Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Dealer or local detailer for XPEL film installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Suntek makes a better film and the warranty is phenomenal. I had them take the clear off and put on the satin film - results TBD. I’ll snap some pics when I get it back
Old 07-13-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedMoreHP
I think Suntek makes a better film and the warranty is phenomenal. I had them take the clear off and put on the satin film - results TBD. I’ll snap some pics when I get it back
In 5 years, the Xpel on my 2014 has held up great, whereas the Suntek on my wife's 2018 is slightly yellowed -- in fairness, her car is white, but I can't detect any color change on mine (did the gas cap cover, not the quarter panel and it is impossible to see a difference. Since both are good films, the skill set of the installer is more important....
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AMDG75
In 5 years, the Xpel on my 2014 has held up great, whereas the Suntek on my wife's 2018 is slightly yellowed -- in fairness, her car is white, but I can't detect any color change on mine (did the gas cap cover, not the quarter panel and it is impossible to see a difference. Since both are good films, the skill set of the installer is more important....
The warranty should cover the yellowed film. I had xpel and it lost it’s sheen after a few years so I went Suntek and am a happy camper
Old 07-15-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XPEL

Originally Posted by jadziedzic
My new SQ5 arrived in port this week (Davisville, RI) and should be arriving at my local dealer soon - WOO HOO! What's your opinion regarding having the dealer or a local detailer apply XPEL paint protection film? Any warranty issues with the latter?

FWIW, I did observe someone at the dealership doing film installation when I stopped by for an initial sales visit, so I'd guess they've been trained and know what they're doing. The detailer (Northeast Auto Salon) appears to have a good reputation based on posts on FarceBook and such.

(The detailer will do any necessary paint correction before installing the film, not sure about the dealer.)
Congratulations on the new SQ5! You're on the right tracking wanting to get XPEL installed. The best answer for your question of Dealer vs Local Installer is to ask to see examples of the work done by the installer for the dealership. You'll want to make sure that the installer removes emblems when installing, wraps edges, and takes all the time needed for a quality installation. Warranty issues would be dealt with the same at a dealership vs local installer. XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS and STEALTH are warrantied for 10 Years from Yellowing, Staining, Hazing, Delaminating, Peeling, Lifting, Bubbling, and more. Be sure that the dealer is using XPEL and just some other brand as not all films are created equal.

Originally Posted by NeedMoreHP
The warranty should cover the yellowed film. I had xpel and it lost it’s sheen after a few years so I went Suntek and am a happy camper
We're sorry to hear about the loss of sheen, we would've been more than happy to take a look at it and see what we could do to make it right.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by XPEL
We're sorry to hear about the loss of sheen, we would've been more than happy to take a look at it and see what we could do to make it right.
My old car is long gone or else I’d take you up on that. Next car, I’ll potentially give it a try again.
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (07-16-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Also consider STEK its an excellent PPF

Dealer will likely sub the work out. I would go to a private shop and stop in to see a car they are working on.

Things to to watch out for are use of exacto knifes on the paint. Low skilled installers simply cut the PPF right on the paint and don’t fold the film under each panel. This leaves rough film edges and knife marks in the paint. I once saw PPF removed after 5 years and the paint came off with the film because the installer cut down to the metal. To be clear ever installer uses knifes so you want a surgeons hands and someone who knows where and how to make the cuts...and not on the panel itself.

Last edited by MkVI GTI; 07-20-2019 at 09:56 PM.