Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Inlays

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inlays

Has anyone seen or has a pic(other than audis stock photo) of the aluminim Rhombus inlays? Curious if they look cheap. Not a fan of the high gloss wood and the grey/brown ash is rediculous for $850.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm always surprised at what people find ridiculous in prices. I hate the loud gray inlays and I don't think dark brown goes too well with black leather, so I opted for the 'Fine Grain Ash Natural wood, gray brown.' Is it expensive? Yes. Will I be happy knowing I paid to get exactly what I want? Yes, and that's why I custom ordered.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Garrett Gyssler
I'm always surprised at what people find ridiculous in prices. I hate the loud gray inlays and I don't think dark brown goes too well with black leather, so I opted for the 'Fine Grain Ash Natural wood, gray brown.' Is it expensive? Yes. Will I be happy knowing I paid to get exactly what I want? Yes, and that's why I custom ordered.
My sales guy was surprised about the ash inlays, since it is much cheaper on an A4. At $350, i would have jumped on it, but the extra $500 made me pause to realize the walnut didn't look so bad. I tried to get the open-grained oak changed on my order, but by the time it hit the configurator my order closed.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube with Q5s with the aluminum trim. I don't think it looks cheap. It looks higher tech than the wood. My wife likes wood, so walnut is what I'll be getting when I finally get my Q5.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also got the Fine Grain Ash Natural wood, gray brown. I have the rock gray leather on order. Its not so much the aluminum was bad, its that there is more of it in places that was not in the 2017 model. Aluminum better than the brown in my opinion - it looked too plasticky..
Old 06-02-2017, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Garrett Gyssler
I custom ordered my last 2 Q5's so I get paying for what u want but when the upgraded inlays are either no cost or around $350 on every other Audi Model its rediculous. Funny the other post mentions Salesman thinking it was out of wack because I had similar conversation with sales mngr I know at dealership. He said sales team actually had discussion previously about price being so high they checked with Audi corporate thinking it was a typo. But I agree the ash looks nice.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Surprised Audi is now charging for the Fine Grain Ash. It was no additional charge on my 2017. They definitely are not passing any of the manufacturing savings they are getting down in Mexico to the consumer. Pretty sad.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Has anyone seen or has a pic(other than audis stock photo) of the aluminim Rhombus inlays? Curious if they look cheap. Not a fan of the high gloss wood and the grey/brown ash is rediculous for $850.
We had the same dilemma with our Ibis White and Nougat Brown Prestige custom order. We debated between high gloss Walnut Brown, Aluminum and the Gray Oak. If the Oak wasn't so expensive, we would have chosen that. We also leaned towards the Aluminum as we thought it's suits us better. But our sales person suggested to go with the default Walnut Brown to avoid having too much happening in the cabin, so we went with that.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the walnut in my 2017 Allroad as well as in my 2014 Q5, and I like the look - maybe too glossy, but it warms up the interior and is a nice compliment to the nougat brown seats. Word of caution though - it gets micro scratches quite easily.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Gray Oak High-gloss, but maybe I should reconsider and upgrade to the Fine Grain Ash Natural Gray Brown. Are there any pictures comparing these two?

I simply didn't because I felt it was a pure rip off to be charged for an inlay.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking to get the carbon fiber with my order. Any impressions who saw them or own a car with it?

Quick Reply: Inlays