Low dust brake pads for 2018 SQ5 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Audi Q5 > Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page > Low dust brake pads for 2018 SQ5
Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Low dust brake pads for 2018 SQ5

Old 04-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Low dust brake pads for 2018 SQ5

Anyone know of which brake pads will fit a 2018 SQ5 that are rated for low brake dust? I have found a few ceramic ones, I am just not sure if they fit. The brake dust on the stock pads is way too much for my liking. My SQ5 has the sport package if that matters. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I’m interested also....less dust and maybe not quite so grabby at low speeds. On the other hand, the brakes are the most effective of any Vehicle I’ve owned. Brakes are used when cornering on the inside wheels.
I would like to make a change around the 30M replacement time. Audi must get some complaints so it may be that they will come up with an improved replacement.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So you want to change over the brand new brake pads, the ones specifically designed, tested and turned for your unique vehicle, for an general after market brand because it makes your wheels look dirty?
Wow
Old 04-14-2018, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ron.S View Post
Iím interested also....less dust and maybe not quite so grabby at low speeds. On the other hand, the brakes are the most effective of any Vehicle Iíve owned. Brakes are used when cornering on the inside wheels.
I would like to make a change around the 30M replacement time. Audi must get some complaints so it may be that they will come up with an improved replacement.
Im thinking of doing it around the first oil change, but trying to see what options are out there. As you say maybe by then there will be an option from Audi too.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Weird, my opinion is the OEM pads on the SQ5 have really low dust (which comes with the grabby feel and extra engagement noise)......
Old 04-14-2018, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Weird, my opinion is the OEM pads on the SQ5 have really low dust (which comes with the grabby feel and extra engagement noise)......
Maybe they get better with time. I have had mine for 3 weeks, 800 miles, and the brake dust is pretty bad.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I agree with Wires, I've noticed little to no brake dust collecting on the wheels of my SQ5.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

They don’t get better with time, my SQ5 is 10 months old and has over 12M miles. During the first 30 days it became an issue so did the “bed the brakes” procedure.
Every wash I have to wipe off the brake dust by hand-it doesn’t come off with a normal wash job. It’s not as apparent on the factory wheels but looks bad on machined and chrome wheels-I have both. It must be a known issue. When I filled out my Audi survey there was a line item under issues for excessive brake dust!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe depends on when your vehicle was built?

If you are looking for low dust variants, I've used EBC Red pads on my BMW to address excessive dust issues. At the end of the day, there is a sacrifice on dust vs repeatable hot braking performance. Once the pads get hot, you start getting "brake fade" with less braking ability. Having a layer of pad wear off (aka the dust), you alleviate some of those issues and get more consistent braking performance.

That's why performance cars consume a set of pads during a couple days at the track with insane amounts of dust. Long story short, it's a trade-off of better safety vs cosmetic issues. I'm easy on my pads, so I personally prefer less dust since wiping out nice wheels is a PITA.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I replaced the grabby, dusty stock brake pads on my wife's '12 Q5 with a set of Akebono ceramic pads about 10K miles ago.
I'm exceptionally pleased with these pads - zero noise, very linear braking (no abrupt grabbing like the OEM pads), braking feels just as powerful, and they've reduced brake dust by about 70%.
Highly recommended!

Last edited by kingsalami; 04-15-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: