Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

My "pet" SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "pet" SQ5

To one 2018 SQ5, add:
  1. Adaptive air suspension ("rear lowering" feature was an added plus)
  2. https://www.cargoliner.com/collectio...mate-pet-liner
  3. http://www.gen7pets.com/component/vi...etail?Itemid=0
  4. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M724OX6 www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M724OX6
The Cargoliner in Light Grey matched my Rotor Grey interior.

I also tried the
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074B76267 www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074B76267
pet ramp, but the one above a) better matched the front-rear and left-right curvature of the SQ5 entry (aluminum scuff strip & rubber gasket), b) stowed to my preferences (bifold, only 3" thick vs 8"), and c) the 16" width was plenty for my dogs. Biggest decider was "a)", since the front lip on the other model wouldn't stay put, while my ramp's front lip countours to match and doesn't slide left/right. The other ramp worked nice on the flat back end of a Suburban.

"If wishes were horses" I'd've asked Audi to eliminate the 3 or 4" step-down into the luggage compartment, but I love all of the rest of the car too much to quibble over that.

Thanks to havery and all you other idea-posters here!

Old 10-30-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job on the rear seat and cargo cover! Does the net actually work? Won't the dogs just hop over it if they want? Do you transport the ramp or is that just for home?

Of course when I saw the two beautiful pooches in the last photo I started hyperventilating thinking about all that white fur on grey seats and carpets. :-)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm betting the dogs will be discouraged by how little open height remains above the net (compared to their height), and won't feel comfortable launching themselves over it.

The plan is for the ramp to travel to wherever I'm taking the dogs (one of the dogs is 13 yo, and I don't want her jumping out & down). Easy to bring with, the ramp fits nicely flat across the rear of the cargo space, bungee'd between the rear two d-rings. I'd probably take the ramp out if the car was going on a long non-dog trip, but leave it in for non-dog trips around town.

Naw, their white fur doesn't go "on" the carpets, it weaves itself deep into carpets.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@Thad49, where do you store the ramp after you've got the pups in the back? Do you ever need the 2nd row seats for storage/gear and put your dogs in the back cargo area?

I've got a German shepherd and an Australian cattle mix, they can just about fit in the back cargo area without complaint.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

@Garrett: For shorter trips, the ramp crossways flat at the rear doesn't seem to bother them. For longer trips, the ramp could go 16" tall and 3' long, along either driver or passenger side of the car (have to figure out the top bungee atch point), if all or half of the second seat is laid down.

I haven't tried them with the second seat upright, but thought it would be tight (ramp could then go across the seatbacks). If we want to take lots of people or gear plus dogs, back into the Suburban.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ramp would fit nicely in a Thule roof box.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TYJ
The ramp would fit nicely in a Thule roof box.
Good reminder -- I've got an old roof box stored in the garage that would help if I ever wanted to use the Audi for a lotsa-stuff trip.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Thad49
Good reminder -- I've got an old roof box stored in the garage that would help if I ever wanted to use the Audi for a lotsa-stuff trip.

I am beyond thrilled that you finally got your "pet" sq5!!!! I saw my first red sq5 at the dealership yesterday while our car was getting dropped off for it's quartz coating appointment. That is a truly beautiful color in person!

How do you like your liner? It really does seem to cut down the flying fur in my opinion, although some does fly into the passenger area. Those dogs are beauties!!!!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by havery
I am beyond thrilled that you finally got your "pet" sq5!!!! I saw my first red sq5 at the dealership yesterday while our car was getting dropped off for it's quartz coating appointment. That is a truly beautiful color in person!

How do you like your liner? It really does seem to cut down the flying fur in my opinion, although some does fly into the passenger area. Those dogs are beauties!!!!
Love the liner: Hamilton does well-crafted work, and thanks for telling me about them. The vinyl will be a LOT easier to keep clean than black carpet!

Now if only some engineer would design a flow-thru air system that wafts all the loose dog-hair out the back window.

Yep, I'm happy with the red as a change from colors I'd had before. Glad you got your Audi in time for the eclipse trip -- show us some pix of the post-quartz look!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are the side pieces attached to the bottom piece or is it a single component? Wondering if stuff can fall through and dirty up the carpet.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: My "pet" SQ5