Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Programmed Garage door opener buttons go invalid after couple days

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmed Garage door opener buttons go invalid after couple days

I have a simple chamberlain garage door opener (single door, Homelink compatible, of course). I successfully programmed the button in my Q5. So I can open the garage door by pressing button I over my head. However, after couple days, the button went invalid. It didn't work any more.
I programmed it again, it was good for a few days, and then, stopped working.
So last time, I programmed all the three buttons to open the same (and my only) garage door. I only used button II. Couple days later, it stopped working again. But button I and III are still working.
I guess it won't be long before the other two buttons run out of "luck".

Anyone has the same problem?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No such problems here on my wife's Q5. (Trust me, I _would_ hear about it if it were to occur!) Is there any chance you've programmed other cars for your garage door opener? I think they have a limit to how many remotes they support and who knows how the opener determines which ones to forget.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Recenty my wife and I both got new cars. I first programed her homelink buttons (Honda pilot) for both our garage doors, which worked for a few weeks... Then I got my q5. Programmed my homelink buttons for both our doors and we noticed her car quit opening my door. Like it forgot.

Do you have any other buttons you are programming for your door?
Old 11-08-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fun4stuff
Recenty my wife and I both got new cars. I first programed her homelink buttons (Honda pilot) for both our garage doors, which worked for a few weeks... Then I got my q5. Programmed my homelink buttons for both our doors and we noticed her car quit opening my door. Like it forgot.

Do you have any other buttons you are programming for your door?
no, i really don't
Old 11-08-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try clearing/resetting all codes on the garage door motor itself.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same [problem here.... hope to have some answers from someone!!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same for me, looking for answer.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:10 PM
tte
Audiworld Junior Member

Happened to me a couple times. I just left it alone. It usually comes back the next day without me doing anything. Once I kept trying, and it took about 5 minutes for it to come back. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong (of course). These intermittent problems are a real pain, but the more people reporting this to their dealers, the more chance Audi will fix it.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure, but I think a lot of these garage door openers use "rotating" codes that are used in order. So, if you use remote A five times, then you need to hit remote B a few times for it to catch up. The door opener in my Q5 rarely works if I push the button just one time. In my case, the solution is to hold the button down until the door opens, then let go. I haven't had any problems doing it this way.

This also explains why your button II stopped working and buttons I and III continue to work. Basically, button II is out of sync and you'll need to hold it to continue incrementing the code until it matches the code that unlocks the door.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

If you have a garage door opener with rolling codes, which pretty much all garage door openers from the last 10 years have, then make sure you don't use the remote that was used to program the Homelink in the car. The car effectively replaces that remote and If you keep using it, then the rolling codes get out of sync. Every time the remote is used, the rolling code changes and if you have two remotes with the same signature then the code sequence gets out of sync on the other remote. It may catch up if you press the button a few times like somebody else said, but you should put the remote you used to program your car away in a drawer and never touch it again, until you get a new car that you need to program. Also if you have multiple cars, use different remotes to program them.

Quick Reply: Programmed Garage door opener buttons go invalid after couple days