Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Newbe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbe Questions

Hello all, today my wife picked up a 2018 Q5 and I have a few questions.This is a premium trim so I think its pretty base options.
1: On the MMI I have no sat radio options, according to a local Audi service center Satellite radio is optional, since I do not have navigation its probably not equipped. Does that sound right? Is there anyway to verify? This does have Carplay, so a standalone sat radio isn't super needed.
2: I see my car has an embedded cellular modem, the IMEI info is on the door. I assume this is part of Audi Connect, but I see nothing in the MMI that looks like I can access this functionality. When I spoke to the local franchise parts guy. he stated I will need to order a code, where do I put in this code if ordered? I love the idea of wifi in the car, but I wanna confirm I have the needed hardware before paying for the code.
3: Does the Q5 have a plastic oil pan and replaceable drain plug?
4: Looks like the "inspection overdue" notification must be reset via scan tool only, is that correct or can it be reset through the MMI?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I was able to contact Audi who advised my Q5 does not have Audi Connect. I know the hotspot exists in the car but I cannot tell if its T-Mobile or AT&T. Anyone know if its possible to active the hotspot through the carrier directly using the IMEI and not have the connect system?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by K5OUN
So I was able to contact Audi who advised my Q5 does not have Audi Connect. I know the hotspot exists in the car but I cannot tell if its T-Mobile or AT&T. Anyone know if its possible to active the hotspot through the carrier directly using the IMEI and not have the connect system?
Your car does not have Audi Connect????? Are you sure? I would double check that. I don't think that was an option it is built in, The subscription is an option.
And they use AT&T
Old 04-29-2019, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, pretty sure it does not have Audi connect. Spoke to a technology person at our local dealership who advised the At&T hotspot can be activated independently. I will try and report back the results. Best I can tell, all trims are hotspot equipped.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I stand corrected, the IMEI number that was on the door pillar is for a dealer installed device they tried to sell me a subscription too. I will remove that when I get a chance as it connects to the OBD port. If the car does not have Audi connect, the cellar modem inst installed.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by K5OUN
Yes, pretty sure it does not have Audi connect. Spoke to a technology person at our local dealership who advised the At&T hotspot can be activated independently. I will try and report back the results. Best I can tell, all trims are hotspot equipped.
My Iphone is on AT&T and I would love to know how to connect to the hotspot independently,
Old 04-29-2019, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brame1
My Iphone is on AT&T and I would love to know how to connect to the hotspot independently,
See my previous post, If you have audi connect that's just not activated that may be possible. If you can get the MMI to cough up the sim & iemi numbers, then At&t can just activate it. I am just not sure if the audi connect units make that info available.