AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   Dealer or local detailer for XPEL film installation (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/dealer-local-detailer-xpel-film-installation-2975666/)

jadziedzic 07-11-2019 05:13 AM

Dealer or local detailer for XPEL film installation

My new SQ5 arrived in port this week (Davisville, RI) and should be arriving at my local dealer soon - WOO HOO! What's your opinion regarding having the dealer or a local detailer apply XPEL paint protection film? Any warranty issues with the latter?

FWIW, I did observe someone at the dealership doing film installation when I stopped by for an initial sales visit, so I'd guess they've been trained and know what they're doing. The detailer (Northeast Auto Salon) appears to have a good reputation based on posts on FarceBook and such.

(The detailer will do any necessary paint correction before installing the film, not sure about the dealer.)

Parallax 07-11-2019 07:14 AM

I assume the dealer will charge out the wazoo vs. a local company. When I had my tint done, the local guy had a lifetime warranty on it and I was happy with his work.

Rob_Quads 07-11-2019 07:31 AM

I would always use a detailer. A car detailer will never put the time and car in as much as a detailer does. For a detailer its their main line of business so its critical to them. For the dealer its just a hassle on the side that they won't make much from. 9/10 they will just be contracting out the job anyway as so few people want their car detailed / filmed that training someone is not cost effective.

Gfunk720 07-11-2019 08:51 AM

In most cases the dealer is having a 3rd party performing the installation anyway. Most farm it out to local detailers.

That said, they are probably marking up the cost more than you would pay a detailer directly.

aclass 07-11-2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gfunk720 (Post 25341244)
In most cases the dealer is having a 3rd party performing the installation anyway. Most farm it out to local detailers.

That said, they are probably marking up the cost more than you would pay a detailer directly.

^^This^^
I would highly recommend a shop that specializes in the xpel installation. A good shop will even roll the edges for a cleaner and more robust job.

superswiss 07-11-2019 04:46 PM

If you go to the Xpel website you can search for certified and trained installers in your area. I would start there. I found that the BMW Collision Center is a certified and factory trained Xpel installer in my area. My RS5 got damaged at my dealership during one of the recent service visits. They damaged the film on one of the fenders and it actually punched through to the paint slightly. They are outsourcing collision repairs to the BMW Collision Center and they did an excellent job. My car is there currently again to replace the film on my rear bumper as I'm preparing to sell the car. Just before I went to Europe to pick up my C63S, this lady drove into my rear bumper in a parking lot and damaged the film. It also went through the film at one point, but last I heard it looks like it's only the clear coat, so their detailer is working on it before they put the film on. Car is supposed to be ready tomorrow. I'm considering them to wrap my C63 once it gets here, but there is also another shop that does a different type of film, but are pretty much the best clear bra shop in the entire area here and they charge accordingly. Still have time to decide.

AMDG75 07-11-2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by aclass (Post 25341423)
^^This^^
I would highly recommend a shop that specializes in the xpel installation. A good shop will even roll the edges for a cleaner and more robust job.

Agree. While some dealers may farm this out to a good installer, you will pay the dealer above and beyond what that installer will charge. Check the Xpel website and ask to see or be referred to clients of the installers in your area. Would definitely have edges rolled. The Xpel person in our area is in demand from Cleveland - Pittsburgh - Columbus as he does a great job. You need to find someone similar in your neck of the woods.

Can't say enough about Xpel.... 5 years and it continues to serve its purpose, without any change in appearance or yellowing.

Have posted about how it has saved us two repaint jobs:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aut...-time-2975239/

Chawski 07-11-2019 05:28 PM

I recommend a detailer to do it, but just remember, it will be much cheaper the sooner you do it. Even a few weeks of driving before getting it done is enough for small rock chips that need to be worked on before the film goes on.
Ideally have the car delivered and go straight to the installer

Dustin Fennell 07-11-2019 05:37 PM

Definitely have a detailer do it. Even new cars can have paint swirls and you'll want those buffed out before being locked in under your film. A detailer will take the time to do this.

KevinGary 07-12-2019 01:51 AM

I would go to the Xpel website and use a certified and trained installer in your area.