Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

MMI ip - can't remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusDefector
Ths problem is the can-bus manufacturers have to figure the schematics for your specific model, the Q5. The viper remote starter is added on after the can-bus is programmed for the specific model. Vw/ Audi have highly encrypted immobilizer chips in their keyfob. If they cannot copy the encrypted immobilizer with their copy system, chances are you will loose a key fob.. Fortin is the one I use. RF extenders can be added to increase the range over 1000 feet
Are you saying that you have the Fortin remote start in your Q5? Can you tell me about the setup?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Martin Reuben
Are you saying that you have the Fortin remote start in your Q5? Can you tell me about the setup?

Thanks!
No, I do not have a remote start in the 2018 Audi Q5 for several reasons... Fortin has not released the schematics for this year/ model and I would wait until Fortin works out a final solution.. Also it is my wife’s car and she does not want or need a remote since it is always garaged. I normally do not like to install remotes in cars under warranty... but I did install Fortin remotes in my Lexus hybrid and my VW 1.8T.

Both have Evo-All low current bypass and interface module with Fortin two way RF extender. The Lexus shuts down when I open the door and the VW stays running after I open the door. It is set up to shut down when I press the brake or continues when I insert the key into the ignition and turn it on.

For an example of the schematics, go to Fortin.ca and put in 2018 Audi Q3 push-to start, under EvoAll, select Stand alone, key required. This should bring up the schematics. You can now see why they charge $$$ for installation. If it seems overwhelming, it can be. Experience is your greatest weapon against failure. Remember EvoAll is low current so diodes may be used in the installation.

Last edited by LexusDefector; 10-29-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:17 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates on installing remote start (especially with the OEM key)? Can't this be done with coding via a Ross-Tech or OBDeleven?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TYJ
Any updates on installing remote start (especially with the OEM key)? Can't this be done with coding via a Ross-Tech or OBDeleven?
I have the viper smart start installed on my 2018 SQ5. I had to give up an extra key fob so the chip can be used to start the vehicle . I purchased my car used and it only came with 2 key fobs. I had an extra one made for about $250 at the dealer, key fob only no cut physical key. Since my car was used I'm not sure if Audi is still selling cars with the plastic emergency key with the chip in them, if so that will work too, I used that on my B8 S4 and my wife used it on her Q5
The system works flawlessly. I can start my vehicle from the app and the using the factory key fob.
Total cost of the installation including the key was probably somewhere around $600 but totally worth it on the says sub zero days.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by panchov1127
I have the viper smart start installed on my 2018 SQ5. I had to give up an extra key fob so the chip can be used to start the vehicle . I purchased my car used and it only came with 2 key fobs. I had an extra one made for about $250 at the dealer, key fob only no cut physical key. Since my car was used I'm not sure if Audi is still selling cars with the plastic emergency key with the chip in them, if so that will work too, I used that on my B8 S4 and my wife used it on her Q5
The system works flawlessly. I can start my vehicle from the app and the using the factory key fob.
Total cost of the installation including the key was probably somewhere around $600 but totally worth it on the says sub zero days.
which app do you use to start the car?
Old 12-03-2019, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by atc98092
Not certain if the Audi works the same as VW for remote starting, but with a VW when the engine is started remotely, it will shut off as soon as the door is opened. You then must restart the engine normally before you can drive off. I would imagine this is done to be in compliance with laws about unattended vehicles with the engine running.
Audi's do not have remote start at all, unless you take it somewhere and have it installed aftermarket. Our cars are built in Germany, so they fall under German/European emissions laws which are very strict about cars idling without a driver present. VWs are built all over, many in the US, so they get to have factory installed remote start. The rich cousin gets the short end of the stick in this situation lol.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

our cars are built in mexico just to clarify.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

If I lived up north, I would not have gotten this car. But I am down south now, so no big issue for me. I hate the cold and walking out to a cold car when it is 0 degrees is something I just won't do anymore.
It seems to be a german thing.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
If I lived up north, I would not have gotten this car. But I am down south now, so no big issue for me. I hate the cold and walking out to a cold car when it is 0 degrees is something I just won't do anymore.
It seems to be a german thing.
No, it is not a "german thing", many countries ban remote starting / idling the car etc etc.

Audi provide, on most models, an auxiliary (electric, not engine) heating system in cold climate countries, which can be remote started via the phone app or via an MMI program timer. Not available on North American cars, and it would be a $1500+ or so option if it was.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
No, it is not a "german thing", many countries ban remote starting / idling the car etc etc.

Audi provide, on most models, an auxiliary (electric, not engine) heating system in cold climate countries, which can be remote started via the phone app or via an MMI program timer. Not available on North American cars, and it would be a $1500+ or so option if it was.
OK, it is a German Car thing.

Quick Reply: MMI ip - can't remote start?