Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Handwriting recognition cheat sheet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handwriting recognition cheat sheet?

My "one" is often interpreted as a "capital i", my "nine" comes out as a "g". I've surfed the web a little but can't find a gestures cheat sheet. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks,

TJ
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thetoddjohnson
My "one" is often interpreted as a "capital i", my "nine" comes out as a "g". I've surfed the web a little but can't find a gestures cheat sheet. Does anyone know where I can find one?
I have had the same problem with "1"... tried writing it like times-roman font, and I think i got success with that.
I did find that using a mix of upper & lower case instead of all one upper case as I was writing worked better for letters... The Quick BRowN FoX JuMPS oVeR The LaZy dog
Example:
g better than G because G looks like C
R better than r because r sometimes converted to a v
Z better than z because z was somehow always coming out as a 2
S (written SMOOTHLY) better than s because s came out as 5
5 needs to be written with straight lines, and the top bar written last.
so on, and so on...
I did look in the manual, and found no hints.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I'm learning by trial and error. It was in 1993 (25 years ago!) that Apple gave us such a cheat sheet. Presumably Audi has done the same. I'm hoping someone will see this thread and enlighten us.

TJ
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

In the 9 months that I have had my SQ5 I have met a bunch of other owners. I have not found a single person who uses the handwriting recognition functionality. I've come to the conclusion that it is one of those things that is impressive to people who are shopping for cars but worthless once the wow-factor dies. Is there anybody on this forum who uses it for any purpose other than to demonstrate it for friends?
Old 10-29-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the 9 months that I have had my SQ5 I have met a bunch of other owners. I have not found a single person who uses the handwriting recognition functionality. I've come to the conclusion that it is one of those things that is impressive to people who are shopping for cars but worthless once the wow-factor dies. Is there anybody on this forum who uses it for any purpose other than to demonstrate it for friends?
I don't use it, or demonstrate it for friends. How about that...? Total waste of space and "functionality", such as it is. Thankfully, both Waze and Google Maps allow voice through CarPlay, and it works pretty well.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Maybe I'm the odd one, but when trying to input addresses which either don't start with a number (e.g. a place of interest) or if the street name is odd (e.g. many foreign or native American based words), the MMI will often not be able to find it. My only recourse is writing on the pad and this I did a lot on my summer road trip.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Maybe I'm the odd one, but when trying to input addresses which either don't start with a number (e.g. a place of interest) or if the street name is odd (e.g. many foreign or native American based words), the MMI will often not be able to find it. My only recourse is writing on the pad and this I did a lot on my summer road trip.
I use it I guess for variety, and also I can draw on the pad while driving if I have to input something on the fly, and not look down. of course I do use the presets at the top for xm and fm radio.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually use it occasionally, usually when voice recognition fails me! Interestingly, I then fall back to my 1990s Palm Pilot graffiti and the MMI properly recognizes it as intended.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I have ZERO luck with the pad. And to boot, if I try to change those rocker switches (for fans/AC/etc), the palm of my hand tends to bump those stupid pre-set buttons, and switches the MMI to radio. Ugghhh….. like I said before "Palm Pilot, from the 90's called, and they want their graphite tablet back!"
Old 10-29-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

It is there predominantly for the Chinese market. An alphabet of around 4000 basic "letters" would require a giant scroll wheel.

Quick Reply: Handwriting recognition cheat sheet?