Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Light vibration on acceleration

Old 12-16-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Light vibration on acceleration

2018 q5 with 2900 miles. I have recently noticed that I have an engine or drivetrain vibration when I lightly accelerate while at highway speeds. For instance if I am on a straight smooth road at 72 mph and lightly press on the accelerator to get up to 75 mph there will be vibration. If I back off to where I am no longer accelerating the vivration goes away. This happens at other speeds as well, but is pretty pronounced at speeds in the 70's.

Does anyone else have this problem. The dealer says what problem? For a new $50K car, I expect it to be smoother than it is.

Comments?
Old 12-16-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Note the RPM when it happens. For economy, in comfort or auto the transmission shifts to the highest gear possible, usually around 1200 to 1500 RPM when cruising. With no torque converter, it's like a manual transmission and lugs a bit if you lightly press the gas, if you press a little more, it smoothly shifts a gear. Use dynamic or drive a bit more aggressively in auto if you don't like it.

My experience with it is at lower speeds as I drive mostly locally.

Last edited by patmurphey; 12-16-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Winter Cabriolet
2018 q5 with 2900 miles. I have recently noticed that I have an engine or drivetrain vibration when I lightly accelerate while at highway speeds. For instance if I am on a straight smooth road at 72 mph and lightly press on the accelerator to get up to 75 mph there will be vibration. If I back off to where I am no longer accelerating the vivration goes away. This happens at other speeds as well, but is pretty pronounced at speeds in the 70's.

Does anyone else have this problem. The dealer says what problem? For a new $50K car, I expect it to be smoother than it is.

Comments?
Sounds to me like what I experienced when I had an out of balance CV axle in the front. I would absolutely bring it to the dealership and let them diagnose and fix.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

It happens in Dynamic mode and other modes. At 70 mph it's turning (I think) at about 1800 rpm.

The dealer blew me off. I was thinking about going to a different dealer.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't use dynamic, but I suspect that the issue is the same. The "lugging" load at 1800 rpm at 70 mph is likely similar to what I see in my example. The behavior is similar to a manual transmission at that low rpm at that speed.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Funny, I didnt notice it unitl recently on my 2018 Q5 (about 6k miles). when it starts to stumble, I give it more gas to increase revs. Not happy about it... seems like an easy fix if they play around with the electronimc shift points.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonygba
Funny, I didnt notice it unitl recently on my 2018 Q5 (about 6k miles). when it starts to stumble, I give it more gas to increase revs. Not happy about it... seems like an easy fix if they play around with the electronimc shift points.
Last two posts are talking about a different problem altogether. Would be easy for the OP to tell the difference between the two because if it's an out of balance CV, that would show itself at speed regardless of the gear the car is in as long as that axle is still under load (accelerating). The lugging you refer to, which would be a different sort of vibration altogether, would stop or at least change with a downshift.

Last edited by Benzie; 12-17-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Winter Cabriolet

Comments?
Did you figure out what the cause was? I’m having the same problem at 19,000 miles.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

The dealer claims that he does not feel it. It feels like it's lugging. Increase the rpm by downshifting or speeding up and it goes away. For awhile I thought that it was octane related (premium vs mid grade) but I decided that the octane has nothing to do with it.

If you bring your car in, let me know what the dealer says.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I just had a loaner Q5 and I noticed that engine exhibited some harshness in the 1200-1400 rpm range when cruising (not accelerating). I suspect that it’s a feature of the engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Light vibration on acceleration