AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   Do you use the SIM card slot? What for? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/do-you-use-sim-card-slot-what-2970500/)

jschille 04-12-2019 10:36 AM

Do you use the SIM card slot? What for?

Hey gang, title pretty much sums it up. Anything I'm missing out on by completely letting all the gadgets in the glove box go to waste?

Thanks!

ribeye 04-12-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by jschille (Post 25302613)
Hey gang, title pretty much sums it up. Anything I'm missing out on by completely letting all the gadgets in the glove box go to waste?

Thanks!

I only use the sim card slot to upgrade my maps.
I was surprised to see a CD slot in there about a month after I got the car.

jschille 04-12-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ribeye (Post 25302658)
I only use the sim card slot to upgrade my maps.
I was surprised to see a CD slot in there about a month after I got the car.

I saw that thread about updating maps... somewhat off topic, but will my maps be auto updated if my car is under the audi connect plan?

ribeye 04-12-2019 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by jschille (Post 25302663)
I saw that thread about updating maps... somewhat off topic, but will my maps be auto updated if my car is under the audi connect plan?

I don't think it will do it automatically, but you can tell it to do it in the MMI. Also, from what I understand, you can upload different regions, but I not sure if you can upload the entire map set over the air. The sim card is the best way to do it (In my humble opinion)

dassq5 04-12-2019 03:00 PM

all of my music!

i use both slots for music. don't listen to radio - am, fm or satellite, nor bluetooth from my phone.

turbophreak 04-12-2019 03:51 PM

OP is talking about the SIM slot, not the SD card slots.

As far as I know the B9 uses an eSIM which is embedded in the MMI. This is what connects the car to Audi Connect. So I'm pretty sure the SIM slot is useless unless Audi one day allows you select a different cellular carrier.

Martigary 04-12-2019 03:54 PM

SIM card slot or SD card slot ?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...88e7387093.jpg
I use the SIM for a mobile SIM card - that gives me Audi Connect access.
The SD card slots are handy for quick and easy music play lists to sit in.

blchandl2 04-12-2019 04:03 PM

+1 for using them for music. I can have hours of commercial free music I like FREE!

dassq5 04-12-2019 04:17 PM

oops

Originally Posted by turbophreak (Post 25302760)
OP is talking about the SIM slot, not the SD card slots.

As far as I know the B9 uses an eSIM which is embedded in the MMI. This is what connects the car to Audi Connect. So I'm pretty sure the SIM slot is useless unless Audi one day allows you select a different cellular carrier.

to quote Roseanne Roseannadanna -- "nevermind"

jschille 04-15-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Martigary (Post 25302761)
SIM card slot or SD card slot ?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...88e7387093.jpg
I use the SIM for a mobile SIM card - that gives me Audi Connect access.
The SD card slots are handy for quick and easy music play lists to sit in.

Maybe this is a ridiculous question. But does the car not automatically connect to Audi Connect via LTE? Are there additional features that can be used through the SIM?

turbophreak 04-15-2019 01:20 PM

Yeah so how I understand it is there is an eSIM and a SIM slot, like the one in the picture above. An eSIM is a hardwired, programmable SIM chip embedded in the MMI. This is the SIM that the B9 defaults to for a cellular connection. Because it embedded the only current way for the eSIM to be programmed is through Audi. This is likely how they offer the Audi Connect trial services for new customers without providing a physical SIM and then requiring the user to setup APNs and whatnot.

The SIM slot is probably there if and when Audi were to allow additional carriers to provide the services. Right now the wireless carrier is locked to AT&T in the US and as far as I know there is no way to use your own SIM, even with the SIM slot populated.

edwyun 04-15-2019 02:08 PM

Can you use a freedompop SIM on our models?

turbophreak 04-15-2019 02:51 PM

Unfortunately not. Audi restricts the slot as far as I know. Not saying it's impossible but I don't think anyone's cracked that code yet at least from everything I've read.

agarcnyc 04-15-2019 04:50 PM

Their profile shows them being in Sydney. Some markets require the use of the SIM slot for Audi Connect. Not every mobile provider supports eSIMs.

turbophreak 04-15-2019 06:24 PM

You sure? Both posters I replied to had US profiles. Our friend Martigary posted the picture, I believe he is from Australia. Anyway, that's probably why there is an external SIM slot, for ROW applications or smaller US carriers who don't support eSIM. In the US all major carriers support eSIM except Sprint.

objectivist 04-15-2019 06:49 PM

I use the SIM slot (in Australia). Any SIM with a data plan will provide the car with a permanent 4G/LTE connection.

Martigary 04-15-2019 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by turbophreak (Post 25303957)
there is an external SIM slot, for ROW applications.

You have it right there, for ROW requirements. It appears that the US market is very restrictive in what Audi can offer. In the real world we have the option to use an external SIM card to provide permanent mobile access to the vehicle or the ability to link your mobile phone. It all comes down to personal choice to who you want your mobile service to be provided from. Only big problem with Audi Connect is it is currently limited to Google maps and search.

edwyun 04-16-2019 10:23 AM

I have seen posts by owners in the USA in other forums where they use a SIM card after their Audi Connect expires. Just don't know whether that works with the 2019 models.

turbophreak 04-16-2019 04:59 PM

Yeah you could do this on the B8, not a very intuitive procedure but it could be done with a little research on the forums. B9 is locked down tighter. Someone will figure it out though.

Audi really wants to sell Audi Connect through their partnership with AT&T but their sales numbers are proving people aren't interested. This was why they split off certain items like door lock/unlock into Audi Connect CARE, which is now free (at least in the US). Especially since 2018 models are losing Google Maps next year there just isn't a whole lot of benefit for the price of Audi Connect PRIME. My guess is they'll unlock everything at some point so we can use our own SIM.