Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Chrome Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Removal

Hey gang, I am pretty set on wrapping the chrome on my new mythos black Audi. The car has just a bit too much chrome for me, and in my opinion, makes it appear a little feminine. With that being said, I do not want to turn my car into a bat mobile. Has anyone removed the chrome and wrapped it in a color BESIDES black? I'm thinking about wrapping the chrome in something similar to daytona pearl grey (I'd probably also powder coat the wheels the same color of the trim), but I just have no reference point for what that would look like.

Appreciate the help in advance.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Have to get back to you on this one. It's too cold to do this now so I'm waiting for the spring (the REAL spring) to do mine but I planned on a dry-apply transparent gloss black color instead of a solid. I think it'll keep some of that pop you get with chrome but still look similar to the black optics overall. I doubt I'll try to remove the window trim to do it out of fear of breaking, bending or creasing the trim. It's a difficult job and if you're going that far you'd might as well just invest in the real black optics trim.