Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Lease vs. Buy advice-2019 Q5 Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edwyun
I did a one-pay lease to get a good deal, get the numbers and MF lower than a typical lease, and save a few thousand off a normal lease.
I talked to my dealer about that concept relative to my wife's A4 and was told "they don't do that", so I didn't even ask on mine. Did you do it through Audi or an independent leasing company?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Audi absolutely does it, I’ve done it for a few clients. Sometimes it makes sense and other times it doesn’t. Very car/transaction specific
Old 06-12-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

To my understanding, the only time leasing really comes out ahead financially is if you can write it off as a business expense. In most cases, even buying and selling at 3 years comes out ahead

If you have the ability to cut a check, knowing nothing about you I'm gonna assume you have good credit and financing and investing may be a better idea. That's what I did a year ago and it has payed off very nicely for me. I'm financing for 4 years and I think I pay like 300 extra a year in interest fees, which is a drop in the bucket for what I turned investing. Just a thought.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Chawski
To my understanding, the only time leasing really comes out ahead financially is if you can write it off as a business expense. In most cases, even buying and selling at 3 years comes out ahead

If you have the ability to cut a check, knowing nothing about you I'm gonna assume you have good credit and financing and investing may be a better idea. That's what I did a year ago and it has payed off very nicely for me. I'm financing for 4 years and I think I pay like 300 extra a year in interest fees, which is a drop in the bucket for what I turned investing. Just a thought.
That may or may not be true

depends how much cash you put down up front on the buy (insulating you from inequity), whether you got into an accident during your ownership term (carfax report), and other factors

there is no one best way...it’s circumstantial
Old 06-12-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

there is no one best way...it’s circumstantial
This is the best answer yet.

The reality is that a 60k car is, on paper, a terrible purchase. It's all about what works for ya and what makes you happy
Old 06-12-2019, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Agreed. There are so many individual factors and values. For me the thought of having a penalty for exceeding mileage limits would always be in the back of my mind. I don't rent my house and if something goes wrong with it, it may cost more, but at least it's mine. I feel the same way about a car. From what others have shared, I can see that the opposite is a totally valid perspective ... for them.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Agreed. There are so many individual factors and values. For me the thought of having a penalty for exceeding mileage limits would always be in the back of my mind. I don't rent my house and if something goes wrong with it, it may cost more, but at least it's mine. I feel the same way about a car. From what others have shared, I can see that the opposite is a totally valid perspective ... for them.
Food for thought, since some might not be aware: With an Audi lease, mid way through the term, if you're trending to go over, you can buy more miles
The following users liked this post:
Tonibooten (11-15-2021)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redherring
I talked to my dealer about that concept relative to my wife's A4 and was told "they don't do that", so I didn't even ask on mine. Did you do it through Audi or an independent leasing company?

Negotiated with 2 Audi dealers with Audi Financial Services. Signed with one of them. The form lease for AFS has provisions for both a regular lease and one-pay lease. It does require the dealer to do some number crunching that they are not used to.

What also happened is that, after I signed the one-pay lease, it was reviewed by AFS and they corrected (reduced my price for) it.

Last edited by edwyun; 06-12-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Food for thought, since some might not be aware: With an Audi lease, mid way through the term, if you're trending to go over, you can buy more miles
Agreed. If I remember correctly, the cost of the miles goes up from beginning, middle and then end of the lease term. In the end, what happened in my case was that they gave me more credit for the extra miles than what I should have paid for them at the beginning of the lease (part of the one-pay lease negotiation). Not sure about your area but the dealers I was negotiating with were chomping at the bit for a one-pay lease.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chawski
This is the best answer yet.

The reality is that a 60k car is, on paper, a terrible purchase. It's all about what works for ya and what makes you happy
So true. I know about money factor on my lease, but a lease does not take into account the Wow factor you get with the spirited driving of an Audi. LOL

Quick Reply: Lease vs. Buy advice-2019 Q5 Prestige