Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

How to use the Hill Descent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to use the Hill Descent?

When I press the button on centre stack, I see “pre sense currently limited”. Any idea?
Old 11-20-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

According to the manual, all you do is use the brake pedal while going down a hill and I guess when you release the brake pedal, that speed gets set and the car uses the transmission to help control the speed within certain limitations. What button are you referring to?
Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzie
According to the manual, all you do is use the brake pedal while going down a hill and I guess when you release the brake pedal, that speed gets set and the car uses the transmission to help control the speed within certain limitations. What button are you referring to?
this is the part I was referring to. Can anyone explain this section to me in layman's words?

Last edited by rentonrenton; 11-20-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a STEEP hill that you want to descend slowly (less than 19mph or 30kmh), usually off road with gravel or in icy conditions, turn that switch on.
Hill descent will help you maintain the speed you were driving when you started the hill until you get to the bottom or use the accelerator.

Its purpose is a slow, controlled descent in dodgy conditions, therefore avoiding locking up your brakes.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

As I understand it (not having used it), you get going at a speed < 19 mph, press the button, and the car should maintain that speed if you are on a hill >= 6%. You can then use the gas and brake to adjust the speed down or up to 19mph. If > 37mph, the system will deactivate the feature and turn off the LED button.

I did some reading on this with winter coming - debating if this is something to use on icy hills. Didn't find a good answer to this. Most advise being you should be in neutral going down a hill and using the brakes. Having brakes plus AWD engine brake appears to be OK on ice and hopefully not too much of a hijack to ask for anyone with experience on ice to chime in if you've used Hill Descent.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
As I understand it (not having used it), you get going at a speed < 19 mph, press the button, and the car should maintain that speed if you are on a hill >= 6%. You can then use the gas and brake to adjust the speed down or up to 19mph. If > 37mph, the system will deactivate the feature and turn off the LED button.

I did some reading on this with winter coming - debating if this is something to use on icy hills. Didn't find a good answer to this. Most advise being you should be in neutral going down a hill and using the brakes. Having brakes plus AWD engine brake appears to be OK on ice and hopefully not too much of a hijack to ask for anyone with experience on ice to chime in if you've used Hill Descent.
Not this. Do not use neutral and brakes going down hills. Good way to destroy your brakes if you do it on a large hill, (I mean mountain like out west) and then risk brake failure and an ugly crash. The whole idea of hill descent is to use engine braking and save your disc brakes from overheating. Also I read somewhere in my 2002 allroad manual that going any distance in neutral is bad for the quattro drive system.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rentonrenton
this is the part I was referring to. Can anyone explain this section to me in layman's words?
That must be a different button for Canada. Here is the US it is a Hill Hold Assist button

Old 11-20-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!

That must be a different button for Canada. Here is the US it is a Hill Hold Assist button
You are saying that you do not have this highlighted button? Hill Hold has to do with going UP a hill.

Last edited by SQuirelly5; 11-20-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5
You are saying that you do not have this highlighted button? Hill Hold has to do with going UP a hill.

Yes we have the button...but if you check the U.S. manual it shows Hill hold assist which is a totally different thing...holds the car in place (going up or down) for that brief instant while your foot is moving from brake to gas. This only applies to when you're already stopped on a hill, and you want to start to move.

Last edited by Benzie; 11-20-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes we have the button...but if you check the U.S. manual it shows Hill hold assist
I understand what Hill Descent and Hill Hold are.

So you are saying in place of this highlighted button you have one for Hill Hold? Because that requires nothing but a brake pedal.

Im sorry, but I am finding your posts quite confusing.

Quick Reply: How to use the Hill Descent?