Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5 jerks every time it stops

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone having successfully resolved this issue at the dealer... do you have any specific information on the fix?

Not sure if we're talking about the same issue, but I have complained on here about a slight shudder when coming to a stop... somewhere around 1 mph. Some on here speculated it was a nuance of the dual clutch transmission. Was told by the dealer that the shudder is normal. Other Audi vehicles with the dual clutch transmission (two Q5s and an A4) exhibited the same behavior when the foreman compared them to ours.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went to the dealer today for a service appointment. I was told they updated the software and the jerk should be gone. They didn't tell me the detail (which software, what version, etc.), though. After testing it, I found the jerk is still there, but it doesn't happen every time. I only feel it occasionally.

Will pay attention and give you guys an update in the following days when i drive more.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frogs9497
Anyone having successfully resolved this issue at the dealer... do you have any specific information on the fix?

Not sure if we're talking about the same issue, but I have complained on here about a slight shudder when coming to a stop... somewhere around 1 mph. Some on here speculated it was a nuance of the dual clutch transmission. Was told by the dealer that the shudder is normal. Other Audi vehicles with the dual clutch transmission (two Q5s and an A4) exhibited the same behavior when the foreman compared them to ours.
I think it is a universal problem for 2018 Q5. When I was in the dealer earlier today, the shuttle car driver gave me a ride using another 2018 Q5. I noticed exactly the same jerk. He told me it's such a universal problem.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rentonrenton
I think it is a universal problem for 2018 Q5. When I was in the dealer earlier today, the shuttle car driver gave me a ride using another 2018 Q5. I noticed exactly the same jerk. He told me it's such a universal problem.
My Q5 has nearly 7000 km on it but I only noticed this the past week or so (doesn't mean it wasn't there though). It is almost like it is starting to activate the Stop-Start and shut off the engine but stays on. Glad to know it is just one of the quirks we are discovering with this car.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is only one situation this happens for me. Going up a slight uphill slowly and I take my foot off the gas. As the car decelerates, it feels like it is about to stall and it jerks as it shifts into gear, but does not stall.
The following users liked this post:
cp19 (02-13-2020)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pgi007
My Q5 has nearly 7000 km on it but I only noticed this the past week or so (doesn't mean it wasn't there though). It is almost like it is starting to activate the Stop-Start and shut off the engine but stays on. Glad to know it is just one of the quirks we are discovering with this car.
I too have experienced a slight shudder/clunk on occasion as my 2018 Q5 comes to a stop, even though the Start/Stop system is off. I agree that it feels as if the engine is about to shut down, the same feeling as when Start/Stop is enabled. The consensus here seems to be that it's the transmission shifting down into first gear just before the stop, but I'm wondering if it might be the Quattro Ultra moving between two-wheel and four-wheel drive. In any case, I tried an experiment today. I drove in stop-and-go traffic with the transmission in S, which, among other things, disables the Start/Stop system and forces the car into permanent four-wheel drive. For what it's worth, I didn't experience the clunk. I say "for what it's worth" because I rarely experienced (or rarely noticed) the clunk when the car was in D and this experiment was for a limited time. So, I'm not saying that driving in S mode (which has several clear benefits at the expense of a mpg or two) will solve the problem, but it might be worth a try.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stuven
I too have experienced a slight shudder/clunk on occasion as my 2018 Q5 comes to a stop, even though the Start/Stop system is off. I agree that it feels as if the engine is about to shut down, the same feeling as when Start/Stop is enabled. The consensus here seems to be that it's the transmission shifting down into first gear just before the stop, but I'm wondering if it might be the Quattro Ultra moving between two-wheel and four-wheel drive. In any case, I tried an experiment today. I drove in stop-and-go traffic with the transmission in S, which, among other things, disables the Start/Stop system and forces the car into permanent four-wheel drive. For what it's worth, I didn't experience the clunk. I say "for what it's worth" because I rarely experienced (or rarely noticed) the clunk when the car was in D and this experiment was for a limited time. So, I'm not saying that driving in S mode (which has several clear benefits at the expense of a mpg or two) will solve the problem, but it might be worth a try.
I don't think it has anything to do with the start/stop system. I turned off the start/stop system and changed to dynamic and S mode. The jerking is still there.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same on my Q5 : Rough shifting. Today, while servicing my Q5, the dealer lent me a 2018 A4 with the same engine and transmission (I think). Wow, so smooth !?!? I now wonder if something is wrong with some mechanical part or software ? Or it's a Q5 "feature" ?
Old 11-03-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by larrylotus
Same on my Q5 : Rough shifting. Today, while servicing my Q5, the dealer lent me a 2018 A4 with the same engine and transmission (I think). Wow, so smooth !?!? I now wonder if something is wrong with some mechanical part or software ? Or it's a Q5 "feature" ?
I suppose it’s possible we’re all referring to different things. That said, the A4 loaner I drove had the same shudder that I’ve been experiencing in my Q5.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The shudder/clunk really spoils the quiet, luxurious and smooth feel of this new Q5. A mechanic familiar with VW/Audi told me this problem was a characteristic of double clutch. This is after all a manual gearbox operated by a computer. Software fixes are at best only temporary. As your car ages and acquires more mileage, the shudder/clunk may intensify. Hopefully by then owners will either get accustomed to it or have sold the car.

Quick Reply: Q5 jerks every time it stops