Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Night Light Next to Shifter Column?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Light Next to Shifter Column?

Just drove my new-to-me 2018 Q5 at night for the first time. Is there supposed to be a light next to the shifter whereby one could see the P, N, and D? Because mine is dark as a dungeon and I have to look at the VC to ensure I知 in the right gear. Fuse? Burnt Bulb? Something missed on the 300 point Pre certification? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by woodstockaudi
Just drove my new-to-me 2018 Q5 at night for the first time. Is there supposed to be a light next to the shifter whereby one could see the P, N, and D? Because mine is dark as a dungeon and I have to look at the VC to ensure I知 in the right gear. Fuse? Burnt Bulb? Something missed on the 300 point Pre certification? Thanks!
Yup, it does. Was long as you have the ignition on, the indicator will light up, day or night, and the gear selected will be a bit brighter (see my photo). Also, the "park" position indicator lights up red. Dealer should be able to fix this easily.

(Tip) As a new SQ5 owner myself, I found looking at the VC for your gear position (D, P, R) as well as your drive mode ("D" or "Sport") much easier. The ;gear selector travel is frustratingly narrow and multi gated (left and right). If you slide it into the left side after you start up, then one pull backwards will give you "D" (for easy demeanor) and another pull backwards will yield "S" (for sportier sound, shifting, weighted steering). And if you are in "S", the auto start/stop feature is disabled (if you're not a fan of auto start/stop).

Have fun!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order. Unfortunately, the nearest one is over an hour away. Other than this, I’m loving the car.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by woodstockaudi
Thanks. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order. Unfortunately, the nearest one is over an hour away. Other than this, I知 loving the car.
2018? I'm assuming miles are low so just wait until the (complimentary) 10,000 service, which is oil change and tire rotation. By then, there might be a few other things that cropped up (mine did not have any). In the meanwhile, you might find the VC displays the gear selection clearly and legibly.

Some other new owner tips to find out: 1) Kind of neat how you can kill the ignition in any gear and the car automatically goes into park (you don't have to move the gear lever or worry about what position its in. 2) Check out Audi Connect (should be free for the 1st 6 months) and enjoy the google map on your VC. Also, read news, weather and hotspots on the center screen. 3) Check out Drive Select - specifically the "individual" mode, where you can select many drive modes to your taste. That you can toggle between comfort (wife mode) or individual (my sporty mode) is too cool!

I could go on for days on all the neat stuff I learned in the first few days but you can at your leisure. Audi has lots of online aids and the manual is very comprehensive. Have fun! .

Need a little glam for the interior

? Check out these custom mats I ordered:

Last edited by HDEddie1; 03-22-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe I read all 80+ pages of the forum within the first week of owning the car. So much information to be found! I’m enjoying Audi connect but haven’t tried out all the driving modes yet. First nice day and I’ll be out there! Nice mats and upholstery there!