Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

This MMI may be the end of Audi and I

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Ron. I did record the last event so the tracking has begun. Glad to hear it worked out with your GM.
Attached Files
Old 06-18-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by graytag
Thanks, Ron. I did record the last event so the tracking has begun. Glad to hear it worked out with your GM.
For leverage you might check your States Lemon Law! Some like California are stronger than others. At some point you might also want to see if Audi has an agreement with BBB Auto Line on arbitration. Here’s a link describing how it works (not the local BBB office).
https://www.bbb.org/autoline/bbb-aut...to-line-works/

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I can tell you we are under constant pressure to ship, so we all know that the initial version of a product is never really ready. It's shipped when it's good enough and we all know that we have to continue iterating on it while it's already being sold. There are enough folks who can't wait and have to buy something the moment it comes out, so there is plenty of real world testing and feedback coming in to improve the product. Those in the know who are willing to let the early adopters struggle and wait for the product to mature a bit, generally end up with a better experience.

This is not unique to cars. The version 1 of any product or a major new version is generally to be avoided and wait for a few revisions to come out before buying it if you can wait. As for cars, I personally tend to wait for the mid-cycle refresh. That's when most of the bugs are worked out, and feedback from journalists etc. about the car have been incorporated. W/o exception for all the cars I've bought, the facelift was the better and more thought out product than the initial release. I used to be an early adopter for pretty much everything, but as I have aged and acquired experience, I've become willing to wait for things to mature before buying them if it's a product that I'm gonna rely on.
Also an engineer, and I agree with this . I think that the key difference is the release timing, and the policy of holding back software releases unless you say the magic words. I also accept that software has bugs, and early software more so, but I've also become accustomed to being able to check for and receive updates regularly. Tesla seems to have broken away from the pack when it comes to delivering software updates in a fast and user-friendly fashion, and the other automakers really need to catch up. As I mentioned in another thread, the top-down camera issue has been known to Audi for almost a year, affects a premium feature that customers paid extra for, and is really annoying and in-your-face every day. We're still waiting for an update, while Audi keeps saying "yeah, we know about it, but have no timeline to resolve". In a culture of three-year leases, they're going to have to step up their game.

I understand that car software necessarily demands a more stringent testing regimen than mobile phones (my industry) and involves more players, but that also makes the more universal and glaring issues stick out. I have a lengthening routine when I start my car to fix all of the things that don't start up properly or forget their settings, and I'm looking forward to having some of those addressed shortly in the next release. I just wish that they would dribble out releases periodically rather than focusing on 1-2 "big bang" releases before going EOL.