Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

considering an alternative to xm radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering an alternative to xm radio

greetings....im considering breaking away from xm radio. no problem with music and cost $35. every 6 months for their select package.
but customer service and billing needs to be done twice a year, and im getting a bit tired of having to dance with them.

and so i need to find out whats out there that would work best for me. i have an iphone 5 old school but works well for me.
i have no musical library nor store any music. i prefer random play thrown at me from a few musical genres.

given a choice i would prefer not to be tethered by a cable. but if i have to i will.
the cost and method of billing is of some concern when making a choice.
i prefer not to exceed the $70. a year im now paying ,unless the service and music would justify the added cost.

il see what names come up most and then look into them for more details . thank you

Old 06-04-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Just stream it. Plenty of options out there to do it.

Pandora - Free with ads and limited music skips. Pick an artist you like and it will build a playlist for you. $4.99/mo for Pandora Plus with unlimited skips.
Spotify - Free with ads and limited music skips. Similar to Pandora, builds playlists for you, but typically includes more music. $9.99/mo for Spotify Premium.
Amazon Music - Free with Amazon Prime. Builds playlists for you. $9.99/mo for Amazon Music Unlimited without Prime.
Youtube - Free but phone needs to be "screen-on" while streaming. You'll also have to manually build playlists.

Since all of them have a free option just download a couple and see what you like. I use all of them and jump between them when one gets too repetitive. All you have to do is make sure your phone is synced to the MMI and just launch the app on your phone to stream via Bluetooth.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:24 AM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spotify premium blows away XM and Pandora.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to all who took the time to chime