Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Duration Between Production Complete and Dealer Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duration Between Production Complete and Dealer Delivery

I ordered a 2018 SQ5. I received an email from 'Your New Audi' indicating production is complete, and car is on the way to European port for shipment to the US.

My dealer tells me that the duration between 'production complete' and 'dealer delivery' is 2-6 weeks. What is the experience of this group?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In the case of your SQ5, it is built in Mexico so it won't take that long to travel to wherever you are located compared to cars coming from Europe.

My best guess is around 2 weeks for delivery and PDI.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by prismbiznc
I ordered a 2018 SQ5. I received an email from 'Your New Audi' indicating production is complete, and car is on the way to European port for shipment to the US.

My dealer tells me that the duration between 'production complete' and 'dealer delivery' is 2-6 weeks. What is the experience of this group?
Also depends on where you are. As platt says, it's coming from Mexico - not Europe as the email erroneously says (can't figure out why they don't fix that). If you're on the east coast of the US, it goes from the factory to Vera Cruz & then by boat to Davisville, RI. If you're in most of the central US, it goes by train to Houston & then on to your dealer. Cars destined for the western US go by train to (I believe) San Diego & then to dealers. If you're having any "port installed " accessories done, that can affect how long it takes to be loaded on a truck & head for the dealer.
Long story short - it's anybody's guess depending on which route it takes
Old 06-15-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It will depend on your location and timing. In the US they travel by rail to Houston or San Diego, East Coast by boat. At Port they will add any Port installed accessories. Then by truck to dealer. Few will see two week's IMO. You would have to hit everything perfect and no customs delay as well as be close to Port. My SQ has been 3 weeks tomorrow and I'm not expecting it for at least another week, Audi says longer. I have tow hitch install that might hold up a few days. Can let you know more when it arrives.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. Thanks. I'm on the east coast and AM having options installed (trailer hitch). I've set me expectations for 6 weeks so that hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron.S
It will depend on your location and timing. In the US they travel by rail to Houston or San Diego, East Coast by boat. At Port they will add any Port installed accessories. Then by truck to dealer. Few will see two week's IMO. You would have to hit everything perfect and no customs delay as well as be close to Port. My SQ has been 3 weeks tomorrow and I'm not expecting it for at least another week, Audi says longer. I have tow hitch install that might hold up a few days. Can let you know more when it arrives.
My dealer said that all Q5s are being shipped (I live in Houston) because of vandalism/theft concerns in overland crossings.

Wouldnt be the first time my dealer hasnt know what they were talking bout though...
Old 06-15-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kanack49
My dealer said that all Q5s are being shipped (I live in Houston) because of vandalism/theft concerns in overland crossings.

Wouldnt be the first time my dealer hasnt know what they were talking bout though...
I was taking my information from an online article I found:

Beyond that, however, exports will move in a mixed model of rail and sea. Vehicles will move by rail and truck to the port of Veracruz on the east coast, where they will be shipped to the North American east coast, South America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Turkey; vehicles will move by rail to the port of Lázaro Cárdenas on the Pacific coast, where units will be shipped to Asia. A large share will also move northbound on pure rail flows, moving to Houston, Texas via the border crossing at Laredo, and by rail to San Diego, California via the El Paso crossing.

In fairness, it's a few months old & things do change. It's perfectly plausible that they could ship from the plant to Vera Cruz & up to Houston by boat. My car shows assigned port as Houston & from there it gets to Chicago by truck ( just like my Q7 & A4 did).
Be interesting if any of the dealers who monitor the forum have the straight story.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It could take as long as 3 months my dealer here in the southern tip of Africa has told me. My SQ5 was built two weeks ago and the dealer only expects it in September! According to the dealer database, the vehicle first goes to Europe (why would that be?) and from there it is shipped to South Africa if my understanding of the codes is correct:

"Transport Information
Location Details
MEX66020 L VERACRUZ RELEASED FOR SHIPMENT
Destination Details
ZAFRC K SUEDAFRIKA; FBU EX EUROPA"
Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Resurrection

Resurrecting this thread. I learned today that my vehicle arrived at some rail port near Houston, TX yesterday. Yeah!

Also it will get loaded onto another rail to be sent northward to get closer to Columbus, OH. Finally a truck ride to the dealership.

I no longer have any faith in those ridiculous ETA dates. My SA says it will be another 1-2 weeks. I don’t have any port installed items unless you count the license plate holder. Anyways that time range seems a bit broad. Im posting to see if others in a similar scenario can share how long it took them once they got a concrete Domestic Port Arrived date?

Realistically I am anticipating my vehicle to show up at the dealership this time next week. So next Thursday.