Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Love the Q5 but....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo607

with all this complaining, you should of known all this before purchasing your car.
LOL that was my thoughts. Maybe he bought it off Amazon, site unseen? Most of that would get hammered out in the test drive.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
LOL that was my thoughts. Maybe he bought it off Amazon, site unseen? Most of that would get hammered out in the test drive.
Well, to be fair, a car like the Q5 can hardly be figured out in one or two test drives. Heck, I’m hoping for a few months of ownership. Wish we had a local user group.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaRillist
We have owned a Blue Q5 Prestige for about 3 weeks now. It is primarily for my wife coming from a Mercedes GL450, but I drive it when she lets me. Love the ride quality, low road noise, and the B&O stereo. The technology is amazing and the vehicle itself is truly a thing of beauty. My wife fell in love with it, but we have noticed some design choices that we have a hard time believing on a car that competes with BMW and Mercedes.

--
  1. Lane assist is not very good. Feels like bumper bowling. It seems to disengage if it doesn't detect you guiding it through the steering wheel. My DD is a 2018 Honda Accord, and the difference is night and day. I feel that the Lane Assist on the Honda actually does help to reduce fatigue on long drives.
  2. Audi Connect is mystery to me. Audi wants me to pay $500 for 18 months for stuff that you can get on any cell phone? Oh, and for a Google Maps overlay? This is more than Mercedes charges for Mbrace with far less features. Signing up for Audi Connect was an adventure to say the least. I really don't know what Audi is thinking by pricing this so high for so little value. The only truly functional Audi Connect item for us is the remote unlock (we found out early on that you can lock the key in the car with the second key). Wont be paying $499 for the privilege though.
  3. No remote start? Is this a 2018 model or 1998? Everyone has this as at least an option. Even my Honda has it. Super cool on cold or hot days to be able to remotely start the car from the comfort of my office
  4. No touchscreen.
  5. Manual Steering wheel adjustment. Makes it tough for multiple drivers
  6. Quirky MMI software. Wife has trouble with radio randomly shutting down when iphone is connected
  7. Just a cell phone on the passenger seat triggers the passenger seatbelt warning.
  8. No brake hold?!?
  9. I'll stop here as I don't want to seem bitter.
Probably duplicating from others but:
1) this feature is so-so in a lot of inclement weather. It's only an aid. I've only seen a Tesla do better.
2) you should get Audi-Connect for 6 months free... otherwise, I don't think it's worth it (or needed).
3) I don't think remote start is always safe. True, I can see it if you car is outside in a really cold winter... to warm it up. But when/where else? In many places, letting your care warm up unattended in illegal!
4) I think touch-screens are generally a nuisance and can create problems. I'm glad to get rid of the prior one I had (in a Lexus).
5) the manual steering is probably a better way to go... but then my wife doesn't drive the car
6) don't know what you mean about the MMI. Never had a problem except when I inadvertently turned off blue-tooth on my phone.
7) never heard or experienced that. I'd ask your dealer.
8) there IS a brake-hold.

Last edited by Boink; 02-27-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Badger56

Well, to be fair, a car like the Q5 can hardly be figured out in one or two test drives. Heck, I’m hoping for a few months of ownership. Wish we had a local user group.
Not figured out, but if you own a vehicle that has similar features like the OP stated, you'd try it to compare them to see how they stacked up on the test drive. No-touchscreen is pretty evident in the showroom though.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remote start would be great. If you live in Florida, your car can be 135 degrees inside when sitting in the sun. You have to get in the oven to turn it on and then drive off sweating or wait until the car cools off. Many other cars have this feature of remote start.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheldon
Remote start would be great. If you live in Florida, your car can be 135 degrees inside when sitting in the sun. You have to get in the oven to turn it on and then drive off sweating or wait until the car cools off. Many other cars have this feature of remote start.
Did I say oven? I mean to say Audi.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheldon
Did I say oven? I mean to say Audi.
Well I currentyl live in Texas and grew up in Arizona. Car interiors would routinely get to 165F easily so 135F isn't too bad. Get some ceramic tint and a good sunshade and those temperatures will drop substantially. Remote starting is pointless not because I care about idling but due to how long it takes to cool down while idling. My current car, is not an Audi and let's me start the A/C workout turning the car on for a period of time.

Auto hold is available in Europe but not the US for some reason. You can retrofit the OEM part as another user did on here. My current car has the feature and I agree since it's great.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree that remote start is pointless. I don't much care about cool down. But I find it invaluable in winter here for a vehicle parked outside...warm up, brings up the HVAC, seat heaters, windshield and mirrors de-ice. This as standard equipment on a 2008 Chevy truck.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those saying that the lack of a touchscreen is a feature are in denial. The only reason the Q5 doesn't have BOTH a touch screen and the MMI Control Panel is for Audi to keep costs down (and profits up). A touch screen panel would cost a couple bucks more per unit, and they would have to retool the software to support it. They will put that off for a few more years, then eventually put it in. Thats how this stuff works.

What it could have been: "Oh, you don't like fingerprint smears on the touchscreen?! Thats fine! We still have the MMI control panel you can use instead. But if you want to use it like a touch screen, you can do that too."
Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltxi
I disagree that remote start is pointless. I don't much care about cool down. But I find it invaluable in winter here for a vehicle parked outside...warm up, brings up the HVAC, seat heaters, windshield and mirrors de-ice. This as standard equipment on a 2008 Chevy truck.
Clearly, you didn't read the reasons why Audi doesn't offer it. I lived on the east coast for years, it's not hard to garage your vehicle...

Quick Reply: Love the Q5 but....