Found a nice cargo box for my SQ5 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Audi Q5 > Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page > Found a nice cargo box for my SQ5
Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Found a nice cargo box for my SQ5

Old 09-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Found a nice cargo box for my SQ5

I needed a cargo box for a short-term move to California and went to REI to find one for my 2018 SQ5 with factory bars. I purchased the Yakima Skybox 16 for $499, since it has a lot of room and can handle skis up to 185cm. The problem is it was a little long and the angle of the roof caused it to sit at an angle and catch the wind. It made a bit of noise over 70MPH and I could see the front wavering in the wind. So I took it back and got the Thule Motion XT which is also a 16 cubic ft box, but is 5 inches shorter and made of thicker plastic. It fits better and doesn't waver in the wind. It cost a bit more at $649, but is much better!
Attached Thumbnails
Found a nice cargo box for my SQ5-img_3331.jpg   Found a nice cargo box for my SQ5-img_3333.jpg  
Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks great! Congrats on the purchase and thanks for sharing the experience. I've been looking for a cargo box as well but am leaning more towards a cargo bag since it'll be easier to store away and is cheaper.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for sharing. Did you get the Motion XT L or XL? After speaking with Thule a couple of weeks ago, I might be ordering the L.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
Thanks for sharing. Did you get the Motion XT L or XL? After speaking with Thule a couple of weeks ago, I might be ordering the L.
the L is 16L and XL is 18L so I believe he has the L.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

A much nicer looking box, more modern looking!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
It's the Motion XT L.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yakima Skybox Pro 16s

Yakima Skybox Pro 16S
Old 09-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks nice!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dawiz4u View Post
Looks nice!
Thanks. I found it's about 1" too long even at the setting furthest to the back. I also notice the attack angle isn't the best, so we'll see how that goes. I just need to move it from Indiana to Florida, after that won't use it too much.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dawiz4u View Post
I needed a cargo box for a short-term move to California and went to REI to find one for my 2018 SQ5 with factory bars. I purchased the Yakima Skybox 16 for $499, since it has a lot of room and can handle skis up to 185cm. The problem is it was a little long and the angle of the roof caused it to sit at an angle and catch the wind. It made a bit of noise over 70MPH and I could see the front wavering in the wind. So I took it back and got the Thule Motion XT which is also a 16 cubic ft box, but is 5 inches shorter and made of thicker plastic. It fits better and doesn't waver in the wind. It cost a bit more at $649, but is much better!
Looks to me that the hatch in the full open position is going to hit the box. There is room to move the box forward on the bars which should let the box be clear of the hatch.

Thule and Yakima both have a chart which helps determine which boxes fit with the hatch fully open.

I have a Thule Flow, a very long and low box designed for alpine skis, that according to the chart is too long for the hatch to open fully. It does fit by 1/4"! I started a cargo box thread a few months ago.

Search this Thread