Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Long Crank (hey now...)???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Long Crank (hey now...)???

Has anyone else noticed their car taking significantly longer to turn over with age/mileage?

When the car was new, regardless of how long my car had been sitting, it typically fired immediately, however I've now noticed that the car cranks for roughly 4 seconds before firing. If it has been driven within an hour or two of restarting, there's no, or very little issue.

I'd like to say it's weather related, however it's been occurring since late summer.

I'm typically oblivious to things like this, however it's now become apparent.

Interestingly, my former BMW had the same issue, and they replaced my high pressure fuel pump, under warranty, which eliminated the issue altogether.

Normal behavior? I don't believe it warrants a trip to the dealer just yet, especially if others are experiencing similar behavior.

2018 SQ5 - 17k miles
Old 02-20-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

In order:

1. Scan for codes. Any fuel pump issues should show up. If all clear then:
2. If you haven't done so already use a strong dose of Techron. Can't hurt.
3. Kind of soon for spark plugs unless mainly short trips. Tired higher mileage spark plugs do behave like this.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks rd, appreciate the reply...

If it persists, I'll have the dealer do a scan (I don't have a reader).

I'll report back on whether or not the situation worsens...
Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Low battery can cause it as well. Otherwise I'd say this isn't normal.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Low battery can cause it as well. Otherwise I'd say this isn't normal.
I doubt his battery would be low if he drives more than 5 miles daily
Old 02-24-2019, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

With such low revs when driving, charging is quite restricted on all vehicles. My commute is 17 minutes on the highway everyday. I left home in my 340, drove to work and it puked the "battery discharged, start your engine" warning (we had left the car for 10 days when on holidays). Did that morning and night until I hooked the battery charger to it for the weekend. If your commute has a lot of short trips, and engine start/stops, the discharging gets compounded. With my 340, that's when it started doing the "dreaded long crank". Once the battery was fully charged, it was fine.

Other things that can cause issues is it struggling to sync the motor spinning over. You should get a code for that though.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

With such low revs when driving, charging is quite restricted on all vehicles. My commute is 17 minutes on the highway everyday. I left home in my 340, drove to work and it puked the "battery discharged, start your engine" warning (we had left the car for 10 days when on holidays). Did that morning and night until I hooked the battery charger to it for the weekend. If your commute has a lot of short trips, and engine start/stops, the discharging gets compounded. With my 340, that's when it started doing the "dreaded long crank". Once the battery was fully charged, it was fine.

Other things that can cause issues is it struggling to sync the motor spinning over. You should get a code for that though.
Sounds like an alternator issue or one that's undersized. My commute is 12 miles round trip and my batteries, yes there are 2 (in my current car) have 0 issues staying charged
Old 02-24-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

All vehicles are the same. If you deplete it too far, you need to take a pretty decent drive to bring it up to capacity. At idle/low RPM the alternators just don't put out the power.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All vehicles are the same. If you deplete it too far, you need to take a pretty decent drive to bring it up to capacity. At idle/low RPM the alternators just don't put out the power.
Highway driving usually means 2k rpm cruising, I drive 6 miles of mostly city style streets in a lot of waiting at lights idling and still don't have the issue
Old 02-24-2019, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Highway driving usually means 2k rpm cruising, I drive 6 miles of mostly city style streets in a lot of waiting at lights idling and still don't have the issue
Both the SQ5 and Q5 at 70 mph turn a bit over 1700 rpm in top gear.

Quick Reply: Long Crank (hey now...)???