Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV
View Poll Results: Driver Assistance Package with it?
Yes
77.55%
No
22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: YES or NO on the Driver Assistance Package?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: YES or NO on the Driver Assistance Package?

Is the DAP worth it on the Q5?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO: Absolutely, otherwise what other real reason is there to upgrade? Might as well get an older model. Just my humble opinion.

I suppose another way of looking at it is if you had to pay for the push button to open and close your windows versus the roller ****, would you? Of course some of you may not even know what I'm referring too either. So use your imagination.

EDIT:
Obviously one downside is that DAP requires the HUD technology which may not always be cost effective. Nevertheless I would imagine it's one of those features that once you have it you will always want it.

Last edited by cakasky; 07-23-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:12 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm an old guy, on the far side of the big 7-0 and I believe the most valuable granny/nanny driver's assist is the "side assist" for the blind spot. I've managed to stay away from driver's distractions for almost 60 years. Blind spot is a problem regardless of experience. The other avoidance whistles are nothing more than a substitute for brainless inattention.
I understand there's a way to energize most of the DAP with an OBD program. It has been addressed here in the forums for the past several months. So then my answer is "kinda no" for any DAP. 02
Old 07-23-2017, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Being in a city with bad traffic, the adaptive cruise control has been phenomenal on my Denali. I canceled my original SQ5 order to get one with DAP, this hopefully is as functional as the GMC's.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a version of this on my current Toyota Highlander and would never have a car without it. The cruise control, which I used to never use, is great. Can't wait to get my Q5 with even better features. I love blind spot monitoring. Consumer Reports this month as an article on safety features that actually are worth the upgrade.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm waiting for the verdict on whether these features like DAP and all of it's various components cause distracted drving or mitigate the results of distracted driving. As for now, I vote 'no'. Btw, adaptive crusie control came on a $26k Subaru that I bought and was not included on my Q5 that listed at almost 54k. However, my experience with adaptive cruise contol on numerous vehicles, including the 2016 S5, was similar to my experience with my father in laws 1984 Doege ES that kept talking to me and telling me 'a door is ajar'. In heavy traffic or rural interstate driving, it was pretty much a useless gimmick. The cross traffic alert when backing up is nice along with the blind spot warning, However, wish Audi would incorporate the warnings in the side view mirror (directly in the mirror and not on the side of it).
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey All - Please note a lot of the functions you are talking about are not specific to DAP. The blind spot monitoring and presense items are functional without DAP.

DAP includes Traffic Jam assist, Lane Assist, and traffic sign recognition.

I have adaptive cruise control on my Chrysler 300 and its amazing for interstate driving. However my system does not allow it to come to a complete stop - you must take over below 25mph. I believe the Audi system is much more advanced and I would say very much worth it if you have a commute for work every day.

I have never used lane assist so I cannot comment however this technology is in the infancy stages, so I believe it will greatly improve over the years.

That being said we did not get DAP for my wife's 2018 Q5; the reason is she would never use the adaptive cruise control or traffic jam assist. You have to realize this is something you have to be comfortable with to use. Some folks accept technology better than others. If it was my car I would have it.

(She is also going back to school so funds need to be modest at this time; if she was not I would have ordered it for sure. The next car we get will definitely have those features!)

FYI I voted yes
Old 07-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

DAP has been available on 2018 Q5 from the beginning. About 3 months in Audi modified DAP to include Lane Assit. I didn't want to cancel and reorder with lane assist. Not regretting my decision to include the DAP. I find it really useful. I actually wanted lane assist an was disappointed when I couldn't get it. Anything that makes you safer is worth the money for me.
Btw, the adaptive cruise control is really smooth and the traffic sign recognition functions really well. It help me focus on the speed limit. Saves me money, lol
Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone whom has ordered a Q5 with DAP seen their order show up in their dealers inventory online?

Just today I found just a couple dealers list a Q5 with DAP showing a VIN. This would indicate the factory is producing Q5's with DAP finally! Geesh what a long wait.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cakasky
Has anyone whom has ordered a Q5 with DAP seen their order show up in their dealers inventory online?

Just today I found just a couple dealers list a Q5 with DAP showing a VIN. This would indicate the factory is producing Q5's with DAP finally! Geesh what a long wait.
@cakasky

My dealer is ignoring me now

I look at their website twice a day hoping to see my q5....but so far nothing. Which means it didn't build on the week of the 16th

Quick Reply: POLL: YES or NO on the Driver Assistance Package?