Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

drove all the Macans, and....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all good stuff and yes all of these are great options and similar. After those drives, I realized that it's just an SUV that I don't want really. the SQ5 to me was better value and just better overall compared to the macan (at least the ones I drove). I did not look or drive the x3.... I had 2 bmw's in the past and have no desire to go back. while I did enjoy my 335i, I hated my m3 and promised myself I would never get another one lol.
All that being said, I found a nice deal on a c63 today that is being considered lol....
Old 09-24-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The current issue of Motor Trend has a comparo that includes the Macan Turbo; one of their comments pretty much reflected what's been said here:

"But there's something off about the Porsche. It's not in the way it drives, but in the way it makes you feel—or not feel, rather. There's a sort of numbness to the Macan Turbo that's tough to identify—the Novocain-numb steering is part of the issue, but there's more to it. Although this crossover is supremely capable, I found myself daydreaming about bills to be paid and errands to run. Nearly every other editor felt (or didn't feel, as the case may be) the same detachment. "There's no doubt about its capability, but there's just no emotion in it," features editor Scott Evans said. "Driving a good car up a good road is supposed to be an escape. The Macan wasn't acting like one."
Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I felt exactly the same way about a 335 I owned once. Did everything very very well, but it had no soul. I just never connected with it. Then when it went through 4 sets of injectors I felt something, but none of it was positive.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

LOL... I would definitely not buy a Macan after driving a few of them.
I will say on my 335i though, it was a fun car just because of the torque and speed, at least to me. I'm NOT a BMW fan in any way and I then traded it for an M3 that I hated lol. this was when it was the true twin turbo 6, which is not the same as the ones today.
In any case, I think I'll be keeping my sq5 for a while.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree. I wouldn’t buy a Macan either but my wife loves it and wants one. So yea. Her call since all the other cars were my call.

Btw, I was browsing through a Porsche Macan forum a few days back and it’s the total opposite there. No one would buy an SQ5 or X3 M40i over a Macan S/GTS/Turbo apparently. If it were me, I’d get an X3 M40i in a heartbeat.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I would buy a Mecan GTS over a SQ5 if I could afford it. I would rather retire and all I do is haul a MTB around and sweat in it.... so I save the money. For the moment till I break down and buy one cause I obsess...
Old 09-24-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

well I thought the day I went to drive the turbo, that I was going to part with my SQ5 until I drove it. 100% other direction after that test drive. i also drove the S which wasn't even in the conversation and really the one, based on price, that would be somewhat comparable to the sq5. a new turbo is 90k? the one I saw was $67k and had 22,000 miles on it. I was shocked that I didn't love them but I didn't. I also saw a GTS but that's really less power than the turbo model and just as much $$$.
now if I was buying on looks alone, the GTS crushes them all, to me it's a great looking vehicle.... but again, the one I was looking at was $68k and 1 year old with 7,000 miles... same as my sq5 but I paid $54k. big difference and I'm fairly confident that the SQ is faster and drives just as good. to me, how it drives is VERY important.... just my opinion here. I never drove the x3 m4000 whatever that thing is but I don't like interiors on the BMW's... very plain and ugly especially compared the SQ. I think my (our) interior is one of the nicest of any suv, not to mention materials carbon fiber, diamond stitched leather, fit and finish are great, and no one has the 12.3" google aerial/maps in their dash board along with a 2nd screen for car play, maps, radio whatever.
BTW, today they added google maps to the car play in IOS12 and now I can have google maps on the center screen in street view while the dash shows google aerials... pretty sick, I love that kind of stuff lol...
Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5
I felt exactly the same way about a 335 I owned once. Did everything very very well, but it had no soul. I just never connected with it. Then when it went through 4 sets of injectors I felt something, but none of it was positive.
Wow I had the exact same feeling. I had a 2009 BMW 335XI coupe all the bells and whistles and it did everything so well it was boring.....I also had injector issues and was stranded on the way to NYC...special thaks to Prestige BMW who took care of me! A very belated plug
Old 10-07-2018, 05:14 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Hey guys

Recently just got an SQ5 in Australia, thought I post some feedback. My brother recently got a Macan earlier this year and as a comparison to my 2 weeks old SQ5
Macan
Better look
Better steering/handling
Faster PDK

SQ5
More responsive engine
Better value
Brand new FY model with new MLB platform

Interior, personally I think SQ5 is better esp with Virtual cockpit. Macan looks little dated and bit less special. Exhaust note on SQ5 is nice but Macan is more aggressive. Not a fan at all with SQ5 fake exhaust and fake exhaust sound from speaker on dynamic mode. Handling, I felt SQ5 is more like a go kart and more agile where Macan felt more composed. The biggest complain I have for the Sq5 is the light steering feel which I'm trying to adjust to.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by samchuang33
Hey guys

Recently just got an SQ5 in Australia, thought I post some feedback. My brother recently got a Macan earlier this year and as a comparison to my 2 weeks old SQ5
Macan
Better look
Better steering/handling
Faster PDK

SQ5
More responsive engine
Better value
Brand new FY model with new MLB platform

Interior, personally I think SQ5 is better esp with Virtual cockpit. Macan looks little dated and bit less special. Exhaust note on SQ5 is nice but Macan is more aggressive. Not a fan at all with SQ5 fake exhaust and fake exhaust sound from speaker on dynamic mode. Handling, I felt SQ5 is more like a go kart and more agile where Macan felt more composed. The biggest complain I have for the Sq5 is the light steering feel which I'm trying to adjust to.
accurate assessment...

Quick Reply: drove all the Macans, and....