Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Harsh grinding on steep driveway

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harsh grinding on steep driveway

I just moved into a new home that has a driveway that is steep (vertical) and angled (horizontal) quite a bit (30-40 degrees). Every time I drive into my garage there is a very harsh grinding sound and feel under the gas pedal. I am pretty certain clearance isnt the issue since I also have a Tesla Model 3 that doesnt make that sound. Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It could be the Audi Pre-Sense kicking in. I have heard that sound couple times once when backing into traffic, another time when a fool stopped in the middle of the freeway to cut cars off the backed-up lane.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by codeBruin
I just moved into a new home that has a driveway that is steep (vertical) and angled (horizontal) quite a bit (30-40 degrees). Every time I drive into my garage there is a very harsh grinding sound and feel under the gas pedal. I am pretty certain clearance isnt the issue since I also have a Tesla Model 3 that doesnt make that sound. Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?
Mine does that on first start up, ie in the morning and only going very slowly. It goes away after I drive off and doesn't come back till the next day.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I also experience this sometimes. I always thought it was the stability control. It usually happens when the vehicle is at an unusual or uneven angle. I have a new Volkswagen Amarok truck, which does the same. Never experienced it in the 6 years of ownership of my previous Amarok. It must have something to do with the latest VW/Audi group stability control (or similar system).
(By the way, the Amarok is a fantastic vehicle. It drives nothing like a truck - more like an (expensive german) SUV. And the V6 (3.0 diesel) goes like a Boeing. For once, you guys in the States are the ones missing out.)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes. I stopped the car and took a look right when i started hearing the harsh grinding and my car is definitely in a very uneven angle (right front wheel is completely suspended in the air). Is it very bad for the car to have the stability control kick in? It feels like something is about to break under the car.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had this happened to me a few times, like sometimes going over a bumper. But it happened very rarely.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

When you park on a steep driveway I recommend the following for any car ...

Pull up to the point you wish to park at and stop with your foot on the brake
Keeping your foot on the brake put the car in “Neutral” THEN apply/pull up the “Parking Brake”
Confirm the parking brake red light is on
Release the foot brake and allow the car to rest on the parking brake
NOW put the car in PARK and shut off the engine.

If you do not use the parking brake and only put the car in PARK the entire weight of the car is resting on the PARK gear in the transmission. When you go to drive again and tell the transmission to move the gears from PARK into Reverse or Drive the transmission is grinding a bit to get out of PARK becuause you have the entire weight of the car pressing the car onto that PARK gear.

This is like trying to turn a doorknob in your house while leaning very hard into the door...you can turn the **** but it’s going grind a bit then the door will POP open when you get the **** turned all the way...

Last edited by MkVI GTI; 06-13-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the tip. My garage itself is level and I do use the parking brake, although I do not typically precede that with putting the car in neutral first.

The harsh grinding is when I am pulling into the steep entryway into the garage. I drive up a large hill and then a steep awkwardly angled driveway to get into my garage that is level with the rest of my house. Partway into my entry into the garage, my car is at a very awkward angle (right front wheel is transiently suspended in air) and it is during this time there is a very loud harsh grinding under the car until I get to the level ground.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by codeBruin
Thanks for the tip. My garage itself is level and I do use the parking brake, although I do not typically precede that with putting the car in neutral first.

The harsh grinding is when I am pulling into the steep entryway into the garage. I drive up a large hill and then a steep awkwardly angled driveway to get into my garage that is level with the rest of my house. Partway into my entry into the garage, my car is at a very awkward angle (right front wheel is transiently suspended in air) and it is during this time there is a very loud harsh grinding under the car until I get to the level ground.
So the right front wheel is off the ground as you turn up the driveway? I had a house like that once with a corkscrew driveway.

That does not sound good. I would not think having any wheel off the ground would be good for the AWD system. I think the ABS can kick in to stop the free spinning wheel and get the power to the wheel with traction, might be that?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Not a perfect option but is there room to pull forward and try reversing into the garage?