feature on all cars. How do you find the steering feel? Thanks. Ned.
Sure it does. Porsche calls it 'Porsche Active Safe' (PAS). Add that to Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist (LKA), and Lane Change Assist, and you've got the same safety features of the Q5/SQ5.

I agree with you regarding the current first generation Macan interior and usually one-generation behind Porsche Nav system. But I didn't buy my 911 for it's old Nav :-) Porsche will refresh in two years (the 911 next year) to a similar interior to the new Cayenne and Panamera. I do give the nod to Audi on a much sharper interior, but it's only because the Audi is all new for 2018.

Electronic Steering sucks. In all cars. I miss my Porsche hydraulic system in the 911 997.2. But, life goes on, and we deal with compromises, better gas mileage, and reliability. The Audi steering is VERY soft, the Porsche Macan's is quite a bit better, but still no comparison to hydraulic steering Porsches. My wife loves the new SQ5. She doesn't give one hoot about steering feel.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Test drove the GLC43 and Macan prior to purchasing the SQ5. In short:

GLC43 was definitely quicker and had a stout motor. Exhaust was also more alive. The exterior just wan't for me though. Too much AMG-lite elements that would bother me and cause me to have remorse for not getting the "real" AMG GLC63. For some reason I don't get that feeling with Audi S cars and their respective RS trims.

Macan is a great car if all you are concerned about is agility and handling. Every other aspect of it (interior, tech, comfort) is either worse or the same as the SQ5. Is it worth the extra $18-20k similarly equipped? Only you can answer that.

The only other car I would have seriously considered would have been the X3 M but BMW isn't going to release that until 2019. Maybe in 3 years I'll be back in the market to upgrade.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Btw, it's a MACAN.

And from a tech standpoint, it's got nearly everything a the SQ5 does. As for performance, a Macan S, GTS or Turbo will beat the SQ5, hands down. You pay the Porsche tax for the pleasure, as folks always have who have owned pcars. It's just an expensive vehicle to own, from buying it to service, but what you get from Porsche is quality and customer service that's pretty damned impressive.

The new GLC 63 should really be the model we're talking about. It's a monster! I can't wait to test drive it.

2018 Mercedes-AMG GLC63: Here It Is

Last edited by benjaminnicholas; 10-08-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas

The new GLC 63 should really be the model we're talking about. It's a monster! I can't wait to test drive it.

2018 Mercedes-AMG GLC63: Here It Is
I think comparing the GLC 63 to the SQ5 is unrealistic. A 4.0L Twin Turbo? That thing is absolutely insane and isn't even close to the same price point as the Audi. Maybe if Audi brings out an RSQ5, sure, but similar to the Macan Turbo, MB are targeting a different crowd with the GLC 63 than the SQ5.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think comparing the GLC 63 to the SQ5 is unrealistic. A 4.0L Twin Turbo? That thing is absolutely insane and isn't even close to the same price point as the Audi. Maybe if Audi brings out an RSQ5, sure, but similar to the Macan Turbo, MB are targeting a different crowd with the GLC 63 than the SQ5.
Correct you are, but it was less of a comparison for me and more just drooling over the hp
Old 10-09-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas
Correct you are, but it was less of a comparison for me and more just drooling over the hp
Between the two, i'd buy the Cayenne Turbo. Amazing HP, and bullet proof Porsche reliability.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts: SQ5 versus Mercedes glc43?