AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   Minimizing Parked Vehicle Height - Air Suspension (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/minimizing-parked-vehicle-height-air-suspension-2958685/)

StickyAK 09-12-2018 02:36 PM

Minimizing Parked Vehicle Height - Air Suspension

I'm scheduled to pick up a 2018 SQ5 this Friday in Seattle. After driving it around for a few days in the NW - I will ship it to Alaska via barge.
There is a price change ($500) in the shipping cost when the height exceeds 66". The Audi site says both the Q5 and SQ5 heights are 65.3". The problem is - that Audi isn't measuring the height - some longshoreman is. The vehicle has air suspension. So my question is: If I deliver the vehicle to the dock in dynamic mode (which I understand - maybe falsely - lowers the car to it's lowest height) will it stay in dynamic mode after it's shut off and started up and driven a few times during loading and unloading and transport?
How can I maximize the chance that it will be at it's lowest height when they measure it?
Thanks

KaDeTime 09-12-2018 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by StickyAK (Post 25209655)
I'm scheduled to pick up a 2018 SQ5 this Friday in Seattle. After driving it around for a few days in the NW - I will ship it to Alaska via barge.
There is a price change ($500) in the shipping cost when the height exceeds 66". The Audi site says both the Q5 and SQ5 heights are 65.3". The problem is - that Audi isn't measuring the height - some longshoreman is. The vehicle has air suspension. So my question is: If I deliver the vehicle to the dock in dynamic mode (which I understand - maybe falsely - lowers the car to it's lowest height) will it stay in dynamic mode after it's shut off and started up and driven a few times during loading and unloading and transport?
How can I maximize the chance that it will be at it's lowest height when they measure it?
Thanks

install lowering links 200$

if i understand the car setting correct i would set it to dynamic then turn on the car tire change setting to make sure the car wont change try to correct car level no matter the situation.

StickyAK 09-12-2018 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by KaDeTime (Post 25209664)
install lowering links 200$

if i understand the car setting correct i would set it to dynamic then turn on the car tire change setting to make sure the car wont change try to correct car level no matter the situation.

Lowering links would do it - no time or shop space in Seattle...
I'd be surprised if the car tire change mode didn't shut off as soon as you put the car in drive.
So...
Does dynamic mode lower the car at all speeds or just above a certain speed or not at all?
And... does the dynamic setting stick after shutdown and startup (seems like I've been reading different things about whether or not this setting sticks - seems like it should)?

2018_SQ5 09-12-2018 04:10 PM

When powered off and in park the air suspension lowers to it's lowest setting (same as dynamic) keep keep the pressure in the air bags at a minimum.

KaDeTime 09-12-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5 (Post 25209705)
When powered off and in park the air suspension lowers to it's lowest setting (same as dynamic) keep keep the pressure in the air bags at a minimum.

not true, it stays in the setting its in.... imagine parking front bumper over a cementstoppers in all-road or off-road to come back to a car with damaged front bumper.

KaDeTime 09-12-2018 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by StickyAK (Post 25209704)
Lowering links would do it - no time or shop space in Seattle...
I'd be surprised if the car tire change mode didn't shut off as soon as you put the car in drive.
So...
Does dynamic mode lower the car at all speeds or just above a certain speed or not at all?
And... does the dynamic setting stick after shutdown and startup (seems like I've been reading different things about whether or not this setting sticks - seems like it should)?

dynamic is not speed specific as it will keep the lowest setting. all other settings going over 75/80mph will place the car in dynamic high lv automatically.

any chosen setting will stay after shutdown and start up as long as you don't change it.

I understand the confusion you need to get to know some members to know if they know what they are talking about and drive they car or not.

with items like this in the end i will also try to read the manual and call a dealer just to sleep good at night :)

StickyAK 09-12-2018 06:03 PM

Thanks all - good information - the car is fairly complex and it will take some time to learn how things actually work. While I appreciate that Audi changes things to improve the function of the vehicle, it doesn't help in getting consistent information.

I rented a 2017 MB GLS450 a couple of years ago and I was driving to a trailhead in off-road mode and it DID lower down after I shut off the vehicle and got out AND it did almost set down on a parking bumper. I was more careful about where I parked after that. We'll see what the delivered SQ5 does.

KaDeTime 09-12-2018 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by StickyAK (Post 25209743)
Thanks all - good information - the car is fairly complex and it will take some time to learn how things actually work. While I appreciate that Audi changes things to improve the function of the vehicle, it doesn't help in getting consistent information.

I rented a 2017 MB GLS450 a couple of years ago and I was driving to a trailhead in off-road mode and it DID lower down after I shut off the vehicle and got out AND it did almost set down on a parking bumper. I was more careful about where I parked after that. We'll see what the delivered SQ5 does.

some cars hav easy entrance option to all for easy entrance when parked it’s selectable. Audi SQ5 those not.

spindlewood 09-12-2018 06:56 PM

How about reducing psi by 5 lbs front and rear? Might gain you just enough wiggle room without any danger to your tires.

StickyAK 09-12-2018 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by spindlewood (Post 25209766)
How about reducing psi by 5 lbs front and rear? Might gain you just enough wiggle room without any danger to your tires.

I considered this but with the 21" rims I don't think there's enough spare sidewall on the tires to make a difference without risking rim damage from the vehicle mounting and dismounting loading ramps - I'd rather risk paying the additional shipping cost vs the potential rim damage cost.