Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

iPod "not supported"

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod "not supported"

Brought home my new Q5 on Friday, and my (7th gen) iPod Nano will not connect with the MMI. I have changed cables, changed USP ports, done several "hard" restarts of the iPod...nothing works...Media screen on the MMI still says "not supported". This is the same iPod and cable that came out of an A4, where it worked fine minutes before. Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue here on my 2018 Q5
Old 06-20-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. I have the iPod Nano (7th Gen), just not my 2018 Q5 yet. So am interested in this.

Have you tried by any chance just using Bluetooth only?
Old 06-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, with no luck on the iPod...it does work with my iPhone. The MMI does not recognize the iPod at all.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Our Honda Odyssey has a specific selector for the iPod...perhaps there is one in the MMI?

On page 174 of the manual it states the source should be set to 'Audi music interface'

Since the 7th gen is using a lightning port then it should be USB 2.0 compatible which the manual says it must be. I'm drawing at straws here.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

What's an iPod?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, is an iPod -- from a sound perspective -- something that is "better" than an iPhone? This is the first time I have seen the "term" iPod, seemingly, in DECADES!

And I'm over 60! My iPhone has thousands of songs on it, dozens of audio books and hundreds of photos -- probably has a movie on it, for all I know -- why, prey tell, would there be a need -- no offense meant -- for ANOTHER freakin' device?

Can an iPod's contents be moved to an iPhone?

Of course, I'm still wondering where the cassette player on my 2018 is.

Thank god I bought a back-up VHS deck just in case they ever became obsolete.

Sorry -- my assumption is that someone, somewhere did a "market penetration" evaluation and came up with a number (under 1%) for iPod use so small it couldn't be displayed -- so someone in [Audi corporate] finance said, "You know we've got to pay for that damn diesel-gate crap, so anything we can do to save a Euro or two here and there, we should do -- bye bye iPod interface."

Last edited by markcincinnati; 06-20-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

According to the 2018 Audi Q5 Owners' Manual:

The USB Adapter on the Audi Music Interface will support iPod Touch/iPhone from the 5th Generation or later with the lightning connector.
The iPod Nano is not supported. I recommend buying a cheap used iPod Touch 5 or later if having it is important to the OP. Lots of deals can be found in Craigslist.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Most new cars will support a thumb drive. I don't even mess with my ipods anymore. Store the music to the thumb drive and use that for backup, sometimes use it instead of the phone. Reads the playlists as well as the songs.
With Android Auto/Car Play there are lots of choices.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod not supported

I have also bought a new Q5 and a new iPod
And thought my iPhone works well with CarPlay function, and the iPod works on blue tooth, it shows as not supported if plugged into the USB.
Checked with the garage...iPods work on other models but not the Q5.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
What's an iPod?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, is an iPod -- from a sound perspective -- something that is "better" than an iPhone? This is the first time I have seen the "term" iPod, seemingly, in DECADES!

And I'm over 60! My iPhone has thousands of songs on it, dozens of audio books and hundreds of photos -- probably has a movie on it, for all I know -- why, prey tell, would there be a need -- no offense meant -- for ANOTHER freakin' device?

Can an iPod's contents be moved to an iPhone?

Of course, I'm still wondering where the cassette player on my 2018 is.

Thank god I bought a back-up VHS deck just in case they ever became obsolete.

Sorry -- my assumption is that someone, somewhere did a "market penetration" evaluation and came up with a number (under 1%) for iPod use so small it couldn't be displayed -- so someone in [Audi corporate] finance said, "You know we've got to pay for that damn diesel-gate crap, so anything we can do to save a Euro or two here and there, we should do -- bye bye iPod interface."
I was about to complain that I couldn't find the 8 track player. Thought it might be on the Prestige but not the Premium Plus. Thanks for your insight.

Quick Reply: iPod "not supported"