Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Door unlock/lock w/ Advanced Key Finicky

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still not liking the way Audi designed the convenience door unlock, I know you have to place your hand on the inside of the handle to unlock the car but I find myself locking the door instead of unlocking it more times then I'd like to admit. I'm thinking about looking into disabling it completely, if that is even possible. The problem is when both my hands are full and I try to open the door I typically end up touching the outside of the handle as well as the inside which then locks the car. Then, they programmed a delay before you can even try it again. Does anyone even know how long the delay is before you can try to unlock it after locking it (by mistake)? Then the worst part is then trying to juggle stuff around in my hand so I can try to get a finger or two around the back of the handle to get it to unlock. There has got to be a better way.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

FWIW, my F150 is similar in that not grabbing the handle just right results in it actually locking. I hate that. With both my S5 and SQ5, grabbing the handle from underneath is 99% accurate ... but 100% less natural in terms of ergonomics than grabbing the handle from the top. I also find the latest Audis take longer to unlock/lock; our 2014 SQ5 never had "false locks" when unlocking and was immediate. Again, my F150 is similarly slow. Must be something about the latest iteration of keyless entry (across manufacturers).
Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I am not the only one with this problem - So annoying! You go to open the door and "BEEP" 'it just locked instead of unlocked'

I hope Audi has a software update to fix this...
Old 02-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
I don't recommend the 'firm handshake' method. The trick is to keep your thumb (and anything else) away from the lock sensor. Originally, I was grabbing the handle with fingers in back and my thumb naturally landing on the lock sensor - sending mixed signals to the car.

Now it's just fingers on the handle, pulling - opens easily every time.

To lock, I place the back of my hand against the lock sensor...no need to look for the little sensor to place my thumb against!
Thanks for the tip, this method allows for a perfect lock or unlock 100% of the time.