Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Lost Map on Virtual Cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lost Map on Virtual Cockpit

I have a 2018 Q5. While my Google map shows up fine on the central dashboard screen, I am only getting the compass on my virtual cockpit, where the map should appear. I upgraded the maps a few weeks ago, when the MMI software gave me the option to do so. Could that have something to do with it? Any idea on how to get the map (either Google or regular) to reappear on the last tab of the virtual cockpit screen? Any settings I should check?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you use CarPlay or Android Auto? If so it blocks access to MMI maps and it causes VC to show compass only...
Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mirekmal
Do you use CarPlay or Android Auto? If so it blocks access to MMI maps and it causes VC to show compass only...
Correct answer....you must have car play activated
Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I should have just Googled before I posted. Didn't realize using Waze or Google Maps kills MMI map on the VC. Wonder why Audi won't let us have both maps at the same time, unless it just a software thing? Thanks for the feedback though!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WeHoGuy
Yes, I should have just Googled before I posted. Didn't realize using Waze or Google Maps kills MMI map on the VC. Wonder why Audi won't let us have both maps at the same time, unless it just a software thing? Thanks for the feedback though!
Whenever I have CarPlay running I change the virtual dashboard to the audio screen as the compass is annoying. Surely they could have put something else instead of a big ole' useless compass.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When I use waze on android auto the vc displays a compass.

To work around this I go to nav, select a location and let it start, then cancel the trip. This keeps the car's map displayed on the VC (but not the nav app selected on android auto).
Old 01-06-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW I use the MMI nav with Waze (non-nav mode) in the background. I really only need to hear alerts, and the MMI nav is fine for navigation. It even works while listening to Media.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Cool - will try this. You’d think as sophisticated as these systems are, we wouldn’t Have to have a work around. The compass is stupid when you have direction on the rear view mirror.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm new here and have only had my 2019 Q5 for 3 weeks. With that said I have the satellite view of the map on my VC while listing to Spotify with Apple CarPlay. I'm not navigating with the VC map but it is visible and updates my movement while I drive. Is this scenario correct?
Old 08-13-2021, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi guys, has anyone come across this problem before? I did a map update but not sure if that is what caused it or not.

Quick Reply: Lost Map on Virtual Cockpit