Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Presense false activation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Presense false activation

I was driving down a straight road, two lanes on each side. I was in the center lane, going about 35mph, no car in front of me for at least a hundred feet, a couple of cars in the outside lane, but nothing really close there either.

All of a sudden the brake slammed automatically and the presense triangle was displayed on the dash. I looked around and could not figure out what possibly could have caused it.

Anyone else ever see a false triggering of their pre-sense?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a your system detected a Ghost? Just kidding.... please keep us posted on this as is interesting for all of us as well as for me, I will receive my SQ5 by the end of august
Old 07-17-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paperbridge
I was driving down a straight road, two lanes on each side. I was in the center lane, going about 35mph, no car in front of me for at least a hundred feet, a couple of cars in the outside lane, but nothing really close there either.

All of a sudden the brake slammed automatically and the presense triangle was displayed on the dash. I looked around and could not figure out what possibly could have caused it.

Anyone else ever see a false triggering of their pre-sense?
I experienced a similar false positive incident too this past week in a busy highway in Chicago during rush hour, but without the automatic braking part. I have a 2018 Q5 prestige model. I was in the left lane doing 45-50 miles/hour with no car in front of me, when all of a sudden I saw the red triangle indicator in the virtual cockpit and heard the beeping sound alerting me of a potential hazard in front of me. I gently applied the breaks and slowed down a bit wondering what had just happened for it to go off. Luckily the car didn't automatically slam the brakes on its own because someone else from behind could have very well rear-ended me. I found this incident quite worrisome!!! Note that the pre-sense system has been set-up to "early". I called the dealership to report this incident and find out more info about the pre-sense system. Their response was that they will look into it. I was flying in couple of days to go on vacation and didn't have time to take the car to the dealership, but I am planning to do so as soon as I get back. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im a lite worried about false auto brake functions as well; as this is going to be the wife's car. I have a far which has collision avoidance on it but it does not brake; just warns the driver. It definitely has occasional false warnings. I would say about 3 per year driving an average of 25000 miles. Its my opinion that this is acceptable as it is error on the safe side; however I am worried about the Audi's auto brake function and causing a rear end collision.

Does anyone know if the system stops the auto brake function if the drive puts any input into the brake during the event?

Is there a way to make sure a warning is displayed prior to auto brake (does setting it to early detection do this?)

Again I would expect the system to have some false warnings, but I need to have some confidence on why those false warnings are OK and not causing a situation that wouldn't normally occur.

Bests!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmiletta
Im a lite worried about false auto brake functions as well; as this is going to be the wife's car. I have a far which has collision avoidance on it but it does not brake; just warns the driver. It definitely has occasional false warnings. I would say about 3 per year driving an average of 25000 miles. Its my opinion that this is acceptable as it is error on the safe side; however I am worried about the Audi's auto brake function and causing a rear end collision.

Does anyone know if the system stops the auto brake function if the drive puts any input into the brake during the event?

Is there a way to make sure a warning is displayed prior to auto brake (does setting it to early detection do this?)

Again I would expect the system to have some false warnings, but I need to have some confidence on why those false warnings are OK and not causing a situation that wouldn't normally occur.

Bests!
I believe that if you apply brake pressure (at least to the degree that presense thinks you need to), the autobrake stops.

In my instance the triangle warning/alarm seemed to happen at the same time as the auto-braking. The auto-braking in my case was a quick jolt that probably reduced my speed from 35 to about 30mph. It was jarring, but it only lasted for an brief period.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by skitsiou
I experienced a similar false positive incident too this past week in a busy highway in Chicago during rush hour, but without the automatic braking part. I have a 2018 Q5 prestige model. I was in the left lane doing 45-50 miles/hour with no car in front of me, when all of a sudden I saw the red triangle indicator in the virtual cockpit and heard the beeping sound alerting me of a potential hazard in front of me. I gently applied the breaks and slowed down a bit wondering what had just happened for it to go off. Luckily the car didn't automatically slam the brakes on its own because someone else from behind could have very well rear-ended me. I found this incident quite worrisome!!! Note that the pre-sense system has been set-up to "early". I called the dealership to report this incident and find out more info about the pre-sense system. Their response was that they will look into it. I was flying in couple of days to go on vacation and didn't have time to take the car to the dealership, but I am planning to do so as soon as I get back. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Not had this problem. However, dealer did say when we picked up the car to set it to MEDIUM to somewhat desensitize the system. I can only read between the lines, but perhaps the early setting is overly cautious.

This does not suggest I think that what happened is "OK" but I do believe it would be worth setting it to MEDIUM until there is a software or sensor "fix."
Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Not had this problem. However, dealer did say when we picked up the car to set it to MEDIUM to somewhat desensitize the system. I can only read between the lines, but perhaps the early setting is overly cautious.

This does not suggest I think that what happened is "OK" but I do believe it would be worth setting it to MEDIUM until there is a software or sensor "fix."
Great feedback!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was cruising about 60mph in left lane of, 3lsne road. About 100yrds ahead a car was slowed to turn left. I started to get over to midlane. As soon as I started to get over pre-sense went off with a loud audible and a triaglee warning on VC. I was in no way shape or form Going to hit that guy. Especially how far up he was up there in front. Crazy that the radar scans that far ahead though.

Kind of freaked me out at first. Thought that it was a tirr bloe warning at first.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a similar incident this past weekend. Driving on a highway at approx 110 km/h or 65 mph the pre-sense warning came on and the brakes did engage momentarily. My wife was driving and was startled but I did see a chip bag float by which would have set it off. Thankfully it only put the brakes on for a split second. I'll have to check the sensitivity setting.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

It would be nice to know the sensitivity level set for these false indicators.

Quick Reply: Presense false activation