Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Paid off my SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paid off my SQ5

Hey all,

used Audi financials and paid off my SQ5, quick question, when I received my congratulation notice along with the notice of recorded lien, it states that I should go to my DMV and obtain a new title?

When I first got my car for the first several weeks, I already received my title stating that I am the owner.

Do do I need to go to true DMV to obtain a new title? I have never done that for my previous car I owned.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
Hey all,

used Audi financials and paid off my SQ5, quick question, when I received my congratulation notice along with the notice of recorded lien, it states that I should go to my DMV and obtain a new title?

When I first got my car for the first several weeks, I already received my title stating that I am the owner.

Do do I need to go to true DMV to obtain a new title? I have never done that for my previous car I owned.
usually if you hav a loan, the title will show you as owner but the lender as lien holder. So now that the lender has released the lien, you need to get the title updated to remove the lender. Otherwise you will run into trouble down the road when you want to sell...

Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Not really since Audi would have signed off on the pink. Now if Audi was listed on the pink and no signature on the line..... This is how it is in CA at least. YMMV
Our registration will show both on it but when paid off we will get the pink with a sig on it.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hendoo

usually if you hav a loan, the title will show you as owner but the lender as lien holder. So now that the lender has released the lien, you need to get the title updated to remove the lender. Otherwise you will run into trouble down the road when you want to sell...

Not sure if this varies by state, but in RI I have never had to go to the DMV to get the title after paying off a loan. As you mention, my title shows me as the owner and AFS as the lienholder, but there's a section for "release of lien" which AFS signed off when they mailed the title to me.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

If you sold the car back to a dealer, it wouldn’t be a big deal. They would see the release of lien.

But, to clear up my titles, I do typically go to the dmv and apply for a new clean title. Vanity and self congratulations I guess.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
Hey all,

Since each state's regs are different, I'd suggest you might want to post your state, and then throw it out there.......
Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audi40
Not sure if this varies by state, but in RI I have never had to go to the DMV to get the title after paying off a loan. As you mention, my title shows me as the owner and AFS as the lienholder, but there's a section for "release of lien" which AFS signed off when they mailed the title to me.
with the congratulation notice I did have it signed off and a box checked off saying it was satisfied.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

When I paid off my last car in California, I just kept the CA title slip with "*** No title issued, Contact DMV for Title***" for years until I wanted to sell my car. At that point, I finally went to the DMV with the signed-off title that I received from the bank and had the lien officially released. The rules say that you have to get the lien released within 30 days of paying off the loan, but they said that they don't care when I called to ask. You can even mail it into the DMV and skip the DMV visit, but there's a possibility that it'll get lost in the mail and it's a hassle to get that resolved.