Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Noise in Engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in Engine compartment

I've noticed that there seems to be an engine noise of something shifting/clunking once I hit around 20mph. It only does this when I start the car up and only once. Then it disappears.

Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Abs check pulses the brakes the first time the car hits 40 kmh after the engine is started
Old 02-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that's good to know!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

I have had my car for over 6 months and red this post yesterday. Last night I heard that noise for the first time. And guess what? I knew exactly what it was.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
I have had my car for over 6 months and red this post yesterday. Last night I heard that noise for the first time. And guess what? I knew exactly what it was.
Funny. It's not just a hearing thing. You (at least I) can feel it in the gas pedal as well.

This post got me thinking- this is at least the 5th post we've had asking the same question. I've wondered why we don't have a sticky for Read This First with the top x questions asked with the answers. At first I thought AudiWorld's website couldn't handle stickies but then I found sticky posts at the top of the New Member Welcome Area so clearly it can be done. To answer my own question, I'm sure it's becomes it becomes a maintenance thing - who has the time to keep it current. Still, I've kept the Q5 / SQ5 Reported Issues and Fixes post current - but most people will never see it since it's so far down the list. This issue is #8 on the list
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I commented a while back that the dealer should be telling people this during the new car orientation process. You see this question every couple of months (I feel the thump in the gas pedal as well).

I am 100% surprised there wasn't a smart a$$ response of "The noise in the engine compartment is just the engine. Makes the car go voom voom!" Oh, well, looks like I fixed that!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
I commented a while back that the dealer should be telling people this during the new car orientation process. You see this question every couple of months (I feel the thump in the gas pedal as well).

I am 100% surprised there wasn't a smart a$$ response of "The noise in the engine compartment is just the engine. Makes the car go voom voom!" Oh, well, looks like I fixed that!
As one of the resident smart a$$es, I would have replied if I could hear the noise, or feel the clunk. But I can't.
So, on a serious note (pardon the pun), not being able to hear or feel any difference other than smoothness while accelerating between 20 to 30 mph has me concerned. When this was first posted, I tried to replicate the behavior, but i'm not able to. If my ABS system was not working properly, I'd assume a dash light would come on. Nothing there. Or is this one of those systems where in some cars it is obvious, while in others, not so much? The way I'm reading the responses, it almost makes me think that Audi designed in behavior as a way for drivers to check their system.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not sure exactly what the purpose is (sounds like it is an ABS self check), but if you are gentle on the throttle at that speed (40 kph if metric), you feel 3 crisp thumbs on the gas petal. Might not be noticeable if hard on the throttle.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
I'm not sure exactly what the purpose is (sounds like it is an ABS self check), but if you are gentle on the throttle at that speed (40 kph if metric), you feel 3 crisp thumbs on the gas petal. Might not be noticeable if hard on the throttle.
Very gentle on the throttle, have the exhaust sound in the comfort mode and am on a smooth surface. Not hearing or feeling a thing. On another note, when the car was new it generated a large amount of brake dust. After the first month or so (about 1000 miles), the generated brake dust disappeared and my wheels have been clean. However, when I do apply the brakes the first couple of times after the car has been sitting for a while, the brakes feel like they grab. After those initial stops, the grabbing goes away, and the feel is progressive. I have just assumed that there is condensation or dampness on the pads/rotors and they are drying themselves off. But now I'm wondering if I possibly have a brake problem?? Hmmm?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure why you don't hear the thump thump, but the rest of what you are describing is normal. Initial dust could just be a wear layer on the pads to help bed the brakes when new. Once you park for a bit, the rotor surface rusts a bit so the pads grab hard. After a couple of stops that wears away, and everything will be normal again.

Quick Reply: Noise in Engine compartment