Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mileage

Curious what mileage others here are getting with their SQ5s. The rated mileage is 19/24 mpg, but I'm lucky if I get 18 mpg on a typical trip to the office (sometimes much less). I'm not driving it hard, though much of the distance is less than 45 mph with lots of traffic and lights. I did get a little over 24 mpg on a trip we took over the weekend that was almost entirely highway miles. Is this typical?

Currently I have just under 800 miles on the odometer.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I get pretty decent highway mileage, but city is horrible. Probably ~15 mpg.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive it like I stole it... So i'm lucky to see 17mpg.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I've seen as high as 28 reported by the trip computer at around 60mph with cruise control
Old 06-15-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawski
I've seen as high as 28 reported by the trip computer at around 60mph with cruise control
Yeah, I did a recent refill recently, followed by a lot of highway driving, some with ACC, and I was up in the 26-27 mpg range. I was pretty pleased with that, and rarely achieved such mpg's in my previous Lexus GS 350. But for my regular, routine city/local driving, I seem to hover in the 18 mpg range. I can't expect miracles, with stop and go driving, and driving with a little pep.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just spent the last 6 years driving a variety of C63 AMGs. I think the city mileage is awesome! LOL. I am getting about 50% more miles to the same size tank.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a trend. normally I drive in sport mode to disable the auto start/stop but today I drove in standard drive mode with auto start/stop disabled. I got 21 mpg on my way to the office. Clearly there's a big difference in mileage between drive and sport mode even when driven the same way. I guess I'm going to have to get an OBDeleven, disable start/stop, and use drive mode more often. In my IS350 I got nearly the same mileage in sport mode and drive mode so long as I wasn't driving too aggressively.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

I'm averaging 27 mpg (USA) since I took possession with 2600 miles. I drive approx 85% on highway (over 45 mph) with less than 10 stops in my commute.

To work I average over 30mph (loss in altitude of 500 feet - going from 2600' to 2100') and I average about 26 mpg on the way back.

I'm using top tier octane 92 - ethanol free

EDIT - oh and I have start / stop disabled.

I'm sure I am atypical on this forum - most of the time I drive very conservatively - and I coast when I can coming to stop signs as I notice a great increase in mpg. I can do this as I rarely have anyone behind me.

On the roads I drive, there are only a few places where I can really enjoy the power and be safe. I notice when I step on it to pass or for fun, the mpg goes WAY down. Driving with the consumption tab open in the VC can really create a Jeckle and Hyde personality. I am always itching to floor it, but mostly keeping the impulse under wraps - getting the reward of better mileage. When I choose to drive it in a sporty way, it's a treat. Many of you would probably say the power of this car is wasted on me - which is likely true 99% of the time. But I take great pleasure in knowing I always have that power available.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
I'm averaging 27 mpg (USA) since I took possession with 2600 miles. I drive approx 85% on highway (over 45 mph) with less than 10 stops in my commute.

To work I average over 30mph (loss in altitude of 500 feet - going from 2600' to 2100') and I average about 26 mpg on the way back.

I'm using top tier octane 92 - ethanol free

EDIT - oh and I have start / stop disabled.

I'm sure I am atypical on this forum - most of the time I drive very conservatively - and I coast when I can coming to stop signs as I notice a great increase in mpg. I can do this as I rarely have anyone behind me.

On the roads I drive, there are only a few places where I can really enjoy the power and be safe. I notice when I step on it to pass or for fun, the mpg goes WAY down. Driving with the consumption tab open in the VC can really create a Jeckle and Hyde personality. I am always itching to floor it, but mostly keeping the impulse under wraps - getting the reward of better mileage. When I choose to drive it in a sporty way, it's a treat. Many of you would probably say the power of this car is wasted on me - which is likely true 99% of the time. But I take great pleasure in knowing I always have that power available.
hmm. I thought idaho would be better for traffic. I would never be able to use the power in Seattle anyways. ha ha ha. Glad I have ordered Q5 as a city commuter car. I really liked the power in SQ5 though.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by NeonMidnight
I did get a little over 24 mpg on a trip we took over the weekend that was almost entirely highway miles. Is this typical?

Currently I have just under 800 miles on the odometer.
Yes that is typical, especially in the first 800 miles. I was getting in the 25mpg range for the first 1000 miles. It will continue to get better for a bit. My mpg is still inching higher at 2600 miles.

Quick Reply: Mileage