Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Driver Assistance Package on Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Assistance Package on Q5

Is it worth getting the Driver Assistance Package on the Q5? Any body has experience with this package? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Any package along with colors, options, extras and model types are all a personal choice. What you need v's what you want, what you can afford v's are you willing to pay for it. Remember a fully loaded vehicle is easier to sell 2nd hand but you will not recover the extra paid over a standard model, so don't treat it as an investment.
There will be some who can't live without the drivers assistance package, others with it that used it once or twice and others who got it and found it just a gimmick.

For me regular driving has me in two different vehicles, one with adaptive cruise control and one without it. I find ACC ideal for my driving environment and it is annoying going back to standard cruise - so paying $1800 just for ACC is worth it. High beam assistance is useless in an urban environment and Traffic sign recognition picks up too many false readings to be reliable. As for Traffic jam assist and Active lane assist I have not used these features yet (still awaiting for my Q5 to arrive) so can't comment.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ACC in the DAP+ is worth it. You will thank us later once you realize how nice having ACC + LKA is for normal boring commutes. Don't forget that when you sell the car those things will be standard and make yours stand out vs ones without the options .
Old 06-11-2018, 03:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that I used it for a while I will never get a car without it. With the auto reading of speed limit signs it takes a single click to reset adaptive cruse control to the speed limit +5 (personal choice) and the car basically drives itself (hands still on the wheel). The whole thing is very user friendly.
The following users liked this post:
G4ry (02-14-2021)
Old 06-11-2018, 03:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

One more thing - Active Lane Assist teaches you very quickly to stay in the center of the lane - sort of an independent arbiter of the endless wife/husband arguing who hugs the lanes
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I drove one with adaptive cruise. I am glad I ordered one with DAP. totally worth it in my opinion. I also go country side for my trips and have to deal with alternating between high and low beams. I am excited to use the DAP for this heavy-lifting
Old 06-11-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would not order my car until the adaptive cruise control was available to order. That was a must have feature. I use it all the time on the freeway.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm sold on the technology. With that said, it's not perfect. I often find the active lane assist beeping at me during long straight roads because it doesn't think I'm holding onto the wheel. There might be something I can do that would defeat that (open to suggestions and yes I'm holding onto the wheel). The adaptive cruise control is absolutely awesome. However, it can be rather jarring in traffic. It's not exactly smooth and while I can tolerate it, it freaks out my passengers sometimes. At times it will break a bit too late or if someone moves out of the way in front of you but traffic is stopped in front of them, it will accelerate (if currently traveling at less than set speed) and then slam on the brakes as it meets traffic. Another issue I have is when traveling in the left most lane, if someone turns into the center lane out of mine to make a left turn, the car will slam on it's brakes briefly as it passes even though the vehicle is fully out of the way. If all you want is something that will follow traffic on the freeway, it's great, for around town driving it's a bit rough.

What I suggest, is to do a long test drive in traffic with it. I think that will help you understand it's limitations and get a feel for how it operates. I love it, but like I said it's far from perfect.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
I'm sold on the technology. With that said, it's not perfect. I often find the active lane assist beeping at me during long straight roads because it doesn't think I'm holding onto the wheel. There might be something I can do that would defeat that (open to suggestions and yes I'm holding onto the wheel). The adaptive cruise control is absolutely awesome. However, it can be rather jarring in traffic. It's not exactly smooth and while I can tolerate it, it freaks out my passengers sometimes. At times it will break a bit too late or if someone moves out of the way in front of you but traffic is stopped in front of them, it will accelerate (if currently traveling at less than set speed) and then slam on the brakes as it meets traffic. Another issue I have is when traveling in the left most lane, if someone turns into the center lane out of mine to make a left turn, the car will slam on it's brakes briefly as it passes even though the vehicle is fully out of the way. If all you want is something that will follow traffic on the freeway, it's great, for around town driving it's a bit rough.

What I suggest, is to do a long test drive in traffic with it. I think that will help you understand it's limitations and get a feel for how it operates. I love it, but like I said it's far from perfect.
I agree with you. I have heard the same complaints from others as well. It does help on a long boring drive when you mostly cruise.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

DAP reduces the driving workload for the driver and makes trips less tiring. My only concern is when traffic jam assist is active (under 40 mph), I have noticed a tendency for the steering to wander away from the center of the lane. This is aggravating as these steering inputs tend to fight against me. My local dealer is looking into this but would like me to believe it normal. It's annoying enough that I have traffic jam assist turned off. Anyone else have a similar experience with traffic jam assist?

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Package on Q5