Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5 engine turned off by itself when I stopped on my drive way

Old 10-26-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 engine turned off by itself when I stopped on my drive way

Something odd just happened to my 2018 Q5 tonight. I picked up my wife and we returned home. I backed up and stopped on the drive way. I pressed P mode and pulled up the parking brake, which is something I always do when I'm going to stop for a while. Then I let my wife get off the car. She opened and closed the passenger door and the rear door to unload her stuff. After she's done, I was going to back up into my garage. I put the drive to R mode and release the parking brake. To my surprise, the car didn't go backwards. On the contrary, because of the slope of the drive way, the car went forward into the street. My first response was to step on the brake, but the pedal was so hard that I couldn't even step it down, in the mean time I heard unpleasant metal friction noise. I guess we all know what caused the noise: I put it to R mode but the car is going the other way, so the gears were fighting against with each other. I had to use parking brake (hand brake) to stop the car. It was not until then did I noticed the message on the instrument cluster: "Start/stop system: deactivated. Please start engine manually". After I pressed the start button twice to restart the car, everything went back to normal.

Obviously, my Q5 turned off the engine by itself. But I don't understand why it did that. Just because my wife opened and closed two doors?