Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Possible 1st Time Audi Buyer W/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible 1st Time Audi Buyer W/Questions

Hi all. Been reading here the past few days as we consider a purchase of a Q5. Went to a local dealer the other day and looked over a 2018. The wife is undecided if she likes the new look over the previous model. Will need to sort that out.

My one major question is this. We have owned a plethora of different cars/trucks/SUV's over the years. Besides my fist vehicle made in the 80's, neither of us have owned a 4 cylinder. Nearly all the Q5's in our area have the turbo 2.0. We need to do a test drive but that only does so much in overall driving experience. My concern is having enough power on the highway, running 65-75 and being able to pass a truck, merge,etc. We don't drive reckless at 90mph on the highway but I think you all know what I mean.

Is the 2.0 rapped out at higher speeds? Is there enough power to drive comfortably?

Currently in a 14 Grand Cherokee with the V6 and 8 speed transmission. Love the setup. Very smooth, plenty of power, great shifting and it's been a very reliable SUV for us. Don't want to regret going with the 2.0.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rightside49
Hi all. Been reading here the past few days as we consider a purchase of a Q5. Went to a local dealer the other day and looked over a 2018. The wife is undecided if she likes the new look over the previous model. Will need to sort that out.

My one major question is this. We have owned a plethora of different cars/trucks/SUV's over the years. Besides my fist vehicle made in the 80's, neither of us have owned a 4 cylinder. Nearly all the Q5's in our area have the turbo 2.0. We need to do a test drive but that only does so much in overall driving experience. My concern is having enough power on the highway, running 65-75 and being able to pass a truck, merge,etc. We don't drive reckless at 90mph on the highway but I think you all know what I mean.

Is the 2.0 rapped out at higher speeds? Is there enough power to drive comfortably?

Currently in a 14 Grand Cherokee with the V6 and 8 speed transmission. Love the setup. Very smooth, plenty of power, great shifting and it's been a very reliable SUV for us. Don't want to regret going with the 2.0.

Thanks in advance.
Your concern is the reason I purchased the 2107 3.0T. Test drove the 2.0, 3.0 and SQ5. SQ5 was a great ride but a little more than I wanted to spend. 3.0T was hands down a much better ride over the 2.0 when it came to passing at higher speed.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Your best thing is really to drive them. I've spent extensive time driving each.

The 2.0 for 2018 makes 252 hp/273 lb/ft and uses the 7 speed DSG transmission. 0-60 quoted as 5.9 seconds.

The 3.0 for 2017 was 272 hp and 295 ft/lbs, and used the 8 speed transmission. 0-60 was quoted as 5.6 seconds.

The new one is lighter than the outgoing one as well.

There is more than enough power, I find, for the types of roads we have in my area, which range from mountain/hills, to flat highway. And the tech options alone make it worthwhile
Old 06-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove the 2.0 and thought it was nimble, quick and plenty powerful. Full disclosude: I ordered the SQ5, but mostly because my spouse liked the Nappa seats and alcantara door inserts....
Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Weber
I test drove the 2.0 and thought it was nimble, quick and plenty powerful. Full disclosude: I ordered the SQ5, but mostly because my spouse liked the Nappa seats and alcantara door inserts....
To add to that, I took the SQ5 out yesterday for a nice drive. Extremely quick, very light on it's feet, no massive comfort difference vs a standard Q5 (the SQ had the 21's). I just found it a bit too quiet. But it's a helluva sleeper, as it does not look over the top at all
Old 06-03-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

We are also coming from a Jeep (2007 Rubicon) and first time audi buyers. My husband found the q5 to be as nimble as our Jeep and deceptively quick. In full disclosure, I have not driven the q5 yet as I terrify SA's since I am new to driving an auto transmission.

Last edited by havery; 06-03-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks in advance.
I've owned the '18 Q5 for a little over a week now. I can tell you, without question, that there is more than enough power on the highway, including the ability to pass trucks and merge. Audi has built a great engine, IMO, with the 2.0 in that it can do what you need it to and provide some fuel efficiency as well. I came out of a S5 with a V8 engine, although granted it was a '09 vehicle that was not without it's problems in recent years.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the replies. We do need to drive one. Not sure if any 3.0's are in our area yet, but I need to check.

We we are also looking at the x3,x5(way pricey), MDX and a few others. The Q5 is a smaller size than others, but should work for us.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the replies. We do need to drive one. Not sure if any 3.0's are in our area yet, but I need to check.

We we are also looking at the x3,x5(way pricey), MDX and a few others. The Q5 is a smaller size than others, but should work for us.
I also test drove the X3 when shopping for the Q5. Q5 is in a different league from the X3, no comparison.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the 17 Q5 with 3.0 and I selected that engine primarily because I don't like the lag of a turbo, which I had in my previous 2 cars. The 2.0 has plenty of power but the 3 is just smoother. And since I only have 5k on it, dealer is offering a trade for an '18 because I'm disappointed with the older electronics.

Quick Reply: Possible 1st Time Audi Buyer W/Questions