Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

painting 20" 5-segment-spoke wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting 20" 5-segment-spoke wheels?

Has anyone tried to get their 5-segment-spoke design wheels painted to match the European spec colors?
The two-tone European specs look way better than the plan grey
Attached Thumbnails painting 20" 5-segment-spoke wheels?-screen_shot_2017_05_28_at_10_53_12_pm_7345eed25577e4c509cc1262dfafaf085975cd4f.png  
Old 10-03-2017, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told those are just machined wheels. But I am curious too. The drawback to machined wheels is that you lose the cleargloss protection.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cakasky
I was told those are just machined wheels. But I am curious too. The drawback to machined wheels is that you lose the cleargloss protection.
What do you mean by machined wheels? Can't they paint the US version wheels like that regardless if they're machined or not?
Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UCDaHacker
What do you mean by machined wheels? Can't they paint the US version wheels like that regardless if they're machined or not?
I asked the exact same questions and what the wheel machine shop told me is that taping and painting part of the wheel is too extensive, not cost effective, and simply won't turn out just right. Instead it was suggested based on that same picture I showed the shop is that they paint the whole wheel and then machine the shiny parts sticking out farther which is the same effect. However, I was edumacated about the differences which led me to realizing the machined portion is a lot more susceptible to scratching and requires more maintenance due to the sheer fact it does not have the same clear gloss protection. The cost of painting and machining the wheels was reasonable (I just can't remember how much, but it was significantly better cost wise). I do remember the pitfall that the shop would need the vehicle for about a week though.

Here is some info on machined vs painted wheels:
http://www.wheelkraftnw.com/machine-...painted-wheels
Old 10-05-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that there’s actually a difference between the Canadian and US 20” wheels? Considering they’re both made at the same factory you would think it wouldn't make sense to have essentially the same wheels for both except for the two toned difference. Too bad you couldn’t just request the other wheels..

I’m lucky and get the two-toned which I really don’t mind. If I had the US version I’d probably be swapping them out for the black rims. Or maybe powder coat them?
Old 10-05-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kbcanada
Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that there’s actually a difference between the Canadian and US 20” wheels? Considering they’re both made at the same factory you would think it wouldn't make sense to have essentially the same wheels for both except for the two toned difference. Too bad you couldn’t just request the other wheels..

I’m lucky and get the two-toned which I really don’t mind. If I had the US version I’d probably be swapping them out for the black rims. Or maybe powder coat them?
+1 To powder coating! I likely next year will also get scratches fixed and then powder coat it to something different as well.

The Alloy Wheels on these Audi's seem to attract curbs for me . So I find myself getting them repaired more often than normal. Repairing a Powder Coated wheel is easier and cheaper than a machined wheel for anyone interested and the guys that do it here are mobile and will come to your home (Caveat: For Powder Coating repairs only).
Old 10-05-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cakasky
I asked the exact same questions and what the wheel machine shop told me is that taping and painting part of the wheel is too extensive, not cost effective, and simply won't turn out just right. Instead it was suggested based on that same picture I showed the shop is that they paint the whole wheel and then machine the shiny parts sticking out farther which is the same effect. However, I was edumacated about the differences which led me to realizing the machined portion is a lot more susceptible to scratching and requires more maintenance due to the sheer fact it does not have the same clear gloss protection. The cost of painting and machining the wheels was reasonable (I just can't remember how much, but it was significantly better cost wise). I do remember the pitfall that the shop would need the vehicle for about a week though.

Here is some info on machined vs painted wheels:
Machine Finish vs. Painted Wheels Wheelkraft NW
Couldn't they do something like this?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UCDaHacker
Couldn't they do something like this?
Of course, but you will spend as much per wheel versus buying it OEM. Single color for a 20” to powder coat not requiring any masking is around $125 per wheel.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why on Earth would anyone spend any money on these wheels? Get new wheels. Their a lot of nice wheels for @$250.00.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chiefmjk
Why on Earth would anyone spend any money on these wheels? Get new wheels. Their a lot of nice wheels for @$250.00.
I like the stock clean look unless you know of any other wheels that would look good on this SUV